1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Grand Prix thread HONDA JAPANESE GRAND PRIX 2022

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by ched999uk, Oct 7, 2022.

?

Who will cross the line first?

Poll closed Oct 8, 2022.
  1. Max Verstappen

7 vote(s)
    77.8%
  2. Charles Leclerc

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Lewis Hamilton

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. Carlos Sainz

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  5. Sergio Perez

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. George Russell

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Lando Norris

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Fernando Alonso

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Yuki Tsunoda

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Any Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. eddie_squidd

eddie_squidd Well-Known Member

Ah well.

El_Bando likes this.
  2. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

And I thought what happened in Singapore was bad. Procedure is getting sloppy.

3. eddie_squidd

Just stick full wets on them and get them circulating. I don’t know why they don’t.

4. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

I mean about the recovery truck. The FIA have released a statement saying it was Gaslys fault as the red flag was shown just before it. But I don't believe the recovery vehicle was out after the red flag was shown.

Last week we had green flags with marshals on track.

eddie_squidd likes this.
  5. eddie_squidd

Yeah, sorry I realised after I posted what you were referring to. And you are correct.

6. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Utter madness, the tractor was on track long before the red flag. Vettel, Latifi, Checo were all furious on the radio to their teams reporting it, they weren't told beforehand. And they were all behind the safety car at the time. Heads should absolutely roll for that.

Showed my partner the on-board from Gasly with the sound off and no context. Then asked after if she spotted the tractor on track. She didn't see it at all on first viewing.

It's on the track, within track limits, long before the pack is fully bunched up. It's on the outside of the corner responding to an accident literally caused by someone aquaplaning off track in that direction. Any car could do that behind the safety car, never mind with Gasly trying to catch it.

It's so unacceptable, at Suzuka of all places. The FIA statement saying that the red flag was out when Gasly passed it is shocking. It's a matter of 1-2 seconds between the flag and Gasly passing it, when presumably he was under the delta time and under instructions to catch the pack. He's being investigated for speeding under the red flag, after he has passed the crash site - fair enough, he should have been slower - but the fact he's not being investigated for his driving earlier in the lap shows the fault at that stage is squarely with the FIA.

7. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

Anyone get the impression we are having a restart just to go behind the SC to avoid any need to refund the fans and hand out some ****ty points?

moreinjuredthanowen and pieguts like this.
  8. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

Congrats Max on his second WDC.

No doubt about this one- he and Red Bull in their own league this season.

9. pieguts

pieguts Mentor

Said the same to my Mrs.

moreinjuredthanowen likes this.
  10. Julius Caesar

Julius Caesar Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Good to see that after Spa last year that the FIA completely and 100% resolved the issue of how many points should be awarded for rain curtailed races....

Seriously embarrassing for the sport for the title winning moment to be a debate about basic procedures half an hour after the race.

DHCanary, ched999uk, Big Ern and 3 others like this.

11. Sportista

Sportista Well-Known Member

Congratulations to Max and RedBull. Given where they were at the start of the year, they’ve done really well to turn it around - I can’t think when we last had a situation where the a car/driver turned in such dominant performances, without being the outright fastest on a Saturday.

I can accept that the last lap incident was difficult to manage for the FIA, but the rest of the bungling is squarely at their door today, they really not had a good first year under the new president.

12. Mark Blow

Mark Blow Well-Known Member

Gasly has been given a 20 second penalty and 2 penalty points for speeding under the red flag .

Formula 1 should be a simple sport to police regarding points awarded etc but the last couple of years have been an utter shambles.

Apparently the FIA wanted to change the race from now to May for the better weather etc , but Suzuka said no. The FIA should have said, you either move or you never hold the Formula 1 race again.

Congratulations to Max for his second world Championship regardless of the FIA not knowing what they are doing . Hopefully Ferrari will learn from their multiple errors this year but I won’t hold my breath.

13. moreinjuredthanowen

In fairness to gasly his anger and his point is entirely valid. The person who let that tractor out on track should be arrested never mind fired. They know the result that's possible here more than anywhere. If a tractor is requited.then all cars need to be taken in when it's wet like this.

With respect to his antics he knows he is under a safety car and is not actually thinking. He's tearing round with no idea what's ahead in really wet conditions so the same valid point he made about the people who put everyone in danger can be made to him. He will have zero idea what he will come across and is going at massive speed so personally I think he is due an apology from stewards while they are giving him his penalty.

How does he know where sainz or whoever is positioned where he went off?

Did his team tell him where sainz went off?

The lad is rightly angry at seeing that tractor on the track but lessons need to be learned in the drivers room as well.

DHCanary, ched999uk and TopClass like this.
  14. Quite Possibly Raving

Quite Possibly Raving Well-Known Member

Congrats to Max. He deserves a legit title and he's been in a league of his own this year.

15. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

Legit title? We don't know if it is yet, we know how RBR like to use any language to explain why what is written can be viewed ambiguously, won't surprise me if they're well over 5% of their operating budget .

16. Quite Possibly Raving

Quite Possibly Raving Well-Known Member

It's legit to me until proven otherwise - and I suspect it won't be. My guess is that the big 3 teams have all undertaken some shady practices (the example I read being senior engineers being paid 20% from HR pot, not covered by cost cap, to account for the time they doing interviewing etc) to live with the cost cap. Merc and Ferrari won't want to press RB too far because they don't want the spotlight on them. At the end of the day, Newey built a cracking cad and Max drove it to perfection. Just a shame that Horner is happy.

17. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

Only had time to glance at this race... Life has been in the way a lot lately, but how did we wind up with full points?

18. ched999uk

ched999uk Well-Known Member

The FIA made a mistake in writing the rules. As long as the race restarted full points would be awarded! So if they hadn't been able to restart after the red flag then the lower points would have been awarded but because they restarted (even for only 1 lap) full points were awarded!!

19. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

What a balls up. Lol. Ah well, was only a matter of time before Max won the title, so doesn't really change anything, so gratz to him on title two.

Hope it's not many years before we see a title as close as last season again.

ched999uk likes this.