1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Holidays

Discussion in 'The Premier League' started by luvgonzo, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Stan

Stan Stalker

Always a good idea to mix with the locals on holiday. Do you sit in English bars and watch repeats of Only Fools and Horses when you’re in Greece or Spain?

Edelman likes this.
  2. Sucky

Sucky peoples champ & forum saviour

Yes I do, if I'm not throwing beer bottles at the local brown people

3. I was indeed - but got so pissed beforehand I had double vision for most of the game <doh>

Archers Road likes this.
  4. Edelman

Edelman Well-Known Member

N
    No but you are quite right to be worried !
    My former boss was about to book on on the net until his lad noticed at the last second it was a scam site !

5. Edelman

Edelman Well-Known Member

Funny how so many want to go abroad,Drink Carling and John Smith's and sit in British pubs only talking to Brits.
    Eat walkers crisps !
    Have a full English Breakfast in a morning and a good old English meal for tea !
    Then complain that foreigners in our country don't integrate !:emoticon-0145-shake

6. Sucky

Sucky peoples champ & forum saviour

It's ok my brown gf throws **** at the white people to keep it fair

7. DerekTheMole

DerekTheMole Well-Known Member

Used James Villas last year and the service was great. For ease of booking I'd recommend but as has been said you can get cheaper if you look elsewhere. I just liked the idea of making one booking and accommodation, flights, transfers etc were all sorted.

We went to a nice area called Galé in the algarve.

brb likes this.
  8. Sweats

Sweats Fat lives matter
    Forum Moderator

I can’t stand hotels. Much rather villa holiday. Though tobes is right you need a car. Been going to the costa Blanca for 17 years and stay in peoples villas.

Tobes, brb and Sucky like this.
  9. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

If I were married with kids I'd probably look to buy an unwanted timeshare in Scotland. You can pick up a 3bed in peak season for about 2-3k, they have an amazing exchange value, you'll probably be able to exchange 1 week for 2 or 3 and really could exchange it to go anywhere else.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    Deleted....... likes this.
  10. brb

brb CR250

If you was planning on doing something like Florida, I would say defo have a villa, the overall cost is cheaper than booking an hotel, say for a family of four+. Plus you get your own pool, kitchen, etc. Sometimes if you look you can find UK based citizens who have properties for holiday rent out in the states. They will give you a code for the keybox generally for when you get out there.

If you are doing a holiday in Europe, check out something like Airbnb, just make sure you do lots of research though, on exact location of the property and does it offer everything you want, and DON'T always rely on their own reviews. Don't forget in places like Italy and also the States you will pay a residence or occupancy tax per day, it's not normally much but just check if it is included. Also check if they want a refundable deposit for any breakages and if there is a cleaning fee, it's all the little adds-on that you've got to watch. See if the property is listed on Tripadvisor, their reviews are always worth checking out.

One last tip, always have a copy of your passport on you or at the very least a photo of it on your phone. A lot of places on arrival may request a copy or at the very least details from it. It's the norm and if they take your passport off you for 24hrs at least you've got a back up copy.

luvgonzo likes this.

11. brb

brb CR250

Generally if in Europe and using cabs, the way I work out what the cost is going to be is say do a starting tariff of 5 or 6 euros, then add one euro per km....so a 3km journey is 9+ euro rough estimate. The further out you go, it starts averaging out 1 euro a km in total. Generally I will travel 13km in a cab (20 euro) so ok for a run from the airport, any more than that start thinking about other means of transport. ie Car hire if it's going to become regular trips. Oh and one last thing, if a cab goes through tolls, you have to pay that as well.

12. Sweats

Sweats Fat lives matter
    Forum Moderator

If you go to Spain, hire a car, taxis are **** unless you’re in a resort. If you do what you say and stay in a small town or village the taxis are awful. Use firefly, they’re cheap as chips, but you have to pay their insurance and excess waiver.

Booking.com and airbnb are sites I’ve used.

13. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

I’m off to a Villa soon for a holiday, going with friends/kids etc and got us a proper decent pad on Airbnb. If I’m spending a few grand on a holiday I don’t want to see or hear other people’s (strangers) stupid ****ing kids all day every day. I always get the adult only venues of any hotels we go to but now we’ve got our own kids there’s no chance of that so Villa will do just fine.

Tobes likes this.
  14. The Ginger Marks

I know a fat **** who has a mini castle in Cornwall but I forget his name...Jeez! Perhaps Tubby or something like that.

15. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

What, you just break in and stay until someone notices you're there?

16. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

My own kids irritate the **** out of me, I want to gun other peoples down most of the time.

Mine just bicker and battle each other, all day, every day, while on holiday. It's wearing as ****.

We're going up Snowdon tomorrow and I reckon they'll have got away with murder if I don't push one of them off Crob Goch.

Being in a Villa with just the family sounds like the worst holiday in the world. The only way it would be peaceful would be if their heads were stuck in some device or other, which is what causes the problems in the first place.

gooner4ever and Tel (they/them) like this.
  17. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

<laugh>

What a happy chappie.

I like my family. Looking forward to it, although when my kids are teenagers I’ll probably remember this post.

18. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

I didn't say I didn't like them, it's just when they are at each others throats. Which is constantly.

You'll find out once they're all a bit older, trust me.

Tobes and Tel (they/them) like this.
  19. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

This ^

We tend to avoid going anywhere during the school holidays now, and we would never book a hotel that had even the remotest possibility of being full of kids, can’t be doing with them.

Tel (they/them) and brb like this.
  20. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

Mine would always seem to save their ultimate strops for the annual holiday. Thanks for spending a fortune bringing us here Dad, and to show my gratitude here’s the mother of all ****ish behaviour and a mammoth sulk.

Chief and brb like this.