1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Huddersfield Town v Sunderland AFC – Wednesday 2nd November 2022 - KO 19:45

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by RTB, Oct 31, 2022.

?

Your prediction:

Poll closed Nov 2, 2022.
  1. Home win

3.1%
  2. Away win (SAFC)

78.1%
  3. Draw

18.8%
  1. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

Personally I am not a big fan of Mowbray...

However injuries to our 2 strikers has by and large left the team floundering. As teams just double up on our wingers and we have no upfront target man for an out. It may also mean we do not 'defend from the front'. Also IMHO we lack a bit of physicality strength and height. We concede from set pieces, but to date have not scored any this season, (lets hope tonight we change that). These problems are down (to injury of course) but Speakman has a lot to answer for before dear old Eeyore.

The Exile II likes this.
  2. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

That's a shame mate.

The recruitment is nothing to do with Mowbray and he's lost Ballard, Gooch, Alese, Stewart, Simms not to mention having to replace one of our most popular managers of recent times. He's played his hand quite well and had the courage to start players like Amad. Playing those like Michut and Bennette takes some nerve especially as a newly promoted side.

He was expected, by some, to pack the defence and grind out dreary draws but we've actually played some quality football imo.

But you're right, we must go for the win and hope to back it up on Saturday ...

... six points can make a huge difference in this division.

3. John Wick

John Wick Well-Known Member

it's been said by others on this thread and by me on others, the leauge is that open, we're a few points off 12th and bottom 3, Still early on in the season thus plenty of time. We're a good talented team with some exciting players, the frustrating thing is we just can't get a win. Draws are OK up to a point. Hopefully that win is tonight. Smug quoted Huddersfield forum with them saying, "we should be beating sunderland",otherway imo

Last edited: Nov 2, 2022
  4. LBW

LBW Well-Known Member

I know the buck stops with the manager but anybody with any brains can see he has been dealt a raw hand with injuries, I never wanted him I will be honest but I cant blame him entirely for our form. Injuries have crippled us and to be fair we have coped better than other squads may have. Nobody I mix with have mentioned turning on TM and I would like to think the majority of our support understand what he has been up against.

robinoz, Robertson, ab65 and 9 others like this.
  5. C19RK73

C19RK73 Red & White army!

Haaaaaaaaaawaaaaaaaaaay!

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  6. FellTop

FellTop Well-Known Member

I really dont think he will be under pressure at all personally. I think the club will know what a good job he has done after the last fella left us in the lurch. I bet they also know they have given him a bad hand with only 2 centre forwards. Personally I have enjoyed the football we play and I think we have a really bright future.

Tonight wont be easy, nothing is in this league. It is why it is the best league to be part of and so much fun. Clarke out is a blow, and that weakens us. It gives someone else a chance though. Like others say, front foot from the off, I am sure our fans will turn it into a home atmosphere.

7. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

You can count on less than one hand the number of games we haven't competed in in what is a tough league and we have a very young squad, some learning their trade in a foreign country.
    How anybody can point a finger at Mowbray considering what he's had to contend with injury wise, yet he's managed to keep us playing mainly on the front foot and giving a go right up to the final whistle.
    Yes we'd all like to be higher up the table but it's a long season and young players will have games like second half v Burnley.
    Bit of proper support wouldn't go amiss from some of our fans, and I don't mean blindly accepting everything that happens in the pitch. HTL.

8. spirit of 73

spirit of 73 Well-Known Member

Just been on the safc site and bought my £10 pass for tonight's game if anyone is interested.

9. Gordon Armstrong

Gordon Armstrong Just another S.A.F.C. fan
    Forum Moderator

Is that an invite to your gaff for the match, Spirit :angel:

smithy in nl likes this.
  10. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

match times coming
    the ball boys getting fat
    give us a penna ref
    you dirty rotten twat

11. RokerStoker

RokerStoker Well-Known Member

Get Benette on the left and start Simms. See how they go and change if necessary, rather than give them 10 minutes when we're 1 down.

Young Ted and Makemstine Roger like this.
  12. OldArgus

OldArgus Well-Known Member

we've not had one all season
    we've had such rotten luck
    but you could change our fortunes
    with a spot kick in your book

CJ9150, malagamackem, FellTop and 2 others like this.
  13. Nordic

Nordic Well-Known Member

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  14. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

Firestick

spirit of 73 likes this.
  15. The Exile II

The Exile II Well-Known Member

Aye we need big mobile lads to support the more technical players. Size and strength a priority in January. It looks like we're ok for quality.

16. spirit of 73

spirit of 73 Well-Known Member

With a chicken dinner thrown in mate. You'll have to tell me your favourite tipple. Are you OK with baby sitting also because I had to turn down an invite to the pub to watch the match. Is Wakefield too far?

17. Charley Farley

Charley Farley Well-Known Member

We’ve had the joint worst number of yellow cards in the Championship so far this season, 44.
    I don’t think we are that dirty or aggressive. We’ve had loads of poor decisions against us.
    Still, it’s supposed to even out over the season…..isn’t it!

18. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

cracking verse there argus just needed a slight adjustment at the end hope you don't mind

malagamackem likes this.
  19. smithy in nl

smithy in nl Well-Known Member

That’s absolutely mental tbf we’ve made “onien” two bad tackles all season and the kid got slated by our own fans. We always get **** on off officials.

20. OldArgus

OldArgus Well-Known Member

I was sorely tempted to use the word 'f***' in the last line because it was such an obvious choice, but as I was writing I could imagine my mother wagging a finger with a " don't you dare young man" so I chickened out.
    Old habits etc...