1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Huddersfield Town 0 v 0 Swansea City

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by Taffvalerowdy, Mar 4, 2018.

1. Taffvalerowdy

Taffvalerowdy Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image
    Huddersfield Town v Swansea City
    please log in to view this image

Barclays Premier League
    Date - Saturday, 10 March 2018
    Kick off - 3pm
    Venue - The John Smith's Stadium

Following their emphatic 4-1 home victory over relegation rivals West Ham United, next up for Carlos Carvalhal's Swansea City team is another relegation 6 pointer away at Huddersfield.

The Swans have secured an impressive 17pts from 9 PL matches under Carvalhal and will be hoping to pick up where they left off against a 'ragged' West Ham, where all 11 Swans players gave everything for the shirt and produced, arguably, their most dominant performance so far this season.

Whilst the Swans were beating the Hammers, Huddersfield were going down 2-0 Spurs. Heung-min Son scored twice as Tottenham strengthened their place in the top four in the Premier League with a comfortable 2-0 win over Huddersfield at Wembley.

Son put Spurs ahead in the 27th minute when he was played through and took the ball around Jonas Lossl before finishing into the empty net. The second goal arrived shortly after half-time when Son expertly guided a header into the corner from Harry Kane's cross.

The Swans and Huddersfield have met on 53 occasions previously, with the Swans winning 15, drawing 14 and losing 24.

The Swans last visit to Huddersfield was for a League One match in March 2008 and ended in a 1-0 victory for the visitors, thanks to a goal from Jason Scotland. The Swans line-up that day was:

Dorus de Vries
    Angel Rangel
    Ferrie Bodde
    Kristian O'Leary
    Kevin Austin
    Alan Tate
    Leon Britton
    Thomas Butler
    Darren Pratley
    Andy Robinson
    Jason Scotland

Turning to this coming Saturday, Angel Rangel (groin), Renato Sanches (thigh), Wilfried Bony (ACL) and Leroy Fer (foot) are all out for Swansea.

Huddersfield Manager, David Wagner said after the defeat to Spurs:

“We should start to build up the excitement which we all together will have on Saturday when we meet Swansea at home at our fortress, our John Smith’s Stadium.

“This is a wonderful situation where we have two home games against teams in and around us and we have momentum.

“Now we are at home and we don’t just have 12 or 13 players behind us, we have our supporters – and I trust them not just to turn up in numbers but to be very vocal as well.

“We will try everything to get a positive result at home.”

So it is obvious that Huddersfield and their supporters will be fired up for a game that they view as a 'must win'. Carlos Carvalhal will need to ensure that his players are equally determined and resolute. If the Swans play with the skill and desire displayed against West Ham, then there is no reason why they cannot repeat that result from 10 years ago, and claim a 1-0 victory.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  2. glamexile

glamexile Well-Known Member

This will tougher test but we are equally playing with fight. If we repeat the determination of yesterday we should get at least a point. So let's be bullish and say 1-0 to the Swans

3. Rhodthesod

Rhodthesod Well-Known Member

Agree will be tougher, if we play like today we can do it. Would be nice to have a win and a little breathing distance from the bottom three, win and I think we will all be confident of staying up. We could also go into the cup game and Man U game with a great mind set.

4. Nosugarman1

Nosugarman1 Well-Known Member

I think we need to cement yesterday.s great win. We know we have the ability to do it now we must have the mind set.

5. Clucasade

Clucasade Member

We’re in the driving seat now, A win here would do us the absolute world of good. Up the Swans!!

6. DragonPhilljack

DragonPhilljack Well-Known Member

There are a potential 6 points from the next three PL games, we really need to take Huddersfield and WBA to the cleaners, to cement our place in mid-table and remove the threat of a relegation dogfight, we know it will not be plain sailing, but Carlos is fitting a turbo to the outboard motor!!!............<laugh>

Taffvalerowdy likes this.
  7. Bob the slob

Bob the slob Well-Known Member

Much will depend on the referees - another ref could have seen us pick up quite a few yellows yesterday and interrupt our momentum - not because we were dirty just because we are Swansea.

8. PGFWhite

PGFWhite Well-Known Member

He obviously doesn't think much of the travelling Huddersfield fans!

9. 55282

55282 Well-Known Member

Excellent post,as always Taff.
    What frightens me is the 2008.Where has the time gone?
    Back to this game 2-2.
    Big big game for both teams.
    Nerves for both.
    Hence my 2-2.
    Hope for a win.
    YJB
    STID

10. Taffvalerowdy

Cheers 55!

Talking of where have all the years gone, it is 40 years since Tosh joined as Player-Manager.....

In fact it was 40 years ago yesterday that we drew his first game in charge 3-3 against Watford. To quote Max, I know coz I was there <cheers> (On the North Bank !)

11. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

Carlos knows what we need to do, The players knows what they need to do that we need that cushion in place and we won't get a better chance than playing Hudders who are struggling themselves......We are in a good position with a number of players that can put the ball in the net today and that is a luxury we have not had for a number of seasons....We have much more experience in this position than them having been here before and i think we can beat them and get that cushion we need ...0 - 2 swans.

12. 55282

55282 Well-Known Member

Taff,I do not mean in any way to pull you up but,the 3-3 was that his first home in charge?
    My grey cells seem to recall a defe
    at away from home,Rochdale?,as his first game in charge.
    Interested to know.
    I think there was an interview with Tosh yesterday morning on Talksport?

13. Taffvalerowdy

You may well be right - I thought Watford was the first game, but it may have been the first home game. Or was it Tosh's first game playing?

14. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

I thought they played a 3 - 3 draw against Watford in tosh's first game.....My memory is not what it was but i do remember that the game was significant as Watford and us were promoted together that season...

55282 and Taffvalerowdy like this.
  15. Taffvalerowdy

So did I Dai - but the previous game was Rochdale so 55 may well be correct!

55282 and swanseaandproud like this.
  16. Taffvalerowdy

I know it's Wikipedia but they seem to confirm that Watford was his first game in charge..

" Having secured his release from his contract at Liverpool, Toshack looked to move into management and approached his former club Cardiff City over a coaching position but was rejected by manager Jimmy Andrews who questioned his qualifications for the role. Toshack instead received a phone call from Swansea City chairman Malcolm Struel and was invited to a meeting at the club. Following this, he was appointed player-manager of Fourth Division club Swansea on 1 March 1978,[35] becoming the youngest manager in the Football League at the age of 29.[36] Succeeding Harry Griffiths who stepped down to become his assistant,[36] Toshack's appointment was seen as a significant coup for Swansea and the crowd for his first match in charge, a 3–3 draw with Watford, more than doubled from the club's previous home match with over 15,000 in attendance.[35][37]"

Did Tosh go to Rochdale to watch us before being appointed?

swanseaandproud likes this.
  17. 55282

55282 Well-Known Member

I think that maybe correct.

18. Mono

Mono Well-Known Member

You know things have improved when you can't wait for the next match to come around........

19. 55282

55282 Well-Known Member

Ross Jenkins,a thorn in our side.

20. ValleyGraduate12

ValleyGraduate12 Aberdude's Puppet
    Forum Moderator

Play like we did Saturday and it will be another 3 points.

2-0 win and 7 points from safety.