1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

How Will You Reflect On This Season?

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by BrunelGunner, Jun 4, 2023.

1. BrunelGunner

BrunelGunner Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

So, it's been exactly one week since the 2022/23 season officially ended.

League finish: 2nd
    Points accrued: 84
    Goals Scored: 88
    Goals Conceded: 43
    Games won: 26
    Games drawn: 6
    Games lost: 6

FA Cup: Lost 1-0 to Manchester City - 4th round
    League Cup: Lost 1-3 to Brighton - 3rd round
    Europa League: Lost 5-3 on penalties to Sporting CP - Last 16

Now that we've had some time to reflect, I'm interested to know how you all viewed this season. There's been a range of opinions out there on whether this was a 'successful' or 'failure' of a season.

Some people are delighted with the progress we made, others are gutted because we didn't win the league. A contingent of fans feel this past season was our best opportunity to win the league, whereas the more optimistic Arsenal supporters feel we can put in another title bid for next season.
    Others feel it is entirely dependent on our recruitment this Summer before they can have a say.

Our points accrued is the highest we've had since we last won the league in 2003/04.
    We also scored a record number of goals in the Premier League era. 87 was the previous record set by the 2003/04 team and we bettered that goal tally this season by 1 (88).
    This is the first time we'll be playing Champions League football in 6 years. The revenue, attraction and prestige that brings back to the club, having spent so long out of it, can't be understated.

When you also factor in the exquisite football we've played, some huge wins against rivals (Spurs home and away, Chelsea home and away, Liverpool at home, Newcastle away, Man United at home) and the incredible atmosphere during games, all of this is extremely positive for the club and the fans. I also think it's safe to say that no-one would have predicted us to finish 2nd at the beginning of the campaign, so we overachieved in that regard.

However, there were some negatives as well.
    We led the league for 93% of the season and didn't win it.
    We got 50 points in the first 19 games and then got 34 points in the second 19 games. Our form in the second half of the season was barely midtable standard.
    Not beating Man City in any of the 3 games we played against them was very poor, especially as we were meant to be battling with them for the Premier League.
    Post World-Cup, our defence had been extremely leaky and I don't think Arteta did enough to rectify our deficiencies.
    Our early exits from the cups did us no favours (despite claims to the contrary).
    I was also frustrated with Arteta's in-game management and reluctance to utilise the entirety of the squad.
    And, for as well as we played for the majority of the season, finishing trophyless is disappointing.

Overall, I would give the season a 7.5/10.

How do you guys feel?

2. Jayramfootball

Jayramfootball Active Member

It's been a brilliant season. 9/10 for me.

I am also disappointed we didn't win the league but I think that is for different reasons than what I generally see relating to squad depth.
    Think we just have a young team that was not ready to withstand the pressure of a run in and we got very unlucky with Saliba AND Tomiyasu incurring season ending injuries at the same time. Note, I do not think this was solely because of Saliba being missing - in fact our season suggests that our defence was degrading whilst he was still in the team.

Defensively I think our issue is that we didn't mix things up based on the opponent. Inverted full backs are all well and good when we dominate possession, not so good when we are under pressure and the full back who is asked to roam is not good at defending. We should have played Tierney more often in games where we were clearly no going to have the lions hare of the ball.

Progress since Dec 2020 has been great and I think we are well placed to challenge again.
    Don't think we need a lot of signings. Maybe only one, plus replacing leavers. I would replace Partey and then see who is leaving and replace those positions.

I also absolutely hated the January transfer window. It did nothing but destabilise a squad that was flying high.

gooner4ever likes this.
  3. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Overall it's been a very good season. But the disappointment at not winning the league stings given where we were.

Some huge positives, finishing 2nd, getting back in the champions league, beating Spurs and Chelsea home and away. Also the emergence of Saliba in the squad. But to lead for so long and look odds on to win the league and then fall short, and not win any trophy has to go down as a disappointment.

I think ultimately that came down to lack of depth in the squad, especially in defence where injuries cost us badly, and having to over rely on players like Martinelli and Saka. Towards the end of the season we were playing with a patched up team and it showed.

I'm still not sure what to do with Partey. When he's fit and on form, he makes the game look easy and he keeps that midfield ticking over smoothly. But far too often he's either been out injured or been ineffective in games. It's also looking like Xhaka might be on his way, which is a shame, because he's been brilliant this season and has become our most experienced player in that squad.

So MF could potentially look very different next season. It looks like Arteta wants to coach ESR into that No8 role and alongside somebody like Declan Rice, that could form a very effective partnership, but they are untested together and could take a while to bed in.

I also think we should try and raid City again and go in for Gundogan and Cancelo. Both would add huge amounts of experience to this squad, especially if we lose Xhaka.

As for rating the season. It's difficult, because if anybody had said we'd finish 2nd at the start of the season you'd be looking at an 8 or 9. But given how we fell short and ended up with nothing I'd have to go for 7/10

4. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Welcome back <ok>

5. BrunelGunner

BrunelGunner Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I agree with a lot of what you say, but I do think Arteta deserves a bit of blame for not readjusting to Saliba and Tomiyasu's injuries. I also think Kiwior should have come into the team earlier because his technical level and speed are MILES clear of Holding's. Yet we persisted with the latter. I think his reluctance to not take off Saka, use Trossard closer to the centre forward and lack of minutes for the likes of ESR, Nelson and Tierney wasn't great management at a time when a lot of our players seemed emotionally and physically spent. It also would have provided a different threat/method of playing for the opposition.

Whilst we have no divine right to win trophies, and looking at the way we've been dumped out of most competitions since the FA Cup win in 2020, going 3 years without silverware isn't great. Especially considering how much we've improved over the last 2 years.

I do think we need more than one signing though, as it seems like a number of first team players will be going. I'd say we need between 4-5 players to be right up there challenging on all fronts IMO. I don't want us to just make up the numbers in the Champions League, I want us to compete properly for it.

Diego likes this.
  6. ArtisanWenger

ArtisanWenger Active Member

I think it has been a great season but the reason why we had low expectations was because of how previous seasons played out and the club did its best to downplay expectations.But if you think about it,the amount of time and money and backing outside of player purchases we have given the manager and it coupled with signings like jesus and zinchenko who were starters from the reigning champions, reasonable expectations would have been 3rd behind city and pool and maybe a cup run.But we genuinely challenged for the title,points of concern are that we collapsed in a similar way to all 3 of artetas full seasons,when we havew a slip up we cant make it stop and at crucial stages have 3 of them.The manager has to improve in this regard,this is not a strictly players issue,we have had much different starting 11s in all three of his seasons.

I think arteta will keep getting backed insanely as he is kses pet project and I hope we can convert during this time and not have near misses because financially it doesnt make a big difference if the club finishes 1st or 2nd but to fans its a whole different ball game,

gooner4ever, PINKIE and BrunelGunner like this.
  7. Jayramfootball

Jayramfootball Active Member

For clarity , 1 signing PLUS replace leavers.
    I think with managers we get very caught up in retrospective thoughts about what they should have done.
    You are right in much of what you said the issues were, but the game is also about people and relationships as all endeavours are.
    A manager has to maintain the harmony at the club and sometimes that results in a decision that might look odd - i.e. Holding not being replaced sooner with Kiwior, but then again the manager at the time may have been reluctant to throw a new player in during a time of poor form and reluctant to completely kill Holdings future.

There is no doubt we could have won the league this year, but I try to stay above the noise of poor runs of form and look broadly. We came 2nd and for 85% of the season it was a joy to be back in the mix of a title race. I see great progress at the club and am extremely positive about the future.

straycat_67 likes this.
  8. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

Hats off to Arteta. We played some great football, built a tenacious squad full of likeable characters, but most importantly for me anyway The Stadium really came alive this year. (for the first time since moving into The Emirates)

Jayramfootball and straycat_67 like this.