1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

How do you solve a problem like our midfield

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Klopp's Mannschaft, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Klopp's Mannschaft

Klopp's Mannschaft Well-Known Member

Our front 4 will start firing again soon, no doubt about it.

Even ignore the defense, they'd benefit massively from a midfielder who can do their job; stopping those through balls, filling in gaps on the flanks and dropping in between the CBs as needed.

Coutinho, I would say, has been one of our best players without the ball lately despite his roaming around! Always seems to be back, chasing and getting a foot in - or at least trying. If our form continues like this, possibly missing out on CL, not getting out the groups then he's off 100%. Our best hope was a great season and persuade him that we were moving forward. Unlikely at this rate.

Our other two midfielders (any combination of them) have been awful this season though! No wonder the defense are all over the place when balls go right through them. They are ineffective in every sense of the word.

I was a big fan of Henderson and think he used to be a big loss for our team when injured, but he's regressed massively this year. He was never a leader, so ignore that issue, but he seems to believe some hype about him where he can be the all action midfielder and sit back like Xabi and ping long balls all day or dictate the tempo like a Xavi. He can't. His big strength was never being in the limelight, always filling gaps, always running, always moving the ball forward quickly and to feet. He's stopped doing most of that.

Gini is more of a complimentary midfielder - like Henderson in a sense. That's what he was good at. You can't build a team around them, but they fill in perfectly and let the others play. He's on a really poor patch of form though.

I don't think Can has never been that good, but is still rolling on the crest of that wonder goal which he could never repeat again if he had 100 attempts. He's slow, positionally poor, thinks he's Iniesta at times with these ridiculous flat footed step overs and shimies which never come off and runs down blind alleys.

Three midfielders who are all pretty average but would look good alongside others. Problem is they're alongside other bang average midfielders who can't do anything themselves other than pass to Coutinho and watch him do something.

Like a few are starting to mention and realise, Lallana is a huge miss. He got a fair bit of stick for being a 'youtube player' with pointless 'cruyff turns' or for being all 'style over substance' but he was the single best player we had at pressing when necessary and knowing when to hold his position. He set the tempo for the others and I wouldn't discount his leadership when it came to the pressing either. He was good at getting the ball, keeping it (Hello Can) and turning and moving it forward but accurately (Hi Gini) to other players whilst always being in space (Yup, Henderson) to receive it too. Not a man mountain, but important.

I know Keita is coming in the summer. I'm dreaming about Keita and Coutinho in the centre next year, but we still need a bloody DM behind them!

Then we can see how **** Matip and Lovren really are.

edit: I guess this needs a question: Who's the most suited DM at our club? Milner? Who would you sign as a DM in the January?

BobbyD likes this.
  2. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

All us footy experts know we don't have a DM at the club but imo Can is the best option we have for that position at this moment.

3. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

You've solved the conundrum in your first sentence - 'our front 4'.

Which leaves a midfield of 2, and no width covering the full backs, so they're exposed as well.

It's OK trying to be the Harlem Globe Trotters going forwards but the price is that you're left open to penetration more than a back street whore

4. Milk not bear jizz

Milk not bear jizz Grasser-In-Chief

<laugh>. Midfield... Despite on paper being weak, I don't think is our main problem.

Yes, we need a quality, more defensive minded marshall to prevent things like Shelvey's pass yesterday.

I see two major areas of problem. First, the obvious, our defence cracks under slight pressure. Second, our attack sucks. What % of chances result in a goal? Very few. We quite likely have the most wasteful front line in top tier football anywhere.

If our forwards converted more of the goals that our midfield provide for them we wouldn't be moaning quite so much about the comedy of errors at the back.

The only problem with our midfield is it plays too attacking and has no anchor to protect our fragile backline. Keita may be the solution... But he's not coming anytime soon. Could make our current midfield sit back a little more... But as useless as we are at attacking, that might not help either.

5. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Keita doesn't really sit and protect though he's more box to box.

6. Milk not bear jizz

Then we're screwed. <laugh>

7. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

<ok>

8. moreinjuredthanowen

I would honestly go either 4231 or 41212

As we don't have a no 9 the 41212 seems only option

Stick mane and salah up top with coutinho behind.

It still does give a clear no 6 though to sit all the time.

9. Klopp's Mannschaft

See, the forwards ain't firing; it happens.
    The defense has been **** for years and make individual errors constantly; Klopp isn't doing anything about it apart from believing VVD is the next Messiah and will solve all our problems if he ever comes.

The midfield seem pretty sheltered from the criticism and yet, I would argue, they're the biggest component in any team. They contribute to the overall defense and attack. The attack can't function (sparing worldies like what Coutinho popped up with yesterday) without the midfield behind and similarly the defense can't function without the pressing, interceptions and covering from the midfield either - especially so when you consider Klopp loves his fullbacks to hug the opposition goal line.

Midfield is key and we lose the fight there every nearly every game.

DirtyFrank likes this.
  10. Klopp's Mannschaft

<laugh>.

The defense is constantly exposed. Their confidence is rock bottom. No wonder they crack at the slightest hint of a ball over the top! They need help (like every defense in the PL) and get none.

Yes, our midfield plays too attacking (I'd argue that apart from Coutinho they're **** at this anyway so why bother...) but none are capable of being the 'anchor'. Keita isn't that type of player either.

11. BobbyD

BobbyD President

When you say forwards you including mane and salah? I would argue the midfield don't provide them anything and they pretty much make the chances by themselves (minus couts).

luvgonzo likes this.
  12. Milk not bear jizz

When opposition score close to 100% of all shots on target and we score about 5% of shots on target it tells you we have a problem.

Yes, they could be protected better. We need an anchor, but neither they nor our forwards are doing well enough.

13. Milk not bear jizz

Salah is fantastic at getting in the right place for a pass, a rebound, or just sprinting to get in place. The problem is he only scores 1 out of 3 sure-things.

If he could get his shooting up somewhere close to his positional awareness he would be immense.

Mané is a one man army... He's about our only forward I can't criticise. Even Coutinho in attacking mid deserves criticism in my opinion. Yeah... He scores stunners like in Newcastle but he can be horrifically wasteful at times.

14. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

I agree, but then again we create loads of chances. Our finishing has been terrible we should be up there with City on goals scored. So I agree but we must both be wrong. <laugh>

15. BobbyD

BobbyD President

Oh their finishing is terrible (salah in particular) but i was against Milk saying the midfield create them the bucketload of chances to miss.

16. Solid_Air 2

Solid_Air 2 Well-Known Member

I'm convinced that Henderson is protecting the injured heel which partially explains the drop in form. In fact i think there have been a couple of occasions this season where he has "pretended" to make block tackles without really committing himself i.e. just dangling a leg there .

17. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Well someone is creating them but it's not really recorded, so **** knows. I can't remember myself but I think it is someone gives the ball to Salah or Mane and they have to go past 3 players.

BobbyD likes this.
  18. Milk not bear jizz

Someone in midfield is frequently involved.

19. Jimmy Squarefoot

Jimmy Squarefoot Well-Known Member

For now - we should swap Hendo and Can.

Can should hold and Klopp should slap him if he vacates.

And let Hendo run around like a dog. It’s what he’s good at.

One thing is for sure - we can’t have Hendo as number 6. It’s suicidal.

20. Enricky.

Enricky. Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

DEFENCE!

Solid_Air 2 likes this.