1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic How Are You Celebrating Brexit Day ?

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by Bitter & Malicious, Oct 30, 2014.

1. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

There's a difference between judging a player and making a guess as to what we can expect. Since this is a discussion forum where I am keen to read other fans' honest opinions regardless of how well informed they are I hope Vol and others continue to do so. And Eddie can keep making his predictions just as I make mine for example that Pigott would be our top scorer this season.

2. ForestHillBilly

Nice to see a Charlton old boy doing well. Michael Smith scored a superb goal to settle Swindon's game against Bristol City after running through their defense. Swindon's manager described it as an "unbelievable goal- a fantastic finish". In the same game another old boy didn't do so well- Scott Wagstaffe was subbed in the second half.

3. Bitter & Malicious

Bitter & Malicious Well-Known Member

Smith must be worth a million by now?

Wagstaff rarely starts for Bristol. I bet his mum is disappointed.

4. Miketyson2007

Miketyson2007 Well-Known Member

I will always love Waggy and all those in our league championship winning season he loves charlton

5. dick plumb

dick plumb Well-Known Member

Big cock up by Sir Christopher Powell over Michael Smith. I had seen enough of him in U21 games to see that he was worth a try in the first team. But for whatever reason Powell didn't pick him. He is now showing what he can do in Div one. There are a number of clubs that are after him. We took a punt on buying him from Darlington for £100,000.00 and if he was handled properly, he would be playing for us now alongside Vetekole, as he is just the player we are looking for.

6. User deleted as requested

User deleted as requested Well-Known Member

I know a couple of people at Swindon dick. They are owned by an ex player of ours (not a very good one). Swindon are very confident of getting a seven figure fee for Michael Smith....very confident !

7. typical

typical Well-Known Member

I think everyone on here rated Michael Smith. I cannot recall anyone not thinking he wouldn't make a decent Div 1, Championship striker all except Private Powell.

I was livid when he got sold.

8. ForestHillBilly

We weren't exactly overburdened with free-scoring strikers either. Yet as I said on 'ere I didn't expect ever to see Smith in a Charlton shirt. Even when we brought him back after his last loan, I was convinced Powell didn't rate him.

9. ForestHillBilly

To be fair Smith's finishing wasn't top-notch especially one-on-ones, but neither was Andy Hunt's when he joined us. But he was always a real workhorse, and was one of the main reasons Pigott scored so many goals. THe difference was that Curbs had the insight to stick with Hunt and he became one of my favourite Charlton players. THat's what I think Pigott needs, a manager who believes in him regardless

10. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

CP wasn't the first, and won't be the last to let a player slip through their fingers. It was a tough time for the club - he tried the pig who some thought was the more likely to make it but that move seemed detrimental at the time. It also must not be forgotten that smith then asked for a move and CP thought he was doing right by him as he couldn't promise him playing time.

11. ForestHillBilly

The owners also wanted to get something for him before his contract expired. But Smith didn't ever get any game time, and he was at the club for a few years, and I wonder how much Powell actually saw him. Remember Powell didn't watch the U-21's, unlike Bob, so I wonder what his opinion of Smith was based on.

12. ForestHillBilly

Darren Bent gone to Brighton on a month's loan. Would have been a good signing for us. Only for a month, what would we have had to lose?

13. Captain Blackaddick

Captain Blackaddick Well-Known Member

I disagree. He is no longer the player he once was. The fact that he can't get into a very poor Villa side is telling.

Igor is, to my mind, a better player than Bent at the moment. What we need is a foil for him, namely The-Frenchman-Who-Must-Not-Be-Mentioned.

14. typical

typical Well-Known Member

I kinda want Bent to come back. Curbs described him as a 'needs a hug' type of player. He needs that arm around him , he needs to hear his name cheered. Villa has not been a success for him because he is not the star man. CAFC might just give him that love that he craves.

15. Captain Blackaddick

Captain Blackaddick Well-Known Member

Fair point, but I still don't think he's what we need.

Unless, of course, Igor gets injured again.

16. ForestHillBilly

What I had in mind was Igor and Bent playing nicely together. And if Bent really has lost it it's only for a month.

17. User deleted as requested

User deleted as requested Well-Known Member

We shouldn't touch Bent with a barge pole.

I saw him a while ago in Covent Garden with a young lady who resembled Vicky Pollard. Lets just say he is twice the man he used to be. Think Jerome Thomas after a week in the KFC.

18. West Stand Willy

West Stand Willy Active Member

Vol - off topic but thanks for the PM - I replied but got this message : Royston (Vol) Vasey has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

Jeez, you must be getting some abuse:emoticon-0112-wonde

19. ForestHillBilly

Bent scored for Brighton today.

20. ForestHillBilly

Karl Oyston, a member of the football league board, calls one fan a retard, and tells him to enjoy his special needs day out. How far down can he drag the club?