1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

How might we line up next season?

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Roo, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

There's been a lot of talk over various threads recently about the good and bad performances of certain players, the fact that we're missing a striker, we shouldn't have let Townsend go out on loan, whether Rose is good enough, Benny possibly leaving.... - This list goes on.

Let's also take into consideration our recent history of transfers and the disappointment we've all had to go through in missing out on a striker or 2, as well as not strengthening/getting sufficient cover for other positions.

Therefore, who do you think are possible (as well as likely) signings this summer? And what would your Match day squad be?
    How many players will we bring in? Who will be departing?

Please keep this realistic guys, and think like the club. Not who you want in a dream team!

I envisage the sale/departures of:
    Huddlestone or Livermore - Don't think AVB is particularly keen on either and would rather replace. £5m?
    Gomes - Spurs career over a long time ago. £500,000?
    Dempsey - DL may be keen to get rid whilst he can get some money back on him, after a poor season. £4-5m?
    BAE - getting older & been a good player. - DL could look at this as the time to sell. If reports are true, he's not AVB favourite. - £8-10m?
    Gallas - Likely to retire?
    Bostock - same as Gomes - £100,000?
    Bentley - Same as Gomes - doesn't his contract expire?
    Adebayor. - Not been good enough and need better strikers - £5m?

We may not see all of these leave during the summer, but for those who do remain at the club beyond this point, I can't see them being here after Christmas. There may be others, but I've lost track of some of the "dead wood" to be honest. Do we even have Khumalo anymore?!
    Anyway, I make that approximately £20-25m in sales.

I guess a lot of it will come down to whether Bale leaves. With the club's recent history of not making a net spend, I can't see that £20-25m going very far in today's market. + the fact that we've actually got to sell them all, which could take all summer knowing Levy!!!

Therefore I see Bale being sold for £50m approx, in order for us to bring in the players we need.

I see us capitalising on young players once again, as well as taking advantage of clubs who go down, or perhaps don't have the "umph" to keep their better players.

Leandro Damiao has long been a target (supposedly), but failure to qualify for the CL would write that one off, IMO. Also, the lack of CL revenue will likely mean that we'll be going down the bargain-ish route again.

There's no doubt that if Bale leaves, he's going to be extremely hard, if not impossible to replace. However, despite the club being very shrewd with money, I don't think we're stupid enough to not get a quality replacement in for him by using a fair chunk of that money. That player might not be a like for like player, but it will be someone of raw up and coming talent, IMO. - Last season we were happy to spend £15m on Dembele after the sale of Modric, so I think we'll see at least this figure spend on a Bale "replacement", if not a fair bit more.

Taking all of this into consideration, I see 3 likely signings this summer.

Remy - apparently we had a strong interest prior to his move to QPR. Will come pretty cheap for a striker. - £10m?
    Benteke - Affordable, young, and exactly what we are missing. - won't cost too much - £12-15m?
    Eriksen - We're in need of more creativity and the Bale money could well be used to fund this one. We're very keen supposedly. £20m?
    Total: £45m

As I mentioned, i also feel that we'll be after some youngsters, a bit like our deals for Fryers and Holtby.

Luke Shaw is a name that's being mentioned at the moment, so it wouldn't surprised me if we saw his arrival.

The other option, as I mentioned yesterday, is a deal with Real Madrid over Bale, but one which includes a player or two that we may be interested in.
    We will not spend £25m or so on a top striker, it just won't happen. However, this could be an opportunity to get someone of genuine class, that otherwise we may not have stood a chance with. - Gonzalo Higuain. Sounds daft, eh?
    Well, RM are supposedly desperate for Bale and Higuain appears to be second choice to Benzema. - If they want Bale that badly... you never know what deal Levy might be able to conjure up!

Although I think a top 4-6 challenge will be a lot to ask of Andros Townsend right now, he deserves a chance. Tom Carroll has made a big impact in the few times we've seen him this season. Townsend has played exceptionally well for QPR, so perhaps he needs to be given a chance as our LW solution? - i think that's the way the club will look at it too.

My biggest fear this summer, is that we won't learn have learned our lesson over squad depth. We've been very short in a few positions and really need to address this. Too many times this season, we've been without a player like Lennon and our game plan has been shot to pieces. I'd like to see us use all of the money that we make from sales this year, to help the squad depth, even if once again, we don't make a bloody net spend. It's a huge factor in standing a chance at CL qualification, IMO.

My starting Line up for next season (presuming we lose Bale), and including those I feel we may sign:

Lloris
    Walker Verts Kaboul Shaw
    Dembele Sandro
    Lennon Eriksen Townsend
    Benteke

Subs: Friedel, Holtby, Remy, Dawson, Parker, Defoe, Sig, Carroll, Caulker etc etc. (obviously the subs will change very frequently.)

Based on what we've witnessed over recent seasons, who do you genuinely think we'll bring in? Who will we see depart? And how do you think we'll set ourselves up?

2. Sidney Fiddler

Sidney Fiddler Well-Known Member

This is what I think as Levy takes years to get rid of deadwood.

Lioris
    Walker Verts Kaboul Naughton
    Dembele Sandro
    Lennon, Hudd, Dempsey/sig
    Ade/Remy Benteke

watching that lot will be like a wet weekend in Margate.
    Bale will be sold at the last minute so Levy will have an excuse not to spend big.

3. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

Who knows? Personally, I think Bale will stay unless a ridiculous bid comes in. Remy reportedly has an £8mil release clause if ( when) QPR are relegated. For that money, worth a look, IMO.

The only thing that is certain is that come the last day of the window we will have ALMOST signed somebody!...

4. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

If Bale goes, it won't be last minute. As much as Levy's antics in the window piss me off, he's not stupid. He'll give himself at least a couple of weeks to get the replacements in!
    only problem? we've played about 3 prem games already with a weakened team! <laugh>

5. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

I can't believe you forgot about Khumalo <laugh>

Interestingly we've been linked with Oczipka from Frankfurt this morning, he's an exciting left back that we may be in for if Benny is going. I've always been impressed with him watching the highlights this season but never really thought we'd be in for a first choice left back for next season. Anyway he'd be a more ready made replacement for Benny and wouldn't cost as much as Coentrao or Shaw.

I think it's too early for all this transfer talk though, isn't the run in exciting enough for you? :D As for the CL, I don't think qualification will drastically change our transfer plans but it might lead to us going for maybe one big signing on top of other signings that we'd be able to make anyway.

6. junction8spurs

junction8spurs Active Member

I can't see Bale leaving this summer, from the stories coming out of Spurs he's happy, settled and loves being there. Add in the fact that he's got a young family and I can't see him leaving. Next summer will be different though!

Re Remy from QPR, good quality player but seems to have more than his fair share of injuries.

Ins I would like to see a good left back, poss even Danny Rose, mountiniho, benteke & Remy.

Outs, I'd expect Gomes & bentley as certainties , with BAE, Gallas, livermore & poss ade & Dempsey.

I'd line up with
    Lloris
    Walker, Kaboul, verts, Rose
    Sandro, Mountiniho
    Lennon, dembele, Bale
    Remy/Bentdke

Which leaves
    Brad, naughton, smith, caulker,Dawson
    Carroll, Townsend, Parker, Thudd, siggy, holtby
    Defoe,Remy/benteke on the bench

Plus there are a good crop of younger players coming through and at least 2 of them have the potential to step up to the 1st team squad.

One thing that is pretty certain, we'll end up with no new strikers but another midfielder and go close to signing a big player on the last day of the window as usual!!

7. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

It's never too early for transfer talk, YV. Tottenham could have a TV soap opera about it. Most of the conversations on here arise due to transfer activity, or lack of! <laugh>

I tend to agree with you over transfer plans, except I'm starting to think it'll be the end of Bale in a Spurs shirt if we don't qualify.

8. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

Or even, how we might line up THIS season.

This is your tranfer thread in disguise Roo:emoticon-0116-evilg

Have you always liked musical chairs?

9. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

no... <whistle> <laugh>

I was just interested to find out who people realistically think could end up in a spurs shirt, rather than all these big names that we get excited about all summer which never happen, and how we'd line up with those individuals <ok>
    If you like Spurf, you could say I was setting an example and trying to keep everyone's feet on the ground. Doing my bit to help others an'all that! <laugh>

As for "The Transfer Thread" well... it'll just be paper and twitter gossip to wind you all up. I can't wait for that one!
    SOS has been saying he can't take another summer like the last one... but he's just being over dramatic. He'll be all over it!!!! Right mate?! <laugh>

10. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

We've got time to kill I suppose, it feels weird having over a week to talk before our next game without it being an international break and praying Bale doesn't get crocked playing for Wales. I'll spend it hoping Everton beat Arsenal by 1 goal, scoring less than 4, or that they draw.

As for Bale, I'm with J8, I think CL qualificiation would have more to do with him signing a new contract or not.

11. Spurm

Spurm Well-Known Member

I think listing a team is a bit silly as we need to rotate better.

I would like a squad like this:

Goalkeeper
    Lloris
    NEW
    Youngster

RB
    Walker/Smith (Kaboom cover)

LB
    Benny/Rose (Verts cover)

CB
    Verts/Kaboom/Dawson/Caulker (Hudd emergency cover)

(Deeper lying) CM
    Parker/Sandro/Dembele/Hudd

RW
    Lennon/Townsend (Sig/Holtby cover)

LW
    Bale/Townsend (Sig/Holtby cover)

No10
    Holtby/Sig/Bale

Striker
    Remy
    Benteke
    Defoe
    Kane

Thats a squad of 24 and i don't think its too ambitious to achieve.
    I wouldn't be averse to Erikson either, but i think he'll go elsewhere.

So, outs:
    Ade, Brad, Dempsey, deadwood

Ins:
    Benteke, Remy, goalkeeper

12. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

I also agree with J8. I've highlighted the same reasons in the past. However, if an offer comes in, I think levy will seriously consider it. Specualtion is one thing, but an official offer could really make him think.
    Then we have to consider what Bale's advisers might be saying to him.
    I don't think Bale himself would go out of his way to leave push a transfer through. its whether a combination of the 2 other parties I've mentioned, mean that end up leaving us.

Blimey Spurm, you're easy to please! - but what about if we do lose Bale? it's a game changer. how does that affect who you'd like us to sign?

13. Spurm

Spurm Well-Known Member

Roo - i've been waiting so long for NEW STRIKER i think i might die of happiness if we actually got him/them, so yes, easy to please :)

Bringing in 4, 5, 6 first teamers at a go never really works, regardless of how good they are. If we lost Bale and did that i think we'd be in for a poor season. I think we are better off bringing in 2-3 per season/window (not sure if jan really works tbh but we all hope for transfers then too) regardless of Bale.
    If Bale left i think we are covered for No10/striker with what we have plus Remy & Benteke that i already specified, but we'd be short on options out wide with only Townsend/Lennon with natural width. My knowledge of top quality wide men is pretty poor, but i'd expect to bring in 1 to replace Bale, hopefully in the 15-20m bracket.

14. Sidney Fiddler

Sidney Fiddler Well-Known Member

The thing is Roo , I think he is stupid as come the team. Nobody in the Prem forgets 9 to 12 points each season , Striker problem year on, vanity saving transfers
    that cost us every year.
    What he is brilliant at , is looking after Enic's interests.

15. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Going through the first team squad...

Lloris - Stay
    Gomes - Sold
    Friedel - Retired

Kaboul - Stay
    Vertonghen - Stay
    Walker - Stay
    Dawson - Stay
    Caulker - Stay
    Gallas - Sold/Retired
    Benny - 50/50
    Naughton - 50/50

Bale - Stay*
    Lennon - Stay
    Sandro - Stay
    Dembele - Stay
    Parker - Stay
    Siggy - Stay
    Holtby - Stay
    Carroll - Stay/Loaned
    Dempsey - Sold/Cash + player deal
    Livermore - Loaned
    Huddlestone - Sold
    Bentley - Sold/Out of contract

Defoe - Stay
    Adebayor - Sold/cash + player deal

As for those out on loan...
    Townsend - Stay
    Kane - Stay/Loaned
    Smith - Stay/Loaned
    Falque - 50/50
    Mason - 50/50
    Rose - 50/50
    Bostock - Sold
    Khumalo - Sold/Released
    Dawkins - Sold
    Obika - 50/50
    Luongo - Stay/Loaned
    Byrne - 50/50
    Pritchard - Stay/Loaned
    Coulibaly - Stay
    Miles - Stay
    Parrett - 50/50
    Stewart - 50/50

16. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Ajax have been pushing a high value for Eriksen this summer, as it seems highly likely that he'll leave, but his contract will only have one season left to run.
    He won't cost anyone £20m.

17. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

Blimey, you warming to him

18. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

he's come out this week and said him staying is 50/50. - which basically means he's leaving. You don't come out with a comment like that if you're genuinely staying at a club!
    You're right, he may well be cheaper. Well, by Levynomics anyway! <laugh>

Sidney, I agree with you over this policy as it costs us points at the start of every season. But after how poor our strikers have been, Levy will be aware of how the fans feel about that entire situation. everyone in the country calls us a 1 man team, so if bale is sold, even i trust that he won't leave us up **** creek. He'd nail his own coffin, despite all the great stuff he's done.

19. Using HBIC's list as a guide, here's my choice:

Lloris - Stay
    Gomes - Sold
    Friedel - Retired

Kaboul - Stay
    Vertonghen - Stay
    Walker - Stay
    Dawson - Stay
    Caulker - Stay
    Gallas - Sold/Retired
    Benny - Stay
    Naughton - Sold

Bale - 50/50
    Lennon - Stay
    Sandro - Stay
    Dembele - Stay
    Parker - Stay
    Siggy - Stay
    Holtby - Stay
    Carroll - Stay/Loaned
    Dempsey - Sold/Cash + player deal
    Livermore - Loaned/Sold
    Huddlestone - 50/50 - 2 weeks ago would have been Sold
    Bentley - Sold/Out of contract

Defoe - 50/50
    Adebayor - 50/50

As for those out on loan...
    Townsend - Stay
    Kane - Stay/Loaned
    Smith - Stay
    Falque - 50/50
    Mason - 50/50
    Rose - Sold
    Bostock - Sold
    Khumalo - Sold/Released
    Dawkins - Sold

(don't know enough about the other younger/loanees to comment)

So I reckon we need (at least) one new (young) keeper, another LB (Shaw?), a top creative CM, a possible replacement if Bale goes and a couple of new strikers to supplement, rather than replace.

20. The Huddlefro

The Huddlefro Well-Known Member

I think we may move for Eriksen or Isco regardless of whether Bale goes or not, especially as Holtby seems to be edging towards being played deeper. If we had a '3' in a 4-2-3-1 of Lennon-Eriksen-Bale I could see that being very effective, one of them might give us that passing ability and vision that we've been lacking since Modric was sold. I'm not sure we'd get Eriksen though, both him and Isco seem quite highly sought after.

If Bale goes we need to spend well to get serious quality in to replace him. That doesn't necessarily mean spend big but it probably will, lets face it. Levy need to show some ambition either by not selling or reinvesting in a serious manner if we do sell.

This is all assuming we get CL of course. If we don't I don't know what we'll do. Especially because that means we're almost certain to lose Bale/be unable to sign quality.