1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Hughes vs Hassenhuttl

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc), Apr 4, 2019.

1. Ian Thumwood

Ian Thumwood Well-Known Member

Wondered if anyone else had noticed the similarity between Ralph and the bloke in Midsomer Murders?

2. ihatemyselfandwanttodie

ihatemyselfandwanttodie Well-Known Member

3. One of yer Norvern Saints

One of yer Norvern Saints Well-Known Member

Mate, some of us part with hard earned cash to watch Saints. We are allowed opinions, and watching a team have a go at the opponent is all we ask. Few of us would have argued with the result against Liverpool or City. They were good teams but we turned up, that's all we ask. Of course it's great when we turn over a top team like Arsenal, but don't be so disparaging about the fans. They see what they see - and not on the telly. AT THE MATCH, we see the players who put in a shift. This is why so many players derided by the armchair fan like you are appreciated by the fans who've turned up.

4. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

Welcome Norvern Saint..... . A lot of us echo your thoughts as I said before fans are not idiots. They see what they see and are quite entitled to air their view. No doubt we see things differently and have different understanding of the game. As you quite rightly added being at the game does often give you a totally different view than seeing things on the goggle box. As I said before........welcome to the fold........

5. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

Rather than our previous managers Stinging Nettles :)

6. I Sorry I Ruined The Party

I Sorry I Ruined The Party Well-Known Member

Football is entertainment. As the purchaser of entertainment, you get to decide if the final product is worth your money or not. That is the extent of your decision making.

You don’t get to pick managers, or choose the side or the tactics anymore than a movie studio would let the fans choose the director, actors, or film the scenes. You know why? Because the end product would be utter ****, and the fans will not take any responsibility for it (as they shouldn’t).

How many supporters had even heard of Hasenhuttl before he was appointed. That was done with no fan input whatsoever. I don’t see supporters staying away in droves because the club didn’t listen.

The supporters wanted Puel sacked and Hughes hired. The club would have likely been relegated. If Saints were in Championship next year, would the supporters be willing to cover the losses for the club going down based on their judgement? Of course not. Attendance would decrease and everyone would blame the board.

If the people running the club are not much smarter than the fans, we need to sack all of them. Why are the clubs spending millions on managers, scouts, coaches, and data infrastructure if all that was required was to ask a season ticket holder what they think?

7. garysfc

garysfc Well-Known Member

Here, here. Tells me more about the previous writer than the fans at the ground.

8. garysfc

garysfc Well-Known Member

That’s worded much better.

9. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

The fans' perception recently is that we have been in the mire for ages, whereas in reality it has been a season and a half...Puel may have been boring but he wasn't unsuccessful. I think many fans bought into Mark Hughes because he saved us and we thought (wrongly as it turned out) that things would be better when he was given a whole season after a summer where he could work on things. It turned out that he was little better than MP2....and there was every reason to suspect with 20:20 hindsight that Mauricio may have done just as well if he finished the season. So, like all teams in trouble, we looked for another saviour....and to give the board their due they have never gone for the usual suspects (Mark Hughes being the possible exception) and they looked for someone who was a better fit in the short and long term. Hasenhuttl was looking for a period away from management, so may have been unavailable at the beginning of the season, but was ready by the time we came a'knocking. Sometimes things just work out.

VocalMinority and StJabbo like this.
  10. Libby

Libby 9-0

That's not what he was saying though mate, he was responding to the 'I don't go to games so don't care...' when some people do so are entitled to their opinion.

No one is saying that you should consult fans for major decisions or even one sth (ffs <doh>) he was just making the point that there might be a good reason why matchgoers will stick up for players often slated by others.

The matchgoing fans are among the most important people at a club, football without fans is nothing.

You can't (or shouldn't) treat football fans the same as other businesses treat their 'customers'.

11. AshbySaint

AshbySaint Well-Known Member

They won’t be in the EPL any time soon though