1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Holden's Class Act

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Jan 19, 2021.

1. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Dean Holden's classy message for Steve Cotterill over battle with COVID-19
    Robins head coach hoping that the former Bristol City boss is soon back on the sidelines.

Steve Cotterill will go down in the annals of Bristol City folklore as the man who won a first league title in 60 years for the Robins.

The double-winning season of 2014/15 is etched into the mind of every City fan and supporters will have been horrified to hear the news on Monday morning that Cotterill has been in intensive care after contracting COVID-19 recently.

The now Shrewsbury Town manager, recently named the manager of the month for December in League One, is reported to be, hopefully, over the worst and may be back to working soon.

"Yeah, absolutely [we would like to send a message]: it's really sad and surprising to hear that news. I spoke to him 10 days ago on the back of his manager of the month award," said Holden on Monday afternoon.

"He's been out of the game but come back and got manager of the month in his first game.

"He's obviously been doing a really good job at Shrewsbury, and it's sad news to hear that he's been in intensive care. So on behalf of myself and everybody at Bristol City Football Club we wish him well," said Holden.

Cotterill guided City to a club record 99 points in climbing to the second tier as the Robins also won the Football League Trophy for a record third time.

And Holden went on to comment on that special team that was promoted to the Championship six years ago.

"He certainly did have a good impact here," said the head coach.

"He had a team there in League One that got promoted and played some real good stuff and were a real attacking exciting team to watch - and they had some good success with cup wins as well.

"We wish him well," added Holden.

Former City striker Aaron Wilbraham issued an update on Cotterill's condition on Monday.

Cotterill's assistant says that the former striker is hopefully now on the mend.

"To start with, it's such a strange atmosphere without the gaffer being around the place. He's a ball of energy and we have definitely missed him," said Wilbraham.

"The gaffer has been really poorly over the last two weeks and was in the Intensive Care Unit over the weekend. He's had a bad case of Covid and it was quite worrying at some points. We're all wishing him well and he is getting better.

"He's starting to crack a couple of jokes and has told me to tell the lads that he'll be watching from his hospital bed. I know he's improving, and that is a massive relief to everyone. It has been a crazy time, to be honest, but he is on the mend."
    https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/dean-holdens-classy-message-steve-4902312

2. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Good on you DH, it's great that one of the main people at Bristol City have shown a mature responce , demonstrated some respect towards Cott's and acknowledged he gave us a team of Champions and Cup winners, the best season this club had had in years.

I didn't realise Cotterill had already won a league 1 manager of the month award since his appointment, still a quality manager.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  3. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone connected with the club wouldn't acknowledge what SC did for us, nor wish him a speedy recovery. I would have liked to SL reiterate that message as well tbh, in not doing so in conjunction with DH makes us look bad as a club imo.

bcfcredandwhite, Redprintt and Jiffie like this.
  4. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

Yeah good luck to SC, I'm sure he will be fine and yes a very good manager at that level..

Supcon72 likes this.
  5. Red Squid

Red Squid Well-Known Member

I’m not sure whether any of us know if SL or anyone else has been in touch with Cotts or not, or even what may have been said by way of sympathy or support.

Why do your think that these things should always be in the public domain?

6. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

It took the club 4 days to acknowledge the death of Bobby Kellard, don't hold your breath.

7. Supcon72

I feel as a former manager, that the owner maybe should offer his support and well wishes publicly. Just my opnion.

8. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

You are damned by faint praise.

Angelicnumber16, wizered and Supcon72 like this.
  9. Supcon72

<laugh><laugh> you kill me RP....

Redprintt likes this.
  10. oneforthebristolcity

Why is it feint........Just the truth......I know how hard that is for some!! :emoticon-0136-giggl

Supcon72 likes this.

11. Supcon72

It could well be 2 ex-City managers getting that monthly award back to back. I doubt the other one will get a mention though....?

12. Redprintt

Faint and Feint have different meanings.

500 lines by the morning 1For.

Angelicnumber16 and Supcon72 like this.
  13. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Quite right, I complimented Holden on his respectable attitude and response to Cotts.

14. Redprintt

You can bet your life one esteemed 606 member will make it known :emoticon-0148-yes:

15. Supcon72

Which implies someone else did not? Has someone else, with either current or previous connections to City not been respectful about SC's current health situation?

16. Supcon72

Or maybe two esteemed members:emoticon-0100-smile

oneforthebristolcity likes this.
  17. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Pointless question that implies my lack of interest with any previous failures with Bristol City connections.

18. oneforthebristolcity

Either way <laugh> Still the question is why? It is still the truth

19. oneforthebristolcity

I'm not bothered what he does for other clubs TBH. I only have one club :emoticon-0105-wink:.........but maybe I might should he ever return!! <laugh>

20. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

I like the first part of your answer.:emoticon-0103-cool:

oneforthebristolcity likes this.