1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

How much would YOU sell Defoe for?

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by David Moyes' Stupid Face, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

HA HA COMEDIAN, THE BEST ENGLISH STRIKER IN THE PL. who did you lobotomy.

2. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

3. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

4. Deleted #

Deleted # Well-Known Member

He's just turned 34 and will still be 34 when the next season comes around, you cock muncher.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    Billy Death likes this.
  5. Deleted #

6. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Just read on BBC that we paid 14 mil for Defoe, I thought it was more of a straight swap for the legendary Altidore with a few quid thrown in.

7. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

What makes me wonder is why the BBC are running an article about whether we can afford to lose Defoe when the club have said he's not for sale. Seems to me they're deliberately trying to stir things up. Surely they shouldn't be allowed to generate speculation about him like that.

8. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

It's such a non story too. Is Defoe important to Sunderland? Obviously. Is he for sale? No. There's nothing more to say about it but they're certainly trying.

9. Deleted #

They are cock munchers. They also said we paid 10m for Turner, from Hull. Turns out it was more like 4m.

10. hettonist

hettonist Active Member

Aye was it not the official media partner of the mags who came up with £14m based on Altidore being worth loads and all wages and bonuses front loaded? Basically a load of **** and we got him for nowt albeit paying him decent money as you'd expect

Deleted likes this.

11. Deleted #

Yeah, pretty sure that's right.

It was a straight swap. Altidore was on 40k a week <doh> I've got a feeling Defoe is on 60k a week. So it wasn't a great deal extra we were paying out.

12. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Do you know roughly what the deal actually was? I thought it was a like for like swap with little money involved, which is like swapping Messi for James McClean but I'm not complaining.

Not to worry seen your post above.

13. David Moyes' Stupid Face

David Moyes' Stupid Face Well-Known Member

14. Deleted #

30 million and he'll be gone, mate.

I don't think it'll be true, though. Not sure he'd want to go abroad again, by his own admittance, he didn't enjoy the standard at Toronto. Not like he needs the money either, he gets paid well by us (yes I know he'll get more in China) and he has his own company now, which seems to be getting bigger.

15. mackemwelder

mackemwelder Well-Known Member

Just read this on BBC, i thought we did a straight swap with Defoe and Couldn'thitabarndoor?

Jermain Defoe: Can Sunderland afford to lose him to West Ham (or anywhere else)?

• 8 hours ago
    • From the sectionFootball
    Sharethis page
    please log in to view this image

Defoe is the seventh highest scorer in Premier League history, having netted 154 goals since making his debut in 1999
    "We have never asked for a bid, we have never put a price on him. He's really important to us. He is not for sale."

Sunderland manager David Moyes has made his thoughts perfectly clear on the future of star striker Jermain Defoe in the face of serious interest from West Ham. He is going nowhere.

And here is why the relegation-threatened Black Cats are desperate to hang on to the 34-year-old former England international...

He's scored 58% of their league goals this season
    It would be unfair to describe any side as a 'one-man team', but it is clear Sunderland are heavily reliant on their top scorer - more than any other Premier League side.

Defoe has scored 11 top-flight goals this season - more than half of his team's total of 19.

No other player in the division comes close to having the same influence in front of goal.

His goals have won Sunderland an extra six points
    What do Defoe's goals mean in terms of cold, hard points for his team? Are many of his strikes meaningless, consolation goals in heavy defeats?

Well, few are worthless.

Sunderland are 18th in the Premier League, inside the relegation zone but only one point behind fourth-bottom Crystal Palace.

upload_2017-1-10_7-15-6.gif
    Without Defoe's goals, Sunderland would be six points worse off - leaving them marooned at the bottom, seven points from safety.

Match-winning goals against Bournemouth and Leicester turned draws into victories, while both goals in last week's 2-2 draw against Liverpool and a late equaliser at Southampton earned potentially precious draws.

upload_2017-1-10_7-15-6.gif
    However, he is not as influential as some other Premier League strikers...

He has scored 40% of Sunderland's goals since joining
    "His exceptional goal-scoring record speaks for itself."

Then Sunderland manager Gus Poyet knew exactly what the Wearside club were getting when they paid a reported £14m to sign Defoe from Major League Soccer side Toronto FC.

And so it has proved.

Defoe has netted 30 Premier League goals since the transfer in January 2015 - representing 40% of Sunderland's total tally since his arrival.

That's 23 more than left-back Patrick van Aanholt, who is the club's second-highest scorer in the same period.

Why West Ham wanted Defoe back
    West Ham have struggled for consistency in front of goal this season, scoring just 23 times in their 20 Premier League matches - four of which were netted against Swansea on 26 December.

Regular injuries to Andy Carroll, Diafra Sakho and Andre Ayew have not helped matters, nor has on-loan Juventus forward Simone Zaza's inability to find his feet - or the net - in England.

So no wonder manager Slaven Bilic is keen to bring Defoe, who scored 41 goals in 105 games for the Hammers between 1999 and 2004, back to the club.

Defoe's 30 top-flight goals since joining Sunderland is only one short of the combined tally of the SEVEN forwards who have scored for West Ham in the same period.

Is a 34-year-old worth a £6m transfer fee?
    Few players command a hefty transfer fee in their mid-thirties - but West Ham were clearly thinking more about their short-term strategy than long-term financial value when they offered £6m for Defoe.

For Sunderland, the maths was quite simple.

Sell the man whose goals surely represent their best chance of staying in the Premier League for £6m, then face a near £100m drop in revenue if they were to be relegated.

SAM - the Sport Analytics Machine used by University of Salford academics to predict football results - calculates keeping Defoe is worth £41.3m to the Black Cats.

It also works out selling Defoe would increase Sunderland's likelihood of relegation from 58.7% to 65%.

So is £6m worth it? The answer for Sunderland, so far at least, has been a resounding "no".

16. flandersmackem

flandersmackem Well-Known Member

The one thing I have learned living here in the MIddle East...is that people who have money...want more....If he is offered astronomical money from the Chinese, he will go, not doubt in my mind.

17. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

I've got £80k a week in my mind, was he not one of the ones leaked on wikileaks? Maybe I'm thinking of somebody else.

18. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Believe his overall wage with all bonuses being taken into account is £80k - basic £60k + goal and appearance fees etc. iirc

19. mackemwelder

mackemwelder Well-Known Member

He's worth that imo.

Jack TheLad likes this.
  20. Burly Hurley

Burly Hurley Well-Known Member

Its a sad state of affairs to think that anyone deserves that much money a week, least of all footballers.