1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Hull and back

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Westlake33, Sep 5, 2018.

1. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

Gerkin not giving any confidence.

San Diego likes this.
  2. Southcoastoldgaffer

Was that our 1st shot on goal?

3. Southcoastoldgaffer

So in the 87th minute we now have Jackson, Harrison and Walters on the park...hmm.

4. Southcoastoldgaffer

Houston, we have a PROBLEM!

5. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

Hmmm,not good.

6. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

**** result, **** performance, **** decision making from the manager, **** referee

7. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

That was really poor

Gerken - Doesn't fill me with confidence at all. Doesn't come for aerial balls and I'm scared when he's in one v one situations. Will unfortunately keep his place due to a couple of saves that any 'keeper should make
    Spence - sorry but Donacien is better
    Pennington - the best of the back line
    Chambers - meh, too many passes between him, Knudsen and then back to the 'keeper. Brings back memories of last season
    Knudsen - meh...see above
    Graham - hit and miss. Tries to make something happen but fails when it matters
    Downes - not a great game from him, needs to improve
    Skuse - just Skuse
    Edwards - our main attacking threat and helps out in defence
    Nolan - so far not been as good as I was hoping he would be
    Walters - needs a partner with pace alongside him to put the defence under pressure.

Lots of hoof ball from the back today, Pennington can see a long pass though, which is different to the hoofs from the other three players in the back line. Goalkeeper flaps at high balls and is not quick off his line to smother dangerous situations. Midfield were not good enough in the centre with Downes and Skuse adding little in attack. Walters was isolated and Graham wasted some good chances and free kicks.
    Hurst waited far too long to make changes to either shape or personnel and reminded me of Mick today. He's also making too many changes to the first eleven in search of a result
    We're getting no love from the referees so far this season with another one sided display in favour of the home team.

I think Donacien and Edun deserve game time but we're definitely missing options in the middle of the pitch at the moment. We're lacking clinical strikers and the creative service to make chances, not a good recipe for winning games is it?

Southcoastoldgaffer and Nuggets like this.
  8. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

Who’s worried? Poor result, poor performance, and not a lot of enuthusiasm left around the club if this continues for a few more weeks.

I don’t think we will get anything against Brentford in a few days, that leaves must win games against Bolton and Birmingham later this month. Unsettled line up, good players being left out, poor results, and the over reliance on loanees harks back to the Jewell years. Something needs to change otherwise we’ll be adrift in the bottom three after a couple of months.

Southcoastoldgaffer likes this.
  9. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

I was worried before a ball was kicked this season with half the rubbish and singling out Hurst was doing.

I became more worried when he was intent on building the biggest squad known to mankind.

But hey, what do I know. We'll have to see ultimately.

fieldmarshall likes this.
  10. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

Just got back to the hotel and I have to say that performance was bloody appalling, we spent most of the first half in our own half, gave away a soft goal and nearly did it again a few minutes later, in the second half with a few minutes to go we had our first and only shot on target in the entire game, with one clearance off the line and Gerks saving 2 with his feet in the second half Spence contrived to hand them a second goal.
    Pitiful skills, pathetic passing, no ball reaching the front players because of a useless midfield, it was so easy for a poor team to beat us.
    Anyone who thinks that it won't be long before this ragbag of a team clicks and all will be well must have the IQ of a pork pie, and serious questions must be asked of the management team who quite honestly look out of their depth at Championship level, it may change of course and I hope it does but not confident..

11. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

STILL I would rather this than Mick McCarthy.

The strangest things happen in football. It might just happen against Brentford.

There were periods of the game today when I felt if we played like the good spell for 90 minutes and had a couple of strikers on we'd be flying.

Bart needs to come back in for Gerken, who was hopeless today.

Donacien needs to come back in for Spence, who is a liability.

Nsiala or Collins should come in for Chambers, who just isn't up to it.

Chalobah needs to come in for Skuse who for much of the game was playing like a central defender and always playing to the side or backwards.

It's time to go with two up - any of Harrison, Walters, Jackson or Sears.

We need to do a LOT of work on the training ground in around the opposition box because every player who gets the ball there looks like they don't know what to do next.

12. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

It was the worst half of football I have ever seen a Town side play, but that's not true of most of the rest of the season.

Now their backs are really against the wall perhaps they will come out fighting and maybe we will see a change of approach from the manager.

13. themaclad

themaclad Well-Known Member

Good job your lads are crap otherwise we'd be bottom

14. Mike_Holmes1990

Mike_Holmes1990 Well-Known Member

Getting very difficult to remain positive. Aside from the result and performance today it feels like the management are starting to lose faith in their own system, but still wanting to give it time to settle. The result being no system at all.

However, I refuse to give in to the urge to lose belief in the "new era".

- we are (relying on reports) significantly better at Portman road, the performances against West Ham, Aston Villa, and Norwich are examples. It recalls the season with Jim where we were almost invincible at home but couldn't buy a win away. This makes me positive for the upcoming week, may not get a win but I feel it's most likely to come at home. Get the season started then confidence will return.

Hurst has shown willingness to change the team, players know there is competition for spaces. Unlike the previous manager where players seemed to be allowed to get complacent - I accept this may be being applied in the "wrong" way currently but it's still a comparative positive.

The players Hurst has worked with are seen as the leading lights in the good moments, the players from last season are the weak links (again, I'm mostly relying on reports and comments but this poor run started last season so I really think Waghorns goals early in the season masked bigger problems with the squad). This makes me feel positive that his ideas do work, it's just we are constantly trying it with a new 11. This point also makes me more sympathetic to his desire to replace the whole squad. But it does need to stop so the squad can feel settled.

There are unquestionably massive concerns, we are where we deserve to be in the table, it's frustrating and it makes match days miserable but its not all doom and gloom yet. I stated before I was content to reserve judgement until Halloween - the keane benchmark - I stick to that.

15. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

Looks like we need to recruit McCarthy to save us again by the end of October!

16. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Don’t be ridiculous Warky. It’s his mess Hurst is now having to clear up.

17. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

The old guard of Chambers, Spence, Knudsen and Skuse are in my opinion the reason why we're not progressing. It was much of the same from those four today resulting in a much of the same performance. Skuse, lauded by some for breaking up play etc just doesn't do enough with the ball and the duties he has should be able to be covered by somebody else that can ALSO add clever balls being played forward. Being able to see a run or put a foot in is basic football that most players are capable of. A CB pairing of Collins and Pennington seems appealing, Chambers isn't up to it, especially playing on the left next to Knudsen. LB is a problem that we don't really have an answer to unless we use Edun there. Not been impressed by Jonas or Kenlock.
    It is a new team and I'm not going to panic yet but Hurst needs to let some of these players start forming partnerships on the pitch. Donacien and Edwards down the left is a good one to start with. We also need to settle on a solid CB partnership and 'keeper so that at least we can stop conceding goals.

18. Castro Sito

Castro Sito Well-Known Member

Despite his failings he clearly knew how to keep a s**t team in this league.
    I think we’ll be lucky to stay up this season.

johnnywarksmoustache likes this.
  19. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

Our form is terrific.

We've won TWO in NINETEEN over last / this season - H last season to relegated Barnsley, and A at likely to be relegated this season.

We've won ONE in TWELVE at home.

We've won ONE in NINE away. Eight losses.

Just an absolute shower right now.

Brentford poses an opportunity.

20. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Every match is a chance for a win but wow, those are horrible numbers, Westy.

Westlake33 likes this.