1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

How long does Harris have?

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by Lord Sondes Clock, Aug 17, 2022.

1. Lord Sondes Clock

Lord Sondes Clock Active Member

Thoughts? I’m not advocating a change of manager by the way, but if the results don’t come and the attendance numbers decline, how long before Scally / Fisher feel the need to be seen to act? Spending money on severance costs that could otherwise have been spent on players, which might have saved Harris his job in the first place?

I think I’m right in saying that was Harris’s 11th home league game last night, which have yielded 3 wins and just 4 goals scored. It makes for worse reading to note that it’s 1 win and 2 goals scored in the last 9 home games. As a product, that’s not going to put bums on seats.

I hate to say it, but I fear we’re standing over the deathbed of our beloved football club.

brb likes this.
  2. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

Lord Sondes - the reality of your last sentence forces me to not award you a 'like' for your post --- sorry!
    People who came to the Rochdale game and also last night might have some sympathy for Harris (( and even Evans before him.)) Harris has claimed that there was a lot of good football played by The Gills - that we lacked the 'cutting edge.'.... To an extent, I will agree . - however - there is a BUT - (( normal for me! ))
    At the Rochdale game, Gills failed to make many chances - and with 30 or so minutes to go, decided to just defend their lead.... OK -that objective was achieved - but - it was hardly convincing.
    Last night, we came against another team that had lost their previous games - and not scored........but - every time Harrogate came forward ( especially in the 2nd half ), looked as if they would score..... Actually they were very guilty of some dreadful misses - as well as being thwarted by some outstanding work by Morris.... The truth is that, if Harrogate had scored 6, Gills could have had no complaints.

S0 - what was the difference between the two teams ?

.... I doubt very much that it comes down to budget -- I cannot believe that Harrogate has any more money to spend on players than Scally gives to The Gills..... What I did see was a difference when Gills tried to play with the ball on the grass - and when they moved it ( and themselves), with some reasonable speed. (( this was also evident at the Rochdale game. )) When we managed to pass and move with a bit of pace, there were glimpses of opportunities developing... BUT, too often, it seemed that players were devoid of ideas. There was an awful lot of ponderous sideways and backwards play ((( greatly incensing the crowd at one particular point. ))) - it was so negative - and, with Harrogate 1-0 up at the time, they didn't care if Gills players tapped the ball between themselves in our defensive half of the pitch.... BUT -actually, Harrogate did care !

... It became obvious to the Harrogate players that there was a real chance to improve their goal difference... Rather than sitting on a 1-0 lead that would have been dreamland for most teams making a long journey - Harrogate increased their tempo - and wanted to attack (( with pace )), at every opportunity....... Like I said, they really should have scored 6 (( maybe more ! ))

Three of their players, Armstrong (29), Ramsey(15) and Muldoon (18) were a huge pain in the backside - particularly Armstrong !
    I was really impressed with their commitment -which was coupled with real pace - with a sense of urgency to move the ball forward....... These were players that were in the losing side in their previous games..... So - what was the difference ? -- The difference was that they came against The Gills - who allowed the opponent to be as free-flowing as they wished.. They weathered the first few minutes - as Gills seemed to have some idea - but quickly forgot how to play once we went 0-1 down..... At the end, 0-2 flattered The Gills.

The Gills have players of limited ability - so do Harrogate et al... The current Gills squad have shown glimpses of ability - to be more than comfortable in League 2 ... but they have also shown that they can quickly lose the plot - and allow the (( not so superior )) opponent to dictate the game...Gills have better reverse this trend - or the very real prospect of oblivion will prevail.

3. brb

brb CR250

I think Neil Harris, who is a very good manager, will / should see us through to the end now, we will either live or die under his management and I honestly can't think of a better manager for the task. If we fail, it will not be the fault of NH, but for...well let's not go there, we all know who's door it stops at and it is not the managers.

4. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

Cannot agree to say it is not Harris fault if we don't improve soon. Like Always said Harrogate finances likely to be less than ours but outplayed us.
    Ok we were unlikely to be in promotion mix but we should not be bottom 6 either.
    I was glad Harris became manager and gave us a real chance of staying up last season and with 6 games to go we needed 4 or 5 points and we felled.
    Really hope he turns it around cannot stand another season like last year.
    Scally is the easy target, but Harris should be doing better also.

alwaysright likes this.
  5. brb

brb CR250

Don't agree, I think I'm one of the few fans that has ever made Scally an easy target, far from it and anything I have spoken out about has generally been measured towards him, maybe you are confusing me with other fans.

The problem stems from the Championship years and managers now become a revolving door, the expectation is far greater than it was before we bacame a Championship club, we pick up new supporters and older breeds such as myself, just become complacent with the failures from the past (pre Scally years). We were always a division 4 club, it's just we improved for a few decades.

Personally I couldn't care if we did become a National League club, and I certainly wouldn't be blaming Neil, maybe some supporters just need to try looking a bit harder what's going on, I can see straight through this most recent recruitment at the top, who knows if it will work, but either way, it don't pull the wool over my eyes.

That shouldn't be perceived as having a pop at the new bloke at the top either, he will have my support too, all I say is it's as transparent as ever.

As Lord Sondes Clock said, I fear we are standing over the deathbed of our beloved club....and rest assured of one thing, that has nothing to do with Neil.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2022
  6. Lord Sondes Clock

I appreciate your thoughts guys. I suspect the observations around comparability of budget size and player quality between sides like Harrogate and ourselves are correct. If that is the case, what is the ingredient which makes the other sides hungrier, play with more urgency and be quicker in thought and deed? Does that come down to coaching, tactics or a general culture of apathy at the club? Maybe a combination of all things.

I think Harris is probably our biggest asset, but as is the way in football, I fear he might not get more than another dozen or so games to turn things around. Especially after the fully justified criticism over the dither and delay in parting with the previous manager.

At least we’ve got eye watering inflation and a cost of living crisis to distract us.

UTG!

alwaysright and brb like this.
  7. brb

brb CR250

I'm off topic a bit here but I have an easy solution to the cost of living crisis, and here is what I what do:

1. Nationalise the energy companies.
    2. Use energy profits to pay for the increased costs.
    3. Any top bosses that don't play ball stick in prison and freeze their personal and company accounts.

I have zero tolerance in holding citizens to financial ransom. the more I see of this nonsense the more I want to see us rule with a totalitarian style over anyone that is trying to screw us over.

Regards, Kim Jong-un

alwaysright likes this.
  8. Lord Sondes Clock

Another 3 games, tops I reckon. Anything less than 6 points from those and I think he’ll be clearing his desk.

alwaysright and brb like this.
  9. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

Have you sen the fixtures in October ? - there could be a bloodbath!

Lord Sondes Clock likes this.
  10. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

If we lose to Hartlepool Harris has to go. Hopefully by mutual consent