1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Huddersfield Town vs Saints Saturday 26th August 3PM KO

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by saintsfcfan, Aug 23, 2017.

1. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

It is such a shame VD is being a cock.

Even though we kept a clean sheet yesterday, I think our defence always look vulnerable, particularly on crosses. With VD in the side you can pump in the crosses all day long and get nowhere.

The performance seems lower than MP1 and FLD, but we are just one or two players hitting form from being absolutely outstanding. In my view.

Archers Road and fatletiss like this.
  2. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

Spare us!! The present one is bad enough!!!!

fatletiss and thereisonlyoneno7 like this.
  3. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

Problem identified, solution identified, problem finding the answer to the solution. I shall just throw a name into the ring TSS. What about Arsenal's Joel Campbell, could pick him up for £5m, or again from the same club offering maybe £7m for Lopez?

4. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Joel Campbell isn't a big target striker as TSS has described, unless I've got the wrong person.

5. Le Saint

Le Saint Well-Known Member

I agree with the current conversation about a focal striker but I can't decide how to accommodate- i.e. who to leave out. After thinking about it here's my effort:

Forster (/McCarthy)

Soares Stephens Hoedt Bertrand (somebody cheer him up)

JWP Romeu Lemina Redmond(Tadic/Boufal)
    Gabbiadini <new target man>

Can't believe I've dropped Davis!

Gabbiadini given license to play off the target man or to supplement the middle/wide play

6. Le Saint

Le Saint Well-Known Member

Actually sod it. I love Austin. Put him in my line up as the target man and make it work...,

7. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Having just watched the highlights, I'm left with a few impressions;

Forster, who I've been critical of in the past, kept us in that.
    A CB pairing of Maya and Jack just isn't good enough, which isn't a criticism of either of them as individuals - just that, as a pair, they come unstuck too often.
    Davis and Redmond combined to create the best chance in the first half.
    When Cedric puts the ball into the box on the ground, there's a chance of someone getting on to it.
    Shane Long still scares the **** out of defenders.

fatletiss and thereisonlyoneno7 like this.
  8. Ian Thumwood

Ian Thumwood Well-Known Member

This is an interesting comment because I felt that when Boufal came on against Swansea he was far more effective winning the ball back from the Saints half than doing anything creative.

Defensively he played well. It is odd to have the likes of Boufal, Hojbjerg and Classie not in the team because of the money spent on them. There are times when I have felt Classie has been really good although I would add that he is rarely consistent throughout 90 minutes. Hojbjerg looked terrific in the friendly matches under Claude Puel but has never replicated these performances in league or cup games and has become an increasingly fringe player. As for Boufal, I was convinced that he would be sold on this summer so as to recover some of the costs. I wasn't convinced that a new manager would fancy him unless we went for another French coach or someone familiar with French football who knew of Boufal's reputation. I would rather he moved on and the money spent on a decent goal-scorer. At least Classie has shown he can perform and I think that Pierre Emil will eventually come good - an investment or the future. Booufal was bought to make an immediate impact and I just cannot see him getting in to this squad. Judging by the money we spent on him, how much does this make the ever excellent Steve Davis worth let alone Romeu? For me, Davis is as vital as VVD and perhaps our best bit of business in the transfer market after Rickie?

9. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

We have to accept that transfers will be hit or miss....you can hope that research will tip the odds in your favour, but nothing is foolproof. Recent hits are Romeu, Cedric and Gabbiadini. The jury is out on Boufal apparently, but I would be amazed if he ever amounts to much for us. You can choose a player with the right skills and character, but still discover that their brains aren't quick enough or adaptable enough for the PL. However, you have to have back ups in case of injury, so not everyone can be a starter.

We shouldn't take too much notice of the player's price....each one may be our dearest player....but this may reflect the market price, rather than suggesting they will be our best player.

10. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

In other words, he tries too hard. Don't get me wrong, I'd love too see him show us all what he's capable of, but from what we have seen so far, both Tadic and Redmond have a better all round game (though both can be frustrating).

I wouldn't even think of dropping Davis at this point btw.

11. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

I'm sure it's been mentioned that pretty much all these players are so, so young (sorry Davis). We saw how much players like Ward-Prowse and Redmond improved last year. Weekly performances will go up and down but it will all gradually move in the right direction.

12. Lovelocum

Lovelocum Well-Known Member

Play austin and gabbiadini together.

Puck and st_brendy like this.
  13. RedandWhiteManofKent

RedandWhiteManofKent Well-Known Member

Davis's play not to his normal high standard so far. Maybe his role as captain on the pitch shouldn't be underestimated though.

14. SaintinSerbia

SaintinSerbia Annoying Twat

Rickie is unemployed at the moment :(

15. Onionman

Onionman Well-Known Member

Ref rotating the scapegoat squad and putting Fraser into it in place of Yoshi:

Today:
    cf

Jun 28th:
    Vin

16. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

In fairness I think the 'world class' was tongue in cheek cos LMP loves him.

Saint Sosa and fatletiss like this.
  17. Onionman

Onionman Well-Known Member

You could be right. I think my judgment's clouded. I'm just slowly getting sick of scapegoat bingo. Actually, I'm just getting tired of the utter negativity of some people. I don't think they even notice how they see our games. Like plenty of our fans at home games, they seem to be looking for something to complain about.

Vin

Archers Road and fatletiss like this.
  18. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Boufal was signed with an injury Ian, so not quite sure where you get the "instant impact" from. No way was that possible last season. I'd hoped that he'd be flying this season with a good pre-season behind him. Not happened yet though.

19. Saint Sosa

Saint Sosa Well-Known Member

Wow, someone who can't pick up on sarcasm and has nothing better to do than check out 2 months worth of my comment history, which in itself proved nothing.

Rich likes this.
  20. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

Or we can view it as we aren't going to go down this year and we aren't going to challenge top 6 this year, with or without VVD. So if he is causing a big issue behind the scenes we can take the 60/70m and don't have to get a replacement straight away as Yoshida/Stephens/Hoedt should be fine til at least January.

We have every right to be annoyed I think that the club has not improved the attacking options this summer, but again, as FLT likes to say it is about what you expect from the team. In my view our first priority every season (like 13 other clubs) should be to get to 40 points ASAP and then anything on top is a bonus. So 5 points in the opening 3 games against other teams who are trying to do the same thing isn't a bad return in my view.