1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

How many?

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Puck, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Puck

Puck Well-Known Member

With Lovren already signed, Wanyama looking a real possibility to join him, rumours bubbling along about various others including Banega, Stoch, Bueno (and of course Carlos Fierro) and a few members suggesting other areas we might want to strengthen (I've seen people suggest we sign backup at RB and possibly LB, perhaps another striker, maybe one more CB) I have to ask what the perfect number of signings would be? I'd be amazed if we got anywhere near QPR's levels of silliness but how many signings would be too many?

2. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

46 would be too many, in my opinion.

3. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

I'd expect that we'll sign a CM, a winger, a free/cheap fullback, and probably a forward with a little versatility. That should probably be that; I don't see much need for a new player at every position.

4. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

Don't need a rb and only need a lb if we sell Fox(much as I don't rate him). If Wanyama does sign I would say a winger maybe two and a striker.

5. Joe!

Joe! Well-Known Member

Agreed; I don't think we don't need a RB at all, though Poch knows far better than us as to the ability of Chambers and Stephens. A winger is a must, and an extra goalscorer for those dry spells would help a lot.

6. rabbitspectrum

Clyne and Shaw are our only 2 proven fullbacks, it would be very foolish to start a campaign without atleast signing a good rightback. Gamez would be my pick. If we don't have a good season we will likely lose anyone who has an outstanding season. Sign wanayama, a rightback and the best winger we can find and we should have a season good enough to keep our best players interested.

7. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

Chambers is a rb and Yoshida can play there if pushed.

8. James G

James G Well-Known Member

Really with Yoshida and Cork able to play comfortably at RB and with Chambers coming in I'm not sure we need a RB. LB more important as we are clearly far from the same in defence when Fox is there. Signing Wanyama would free Cork to play RB if we were really in need, but unless they have confidence in Targett (i am yet to see him play so I really don't know) we need cover for young Luke.

I see Wanyama, Stoch and two more.

9. rabbitspectrum

Both are unproven and from the times Yoshida played as a right back he isn't good enough. If we don't sign a rightback we will risk dropping a lot of points. We struggled to win any matches when a 17 year old left back wasn't playing which would suggest that it is critically important we get someone in to either allow clyne to cover at left back or even better bring in another premier league standard left back.

10. James G

Shaw was unproven until last season. If they think Chambers is good enough to play (and Cork is certainly fine as a right back cover) then they won't sign a new one. I would agree we are in need of a left back but again, they may feel this is the year for Targett to step up. Many rate him as a fine prospect and I'd hate to see his progress blocked by us needlessly signing another left sided fullback. As I said before, unless they have confidence in young Matthew I think the left side is more crucial.

11. rabbitspectrum

Shaw is an incredible talent. You can't expect chambers or targett to come into a team chasing european football and hold the defence together. I don't like cork at fullback, we need fullbacks not makeshifts or youth players with not enough experience playing against men. next season we need to get as many points as possible to prove to our current players that southampton is the best club for their future. If we don't show signs that we are pushing for eurpoean football our best players will leave.

12. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

yes he is; what's to say Targett isn't too?

13. rabbitspectrum

I've never seen him play but even if the coaches reckon he is where Shaw was last year he still hasn't even kicked a ball for the first team, which would warrant significant caution. I seriously can't understand people not wanting to sign another full back, we'll be a stepping stone for wanayama or banega if we don't perform this season and as it stand we don't have the depth at fullback for a season of sustained premier league football. We also don't have enough quality on the wing. Banega or wanayama would as someone pointed out on another thread provide more attacking impetus than signing a good winger or striker but they aren't going to cut out the defensive mistakes that blighted last season.

14. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

I am going to stick my neck out and say we will sign 4 by the end of the window. We still need right mid fielder to challenge Puncheon, a left midfielder to challenge Lallana and possibly another forward of the Lambert style. I really think that would be an absolute minimum..........Although we are still missing good established experience at premier level I have a gut feeling we are not going down this route in this window.

15. RickieLambertsGoldenBoot

RickieLambertsGoldenBoot Well-Known Member

16. Mikey

Mikey Well-Known Member

Personally wouldn't want more than five. I mentioned on the Transfer Rumour thread even if we only got Lovren, Wanyama and Stoch I'd consider that a job done this transfer window, but I wouldn't mind a fairly cheap young versatile full-back who can play both sides and/or another striker, but I'd also be fine if we left those areas as is. If we signed Wanyama we'd have Clyne and Chambers as proper right-backs, with Cork, Lovren and Wanyama all able to fill in there, and at left-back we'd have Shaw, Targett (Who I rate) and Clyne also able to make the switch across when needed. I'm keen on giving our academy kids a chance so Chambers and Targett with others able for emergencies would be fine by me.

17. James G

This isn't an argument though. I said that the coaches know what they have in players like Chambers and Targett (as well as Cork who has plenty of games there under his belt) and if they think they can step up (as many on here do) then there's no need to sign anyone for those positions.

We have an extraordinary academy and we have to consider the future route to the first team of the under 18s. We don't need two top players for every position, it's excessive and expensive.

Plus, who are we going to sign as a top right back that is going to come in and possibly start less than 20% of our matches throughout the season? Given Clyne's age, fitness and past injury record, that could even be generous to say they'd get that many starts.

18. rabbitspectrum

Very good points particularly the last one.

Our back up defence of
    Cork - Fonte - Yoshida - Targett

Isn't good enough imo and with the signing of one fullback it would be. Like you say it depends on the quality of chambers and targett. If they look likely it would be brilliant to see them come in and do a job for us. Even if we signed wanayama and bangega I would be more excited by seeing Chambers and Targett at fullback.

19. Mikey

Mikey Well-Known Member

You always need depth, but I agree that you need to leave a route for your best youngsters into the team, ideally with also a contingency in place as well. Looking back last season, we were mostly disappointed with not signing Buttner (Me more than most), but if we had done so then Shaw may never have broken through and we'd have wasted at least a year of his development. Targett and Chambers with various others chipping in would be enough for me, but I wouldn't mind as I said before getting a young full-back who can play both sides and having Clyne/Shaw/New FB/Chambers/Targett as our options.

20. James G

Firstly it's an extremely unlikely scenario to see all four of our first choice backline out! However this is what we have so far:

Clyne - Forren - Lovren - Shaw (Probable first choice, Forren will play this season, order he is preferred will be determined)
    Cork/Chambers - Yoshida - Fonte/Jos - Fox/Targett (Back up geek squad)

With the exception of left back (only due to a minor question mark over Targett) that looks pretty good. While RB may not be Cork's best role and it reduces the attack on that side, we can have faith he won't do anything stupid and his positional sense is fine. In fact the two centre backs are the exact same ones who were so solid at the tail end of last season! Plus we can also use Lovren at right back, although not his best position he's played important internationals at right back and, again, as Cork, he'd be solid if unspectacular I'm sure.