1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

How well will Chris Rigg do this season?

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by alcoauth, Jul 16, 2023.

1. alcoauth

alcoauth Well-Known Member

I think he made just two sub appearances last season (incredible for a 15 year old), but has looked great so far in pre-season. Mogga said he could push for a starting place, what are people's expectations for him this season? Could he really play a lot of games this season or are we expecting him to come in for the odd appearance here and there?

Personally I don't think he'll reach a dozen appearances, but that's not to say as a 16 year old he won't have a great season and have a great future here.

Robertson, DH4, RTB and 2 others like this.
  2. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Think he will get a lot of cameos off the bench and we see from there.

He is clearly heavily involved with the first team unit so excited to see where he goes.

Looks a really exceptional talent, to be 16 years old and matching the physicality, talking well to the media.

Hopefully he becomes what he appears to be.

Robertson, DH4, Dorset and 3 others like this.
  3. Oliver's Army

Oliver's Army Well-Known Member

I reckon he will get about a dozen starts, plus more time from the bench. Certainly all the cup games we are involved in.

Looks to have filled out loads during pre season, really looking forward to seeing him.

9 subs is class for us.

Jarca, Dorset, Scout73 and 3 others like this.
  4. Southern A

Southern A Well-Known Member

I reckon he will play 20+ games, almost all off the bench

5. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Yeah I reckon this.

Robertson likes this.
  6. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

I'm prepared to suck it and see, important there's no added pressure on the lad, sure he's capable of doing that for himself.

7. FellTop

FellTop Well-Known Member

Of all the players we have at the club I am most excited by Rigg. Listening to Mowbray last night he sounds pretty excited too. I wouldnt be surprised to see him as a regular starter by Christmas to be honest. What is the old saying, no point keeping a Rolls Royce in the garage...

I have seen some cracking players come out of our youth system over the years. Rigg looks to have more than anybody else to me. He might well be too good to leave on the bench.

8. samwise_new

samwise_new Well-Known Member

certainly does not lack confidence, he is obviously going to be a bit raw but to be honest he does not look as if he needs much 'refining'...good runs, knows where the goal is, linking play up and the team is not afraid to give him the ball, a lot will depend on injuries around the team but would not be bothered if he starts a few.

Robertson and DH4 like this.
  9. Southern A

My only fear about getting him too “out there” too soon is he hasn’t signed his pro deal yet :D need to find the right balance between keeping him happy and knowing this is the right place but at the same time not alerting Bayern Munich and Man City to how good he is :D

Milton Nunez's Thong and DH4 like this.
  10. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Jude and Ruben Neves both regulars similar age to Rigg, there’s recent precedent for top players staring super young.

11. Southern A

his goal yesterday was the first time I’ve gone “ah yeh ok he’s a player”. Not just the run but the ease in which he made the finish look.

12. alcoauth

alcoauth Well-Known Member

I'd bet that the club already have that tied up and he'll sign officially on his 17th birthday when he's eligible.

13. Southern A

hope so, that would be great

Robertson likes this.
  14. DH4

DH4 Well-Known Member

This lad can go as far as he wants. He really is that good. He has stepped up seamlessly from junior football to mens football and doesn't seem phased at all. If he keeps his feet on the ground and doesn't let the fame and fortune get in the way he is going to be the best footballer the North East has produced since Gazza, never mind Henderson and Pickford. :emoticon-0103-cool:

15. rowley

rowley Well-Known Member

He'll obviously play a fair bit.

But young players need looking after and I imagine he'll get that here. They can play too much too early, but they are still growing and too much now has an impact down the line. When they are good enough, they need protecting from themselves at times IMO.

The same applies to Jobe Bellingham really, as big as he is, at his age, he'll still be growing.

16. FellTop

FellTop Well-Known Member

If he is good enough let him play I say. I have never met a footballer who doesnt want to play. Training all week, for no game, is not what top players do. I reckon if he is playing regularly he signs here irrespective of City or anyone else. Lad looks excellent to me and talent / technique will trump physicality any day.

Robertson, Scout73 and Southern A like this.
  17. Bazza2310

Bazza2310 Well-Known Member

I don't think the age thing matters if you're good enough then you'll play. The only way to find out is to throw them in if they handle it then great if not give them more time. If mowbray is saying he's going to be pushing for a start he clearly thinks he's good enough. I think he will make a lot of bench appearances but will start a few too especially cup games.

Robertson likes this.
  18. DH4

DH4 Well-Known Member

It's a fine line definitely but I think Mowbray is exactly the right manager to explain this to him as the kid will be champing at the bit. I think he is mature enough to understand as well.

19. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Like I mentioned before, there’s a mad list of players that have started playing 16-17 now.

Top players too.

Obviously not a comparison list, but has regulate football at 16-17 harmed Neves (captained Porto in champions league at 17), Jude (captained Dortmund at 19), Mbappe, Foden…

Way beyond that there’s a bunch of growing world stats from Ligue 1, Tchoumanei & Camavinga played a bunch of games now both at Madrid.

Age doesn’t matter if well handled

20. Southern A

also it’s important how mature they are. That interview he gave last night impressed me even more than his goal. He just seems like he’s ready as a person for it. He already talks like a pro

Nads, DH4, Robertson and 2 others like this.