1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

How many midfielders do we need??

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Chelsea Pensioner, Dec 30, 2022.

1. Chelsea Pensioner

Chelsea Pensioner Well-Known Member

So many 100 m + midfielders being chased, who is the best fit??
    For me Hernandez is 3, Bellingham is 2 and Rice is 1. Why ? Rice can control the midfield, Bellingham can do amazing things, and Hernandez is unproven in PL. We have needed a mid field controller for 10 years, and I'd start there with Rice. That said, any of them would be an upgrade to our midfield.
    Have to concede Boehly, who I think was hopeless in his first foray into transfers, has seemingly quickly learned the difference between ordinary, overated players which he squandered money on last transfer period, and genuinely good players which he now seems be on the trail of.

2. Gareth1808

Gareth1808 Well-Known Member

We do need to refresh the midfield imo. Fernandez played a handful of games at Benfica and wins a World Cup with the worst world cup winning team I can ever remember and now he’s worth 100M? No chance. Rice is the profile we need but he’s overpriced. If we had a pick of any midfielder I’d go for Bellingham or Guimares at Newcastle. Of the Argentina midfielders at the World Cup id have taken McAllister and De Paul over Fernandez!

3. Chelsea Pensioner

I guess it's supply and demand, so many players are ridiculously overpriced. A couple of good games and they are 50 M or 75 M transfers. We don't have the best record for wasting transfer money, so I hope our strategy of buying all the best kids works out. Trouble is, you have to play them, which we seem reluctant to do.

4. Solid_Air 2

Solid_Air 2 Well-Known Member

It might not be the best but you are impressively good at it <whistle>

cytrax likes this.
  5. Chelsea Pensioner

Touche' , at least we are good at something !!
    Since the sale we seem to be trying to run before we can walk, at least off the field, on the field we seem to never run !!
    Hopefully our new man from Germany , director of football ?? or something like that, maybe he's got more clues about transfers than the last mob. Some pace in defence, a fit again James and Chillwell and a midfielder with some vision would be a good start. Oh and a couple of strikers !! Oh and a plan, that might not be a bad idea either. That should keep everyone busy for a couple of years.

Solid_Air 2 likes this.
  6. CFC: Champs £launderx17

Agree. Rice for sure as Fernandez unproven

7. CFC: Champs £launderx17

Develop Zakaria and Chucky get the odd game out of Kante towards end of season then look at Rice

8. Gareth1808

Zakaria does look like he has something to offer. He is definitely the sort of profile we need in a midfielder but I still think there is better out there, or maybe I’m being too harsh?
    Of all the young players though Chuk certainly looks the best, doesn’t seem to have much of a weakness. He needs more game time before the season ends.

9. Chelsea Pensioner

Oh my giddy aunt what a terrible show we put on against City.
    It certainly looks as if we are a team in crisis. We had a decent line up against City, but were shredded from start to finish. It appears the whole team is resigned to losing and there seems no spirit left anywhere. Easy to blame Potter, who does look unable to inspire even effort from his players, but with a backroom of enthusiastic amateurs calling the shots, he's on a hiding to nothing. Time to bring in some off the pitch football knowledge, with Boheley steering the ship we're heading for the rocks.

10. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

I thought the difference today was City not playing Haaland and instead starting with Bernardo and Mahrez. And Alverez also. Just suited Pep's style better of passing the ball and pulling your midfield snd defence apart.

Diego likes this.

11. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Hmm, seems like a target man v a poacher (or two/three) <laugh>

Makemstine Roger and Treble like this.
  12. Chelsea Pensioner

Looks as if you will get your suggestion up and running. Zakaria and Chucky have both looked good with some game time. Still not convinced that Potter is helping things playing Gallagher at wing back, Havertz up front, and Hall in a back 4. Seems wasteful and not using them properly. He is very short of ammunition with so many injuries, so he should make every shot count and play people in their best positions.Don't think that is always happening.

13. Gareth1808

Gallagher needs to be high up the pitch because his best asset is pressing the ball but ive hardly ever seen him play there for us. Hall looks like he could be a tidy wing back, excellent going forward but maybe a little limited defensively. We will see a change once we get the full backs fit but it looks like that could be a while.

Joao Felix looks like he’s joining too, cost Atletico 100M but whenever I’ve watched him (granted only a handful of times) I’ve always been a bit underwhelmed.

14. Chelsea Pensioner

Fully agree with your assessment of Gallagher and Hall. Pretty much what I was saying Gallagher needs to be up front harassing and making a nuisance and he can shoot too. Hall looked the business when first selected as an attacking wing back / midfielder, less so in a back 4. He's no Reece James yet, but he's quick, attack minded aggressive and crosses well. And he's fearless and energetic. Jaoa Felix looks like another expensive flop to me. Cost a fortune, done bugger all in a pretty ordinary Spanish League.. Does anyone apart from Boehly really think Potter can transform him and realise his potential??? I don't. Audi could though, TT improved so many of our youngsters and out of form oldsters. I wouldn't touch Jaoa Felix with a bargepole, we've got better under 21s'. Glad to see Boehly is not running recruitment any more he was a total disaster and set us back a full season.Good riddance.

Back to the topic of a week ago midfielders.
    Stop ****ing around with Fernandez and the Brighton Caicado or whoever he is and get the ONE we need Rice !!!! Not Bellingham, RICE. How ****ing hard is that ?? He's twice the player Hernandez is and exactly the type of midfielder we have needed for 7 or 8 years, one who can run and control our rudderless midfield. AND he's less than Hernandez !!!! Jesus wept .

Last edited: Jan 10, 2023
  15. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Just make sure you hand over all documents requested by the Premier League's FFP investigation.

16. CFC: Champs £launderx17

Like Hernandez so far, but let's get Rice and Bellingham too. Unless we have chukwuemeka earmarked for Bellingham role.

Felix is class, but yes let's see how he does

17. Chelsea Pensioner

Have to say I'm surprised how good Fernandez is, especially since he waltzed straight off the plane and onto the pitch. Bodes well. Felix is a cut above too. Rice would be a brilliant buy with those 2. Now if only we had a striker??

Gareth1808 likes this.
  18. Gareth1808

Agree. You can see the difference already. Pair Fernandez with a proper holding midfielder and that midfield should be sorted for the next 10 years.

I know they say not to get too attached to loan players but after watching Felix for a game and a half we haven’t had a player this exciting since Hazard. Early days for sure but if he carries on like this we need him permanently.

19. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

Atletico said we can buy him, for the cut price of 100m euros! <laugh>
    Not sure I would want to spend £80m on a player who has scored 25 goals in 100 games for Atletico.
    He has looked better than any striker in our squad this season, but lets face it, I would probably look better than any other striker in our squad this season thus far.