1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Hoffman - transfer situation

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Southern A, Apr 20, 2022.

1. Southern A

Southern A Well-Known Member

Says in his latest column he needs 25 appearances to make his transfer permanent and he’s only on 23.

Might explain Patterson’s prolonged run in the team. Although Patterson is doing well so no harm.

https://t.co/6YfzwKIBwi

2. Oliver's Army

Oliver's Army Well-Known Member

Good read. Doesn't look like we will be signing him. Burge is back on the bench and fit again now.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  3. flandersmackem

flandersmackem Well-Known Member

Patterson has earned the right to be our number one. He is a very safe keeper who could become a legend with our club

4. rowley

rowley Well-Known Member

Aye. He is our best now. He has really benefited from a run of games and looks a goodun.

5. The Berk

The Berk Well-Known Member

He’s a pretty decent keeper Hoffman and will have a good career. Patterson to me was shaky whenever I saw him early on, but he’s getting better and better and fully deserves to be number one now, and has done for a while.

6. John Wick

John Wick Well-Known Member

haha. we've been here before with Mr 49 haven't we? We probably can't afford the fee.

7. John Wick

We never keep our home grown players to become legends mate. We sell them on and stuff like "can't really blame him" and "good luck to him" gets said. That's the problem and has been for a long time. It'll be the same when Dan Neil and Embo leaves at some point. It's about time we started saying no and build.

8. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

Flattered to deceive. I wouldn't want him anywhere near the team in the Championship.

9. FellTop

FellTop Well-Known Member

I would sign him personally and let him and Patterson battle it out next season. Both look good enough to me. We are going to need some sort of squad stability in the summer as so many are out of contract, would be decent to have 2 keepers ready to go who are settled.

10. FellTop

I agree mate and it is a sad state of affairs. I have a horrible feeling we will lose Dan Neil in the summer because I am not convinced Alex Neil fancies him. It is beyond my understanding why he doesnt get more time on the pitch, particularly now he has had the break he allegedly needed. Dan must be sat there thinking he should be playing, and even on Monday in his 10 minutes he showed how quickly he can turn the opposition round by playing on the half turn and playing forward. He might just be thinking I might as well be at a club where I will play and for sure his development is being stalled by not playing now. I will be gutted if we dont get to see him for another year at least and it will say a lot about the master plan the owners supposedly have if he does go. Best young play I have seen come through in many many years.

Robertson likes this.

11. Draig

Draig Well-Known Member

I think he is certainly worth buying, just look at Patterson last year and how he has improved over this season.

I think The Hoff has the same potential and so reckon he has more to offer the club than Burge, who looks to have topped out as a league one goalkeeper.

12. LD19SAFC

LD19SAFC Well-Known Member

Confident of promotion?

Draig and clockstander like this.
  13. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

Have you seen Carney yet, he looks a real find. If I were KLD I would keep all three, ship out Burge and loan out one of the others. Ensuring we have good options in a key position, and a big chance of making some serious money in the process.

cumbrianmackem likes this.
  14. clockstander

You may well be right about AN., but I think , or hope, he is protecting Dan Neil at this crucial stage and intends to go with the experienced option of Pritchard as playmaker. I would however like to see him start Dan if possible, give him 60 minutes then revert to Embo as the impact sub, keeping both involved. Its a tricky one but we need to keep both of them happy imo.and not loose them too soon.

15. John Wick

I think it's both rest and keeping him out of harms way. 3 possibilities imo

1.He will be some of next seasons transfer fund if we don't go up and eventual 15 million quid bid comes in from Villa or somewhere like that. So as it stands, "keep him safe"

2. We go up and he stays.

3. He stays anyway.

That's the problem we have. tin hat on here, but it's like the whole Defoe clart on. I'm mean what the f**k was all that about? Unless it was injury,and if it was, so be it but if not, I'm sure he could've stuck around for the last few games as an option, and we just waved him off. I'm not on a moan mate but this gose back to the prem days of not building when we could have. Mvilla wanted to be here, Cisse, daft stuff with only playing Thome for 49 games. The way football is, is the reason the big clubs get bigger and the rest of us just have to be grateful.

16. FellTop

I havent seen anything of Carney at all. I know he had a good reputation when he came in and we did well to get him. It would be very nice to have a good keeper again, we have a history of very good ones.

clockstander likes this.
  17. FellTop

I hope you are right and it makes sense in many ways. My feeling is with Pritchard being out Alex has changed the formation around a bit when he could have slotted Neil in there and stayed with a similar style. Neil wouldnt be as good off the ball as Pritchard but I like to think Matete gives us cover in that sense now. I wonder if he doesnt trust Dan and it is no surprise in Alex's position if he opts for experience. Easy for me to say he should be playing but I will be really disappointed if he moves on as to me he is a player to build a team around, whatever league we are in next season.

cumbrianmackem and clockstander like this.
  18. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

We were never going up with all our young players playing week in and week out. How has our results been these last 10 games without Dan starting?

19. clockstander

Defoe is a real mystery, I don't buy into what was said by either party, it did not add up. I also thought he would be here until the end of the season and still think he would have been a useful player to have around the place, if only to sit on the bench at Wembley.

FellTop likes this.
  20. FellTop

Good post mate. I was prepared to buy the fact the young lads needed a rest initially when Alex came in, although new managers will always point to fitness as an issue in one way or another and I take it with a pinch of salt. I think now though it shouldnt be about rest, they have had a long rest now. I do suspect it is a trust issue for Alex, and that is not a criticism of him as only he sees them in training. I will though be gutted if they are protecting him on the basis he is a transfer kitty in the summer, that would be maddening and would smack of owners who havent understood us as a club and fanbase at all. I have a doubt Alex would tow that line as well, he seems to much of his own man to be handcuffed like that. I am going to cling to the hope he is the main man in the play offs and gets MOTM at Wembley and absolutely shines in the championship.

clockstander likes this.