1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

How's Lennon doing ??

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by O.Spurcat, Sep 25, 2012.

1. O.Spurcat

O.Spurcat Well-Known Member

Well he's actually doing well isn't he ??

Lennon has never been one of my favourite players but he has started ths season in fine form. For the first time in yonks, he seems to look close to full fitness and for the first time in yonks, he seems to have a lot of his old confidence back.

I sensed in the summer that a change of manager might do him good and so far that does seem to be the case. Critics of his play always point to his lack of quality in his final ball, but his lay off to Defoe in the Reading game confirms that part of his game is vastly improved.

There seems to be the old "zip" back in his game and if he continues his current good form, surely Hodgson will have him back in the England team.

2. totsfan

totsfan Well-Known Member

unlike you i've alway's liked Lennon,he has pace to burn,and this season his crossing seems to have improved.

3. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

He seems to be full steam ahead running at full backs.

However I don't find his thinking when it comes to execution to be at a level I expect of someone who is occupying one of the attacking spots in a 433 for a team with top 4 aspirations.

Seems to stutter a bit when a shot is on and can't recall the last time he actually put an orthodox cross in...I always know he is going for the byline so I am sure opposing teams have twigged on aswell.

No way does he score enough with a record of roughly 1 goal in 10 as an attacker.

Take his pace away and he becomes mid table class at best for me.

I do enjoy watching him at full throttle though in hope more than expectation of a good final decision.

4. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

I agree, although he does need to remember what it was like when he used to shoot(some of them actually went in!) but so far this season he's not looked like he has any confidence in taking on a shot. He has started the season well though and looks in good shape too, that run and flick for the opener against Reading was outstanding. I think he's benefiting from being able to push further up the pitch and move inside a bit too, if he can start taking a few shots like he used to again I'm sure he'll start getting some goals too. I've been most impressed with the maturity of his performances so far this season, usually he's a bit frantic and haphazard.

5. Moorpheus19

Moorpheus19 Well-Known Member

I've always been a fan of Lennon and am annoyed that he doesn't get as good recognition as Walcott internationally.

He's a little shot shy though this season - needs work on that.

6. notsosmartspur

notsosmartspur Well-Known Member

I'm with YV on the scoring stakes, without checking, I think he might our worst attacker for contributing goals, and I don't think he's scored more than 5 for a season...all comps! I do like him, but I think he freezes at thought of shooting, looks that way lately. At the end of the day, this modern front 6, or front 4 must have goals in them.

7. notsosmartspur

Your last sentence is a good observation Luke. He tends not to look up if he's got close attention, tending to cross blind, which is fine just to put it into good areas if you have 2 strikers and good runners from MF. When its one and not too many runners, accuracy comes into it, to have any chance of that you need to look up. If you really look at what happens, the striker has to decide whether to go centrally, near, or far post, short or long, the same thing will be going through Lennon's mind. With both having a choice of 5 its not difficult to see how often the wrong option is picked if you don't...look up. The ball in, is often slated as a bad ball because its nowhere near the striker, but it would also be a very good delivery if only someone was there. Not all of them end up in the crowd, now that is what I call poor delivery. As good a strikers as we've had, we haven't had a runner from MF that can get on the end of things for ages until Bale's emergence. On the plus side of that, Dempsey did this for Fulham and hopefully we'll see some of it.

I'd like to know if the coaches address these problems, I'd also like to know if Aaron is the type to stay on and do extra shooting practise, but seems to be the type who can't get out of there quick enough, get a cigar on, along with the Plasma! :)

8. Sidney Fiddler

Sidney Fiddler Well-Known Member

If he was playing for someone else , we would think he was the Tony Daily of this century. As others have said very little end product.
    Is he international quality , only in a poor England side. Players with speed over good technique such as Lennon and Walcott, and others with power
    such as Lampard and Barry have put England in the Dark ages. Top players need a balance , with craft over everything.

9. notsosmartspur

His case this season so far is not aided by JD as the lone striker, pointless putting a high ball into him.

10. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'm a fan of Lennon and I think that both he and Bale should benefit from having Dempsey in the side, as the American's very underrated at attacking crosses.
    Being able to hit a ball or two into the box and having somebody arrive late to meet it isn't an option that we've had in recent times.
    Once they've put a decent bit of time into the side together, I think it'll start to pay dividends.

11. lennypops

lennypops Well-Known Member

Lennon was absolutely on fire around the 09-10 season for a while but to be honest he's not hit those heights again for me. Unlike what the commentators were saying during the QPR game I thought he was disappointing. And at one point tried to square the ball when a shot looked much easier. Don't think he's dire or anything but put it this way - I'd like to see him have some competition for his spot.

As someone's already said - take away his pace and what do you have?

But whilst he has that pace I think he's just about worth his place. Not to mention the fact that the defensive side of his game is something he does not receive enough credit for IMO. He really does use that pace to get back and hold up players to cover his full back.

12. Sidney Fiddler

Sidney Fiddler Well-Known Member

I'm a big fan of Lennon too . Imagine this working class hero darting on the wing , out of blue he can cause chaos for any defence.
    Some say he is on borrowed time but for me he is a number 9 dream. It's so hard in isolation if only people gave Lennon a chance.
    Starting over on one wing and playing mind games by switching, many defenders don't wanna face it.

13. SoppyMug

SoppyMug Member

He's doing ok, but only in comparison to the past two seasons during which he has been largely disappointing. For me he has been one of the most frustrating player to watch. Close match up between him and Defoe for that title. Both seem to have a new lease of life under AVB however which is pleasing to see.