1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

How much work does this current squad need to go back to top 4 and possibly beyond?

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by KingPepeReina., Jun 2, 2011.

1. KingPepeReina.

KingPepeReina. Active Member

As you can see from my article heading,I'm not settling for a top four finish next season,because Liverpool as a club doesn't aim for second best,it never has and never will.Its a club thats main ambition is to collect silverware,always has and always will.
    There has been 3 years of turbulance and disruption and upset for most part.Last season was one of two halves,and as loyal as I am,I started to get a bit disenchanted and started to not care.I however was possibly not the only one.#
    When Kenny succeeded Roy Hodgson the mood seemed to change,It possibly happened when FSG bought the club and outlined their ambitions.However the results didn't and the buzz started moreso when Kenny took the reigns.
    There was a sense of excitement that I hadn't personally witnessed in quite a while.This summer for me is full of optimism.It may also seem that Rafa's philosophy of revamping the youth and reserve set-up is now going to bear fruit.Kenny is the one that is going to benefit from this.
    I remember Rafa saying a few years back that if five players came through the ranks and made a break-through,his aims would have been successful.I believe that he's surpassed that as five players have made the break-through.And there is possibly at least another three players that could and this could follow suit.
    So my question is how many players will it take to complete the puzzle that is the Liverpool squad to get to the next level and possibly beyond and get us back to our 2009 level and again possibly beyond our 2009 level.
    I'm going to list who I think will make the back-bone of the Liverpool squad for the forseeable future.
    Keepers.
    Pepe Reina
    Peter Gulasci.
    Right back.
    Glen Johnson.
    Martin Kelly.
    John Flanagan.(Under 21)
    Centre back.
    Jamie Carragher.
    Daniel Agger.
    Martin Skrtel.
    Danny Wilson.(Under 21)
    Andre Wisdom.(Under 21)
    Left back.
    Jack Robinson(under 21)
    New signing.*
    Right midfield.
    New signing.
    Central midfield.
    Steven Gerrard.
    Raul Mereiles.
    Lucas.
    Jay Spearing.
    Jonjo Shelvey.(Under 21)
    Maxi.
    Left midfield.
    New signing.*
    Forward.
    Dirk Kuyt.
    Luis Suarez.
    Andy Carroll.
    New signing.
    Now I've listed 20 players that should be kept and should form the foundations of the squad.I have left out possible youngsters,and players that I think will be moved on for reasons that I haven't the time to mention.Thats without Aquilani who is our player and thats if he comes back.
    In a nutshell I don't think things are as bad as they seem,and I also think there will be more departures than arrivals.John Aldridge on LFCTV said that he expects a minimum of 10 players will depart.Some are out on loan and may not want to come back or may not be wanted to come back.
    The next question is have some of the players gone out on loan ie David Amoo,Tom Ince and Dani Pacheco and Nathan Eccleston got a future or should they also be added into the mix.All 3 are still under 21,and the rules state that a club can use as many under 21s as it wishes.
    Feel free to discuss.

2. Depay Sound

Depay Sound Well-Known Member

I think that with a new keeper, 4 new defenders, 4 new midfielders and 2 new strikers you could have a chance of reaching the top 4.

3. KingPepeReina.

Seeing as you lot have made your first big signing of the summer,Michael Owen on a new one year deal.The Man United physios are delighted,they were disappointed when Owen Glassknees was released.They were attempting to find a cure for arthritis.
    Due to your £109 million loss and £45 million interest repayments.How many players are you going to sign out of that ''make believe'' £135 million that is in the bank.Or is Fergus going to be raiding the Portugese soup kitchens again this summer.I can't wait until the ''Green and Vomit'' protest kicks off.Norwich City are looking forward to it too,as they will make a fortune on Green and Vomit scarves.

4. King_Kenny

King_Kenny Member

In the middle of the park, wingers are an absolute must for me, especially now that we have a big target man up front. We haven't had a proper winger since Steve McManaman (how long ago is that!). Kuyt has been a great worker on the right but we need someone who can cross the ball and is lightning fast, not only on the right but on the left as well.

At the back, a left back is an obvious problem position for us but there seem to be some good young full backs in terms of Robinson and Flanagan so they will be first choice back-up for whenever someone gets injured. A centre-back would not be unwelcome either with Soto not really up to the level imo and Carra not getting any younger but again we seem to have a few youngsters in this position showing promise, especially Kelly, be it at right back but we all know he is a centre-back.

In Football Manager land, I'd love us to sign a left-back, centre-back, 2 wingers and a holding midfielder but I'd say back in the land of reality we'll get maybe 3 players and they'll be 2 wingers and a left-back

5. Depay Sound

£109m loss? what the **** are you talking about KPR?

6. Bozz

Bozz Well-Known Member

7. newcastleftw

newcastleftw New Member

I agree mate.

8. KingPepeReina.

Newcastle however need 25 players and a manager.

9. Corbo

Corbo Member

Liverpool needs Fergie!!

Doubt that will ever happen though.

10. KingPepeReina.

We don't need Fergie,we've got the man that Fergie is most afraid of.Fergie knows not to mess with Kenny.He knows what happened the last time,he did.It took him 7 years to cross Kenny.1988-1995.If he tries anything untoward,He'll be hit with a similar put-down he was hit with in 1988 when Kenny launched his now famous ''Talk to this child,you'll get more sense out of her than you will out of him'' put-down.There will be no long-winded attacks ie Rafa.Just short and extremely painful put-downs.

11. newcastleftw

newcastleftw New Member

Coming from the team who is trying to sign all our players.

12. Ze

Ze Well-Known Member

Why would we want any of your players? They're all ****e. Not even Enrique is good enough.

13. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Center back and 2 wingers, that is all.

14. Depay Sound

You don't half talk **** KPR. You actually believe that if you keep coming out with this crap it might come true? Bless.

15. KingPepeReina.

Check it out Jimbo it did actually happen.It was after a 3-3 draw at Anfield in the 1987-1988 season,and United eventually finished 9 points behind champions Liverpool,when Ferguson said and I quote ''It makes people vomit how referees are intimidated at Anfield''.Kenny was listening in the corridor holding his 6 month old daughter Lauren.Now Kenny and Baconface were in the middle of a dispute that began in 1986 when Ferguson then caretaker Scotland manager dropped Alan Hansen from the Scotland squad.Kenny ommitted himself in protest citing an injury.However this didn't go down well with Fergie which resulted in the arguement.Kenny was asked by a reporter for a response and said ''talk to this child,you will get more sense out of her than you will out of him''.Fergie never attempted to pick a fight with Kenny until 1995 after that short and blistering put-down.

16. Page_Moss_Kopite

Page_Moss_Kopite Well-Known Member

SAF only made "the perch" remark to keep his job due to the revolt among the utd fans to get rid of him.

the unsavoury parts of his reign at OT are swept under the carpet and denied.

17. KingPepeReina.

Page Moss,so are his league finishes from 1987-1991.
    11th
    2nd.
    13th
    11th.
    6th.

18. Page_Moss_Kopite

Stevie(Pepe),Fergies dislike of us goes back to his Aberdeen days,when he took over Scotland after we battered them in europe he was petty enough to drop the best and most cultured defender in europe from scotlands world cup squad as a result of that because jocky had took the piss out of the dons in an interview,and thats why kenny and souness fell out with him at that time.

19. KingPepeReina.

Page Moss.
    I heard a story that Ferguson when Aberdeen boss at the time,boasted about what his team were going to do to Liverpool at Anfield,However they got a hiding from an inspired performance from then PFA player of the year Terry McDermott.5-0 on aggregate was the final result.Now Bob Paisley was known to give the opposition managers what was known as ''a bit of toffee'',He would praise the opposing manager and then send his team to beat the living **** out of the opposition.Ferguson should have listened to Tommy Docherty who once said ''There is only two things you get at Anfield...a cup of tea and a beating''.

20. Page_Moss_Kopite