1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Holloway Gone! Steve McClaren In?

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by QPR999, May 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daverangers

daverangers Well-Known Member

The only positive feeling I have, is that after McClaren left us that year our football got a lot worse, and we won less games. He was doing something, whether it was in training or from the bench during games, that was really helping us out. Assuming he can bring back whatever expertise he was using to help us out last time, it could be a good appointment. As I write that though, I can't help but have an uneasy feeling in my stomach for Holloway. Tranmore summed up Ollie's situation perfectly;

Also can't help but remember another time we sacked Ollie and then had to watch him take Blackpool into the Premier League, thus proving he is capable of doing it.

2. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

I read that yesterday Ski, and it does paint the picture that Ollies time was up with his constant tinkering and determination to stick with the 3-5-2, as well as some of his other eccentricities.

The point Clive makes about retaining the current scouting network with Gary Penrice is important in my opinion, as he's a close friend of Ollie so may feel he is pressurised into walking too. We need to recruit well over the summer to have any chance of progression in this league, hopefully McLaren (or whoever it turns out to be) has a plan and targets that are within our budget, and gets the squad fired up for the new season.

Rodney likes this.
  3. QPRski

QPRski Well-Known Member

I agrre. I hope that the Board hgas taken the Gary Penrice situaton into account. It is a big risk and could be a big loss.

4. Ninj

Ninj Well-Known Member

Not inspired by appointment. Just wonder whether TF has a deal with an umbrella maker which helped sway this decision

WalsallHoop and QPR Oslo like this.
  5. Didley Squat

Didley Squat Well-Known Member

It could be a watershed moment.

kiwiqpr and UTRs like this.
  6. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

7. rrrrrs

rrrrrs Well-Known Member

We still seem to be fairly rudderless! One minute we need stability, the next we're changing management again. I think it's time TF stood down.

8. Ciarrai_Abu

Ciarrai_Abu Well-Known Member

TF's first mistake was sacking Warnock. I think he is being badly advised since.

9. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

Spot on and then losing him the second time. I don't buy into the stories of NW not staying because of his wife's illness as he went into the Cardiff job shortly after. Always thought it had something to do with our management structure and the DOF.
    Ollie was again a poor choice however he did what he needed to do. He kept us up when most thought (including me) that he would take us down.
    I don't want another crap manager, it's about time we got a result and brought in some decent.
    Only at QPR.

WalsallHoop likes this.
  10. Rangerw9

Rangerw9 Well-Known Member

I get what people say about stability being key but you have to have the right man in charge. At least we now have time to make those decisions ! I can’t help feeling the jfh sacking and installation of olly was all rushed and he was never the right man to bring back in . We wouldn’t have gone down with jfh and they should have had a more measured approach that summer making plans for the right man to come in.
    I hadn’t renewed my season ticket as some of the football we played this year was awful to watch . I will be renewing today as now have some hope .

11. Willhoops

Willhoops Well-Known Member

Was a bit shocked about this when I heard yesterday. Not sure anyone we can get in will get the club much further up the table, with the level of expenditure we have I'm happy enough with mid table be that upper or lower as long as we are safe, with what's gone on in recent years some stability would be nice.

Not sure who I'd like to see in, guess it's easier to decide who you don't want, Sherwood who tops that list is thankfully a million miles from getting it. If Darren Moore doesn't get the West Brom job he might be worth a shout. The one thing I would like to see is players not being totally frozen out, JET I can understand but some of the others including that Polish centre mid for instance still baffles me (I do get that they see a lot more than I do).
    Like I saw someone mention I think getting in someone early is very important, transfer window opening, a world cup not far away... It just makes sense to me for the incoming to know what he has and to have spent time with the squad before trying to recruit. The feeling I get is that Steve McClarren has been lined up for the past few weeks, but few things would surprise me at QPR

12. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

Ferdinand advised against appointing Holloway.

NorwayRanger, bobmid and sb_73 like this.
  13. Shawswood

Shawswood Well-Known Member

Couldn’t agree more, there is a proper way to do things and this doesn’t seem to be in that ballpark.

WalsallHoop likes this.
  14. Ciarrai_Abu

Really???

15. Ciarrai_Abu

I think this may have been Holloway's downfall.

16. Stroller

Yeah, I remember TF saying so himself in some interview or other. Not sure I'd be able to find it, though.

17. jeffranger

jeffranger Well-Known Member

18. Stroller

please log in to view this image

kiwiqpr and UTRs like this.
  19. Tramore Ranger

Tramore Ranger Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

To stop any misleading comments, he finished as temporary manager in December 2015, in February 2016 he became Manager of Rotherham where he kept them in the Championship and left them in May 2016. He was appointed manager of Cardiff in October 2016........hardly shortly after.

20. Ciarrai_Abu

Page 196 please.

What was meant by Holly might not be strategic enough?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.