1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Hey, Gooch isn't shyte ...

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Smug in Boots, Feb 21, 2021.

1. rb92

rb92 Well-Known Member

He just needs to find some consistency. He was brilliant between December and February last season. I was lucky enough to be at MK Dons when he bent in that beautiful 20 yarder with his left foot with about 10 minutes to go last season. Limbs everywhere.

Robertson, RTB and Nads like this.
  2. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

To be fair Parkinson barely said anything about it, there were numerous stories that leaked out that I doubt he had anything to do with. For me I wouldn't consider having him on as a coach.

He's absolutely proved me wrong on the pitch though, I was convinced he was finished but somehow he's better than ever, fair play to him.

Robertson likes this.
  3. Gil T Azell

Gil T Azell Well-Known Member

A mere month ago I wasnt bothered if we got rid of them all. There was possibly 3 or 4 (O9, Willis, Hume & Sanderson if poss) I would have kept. Now there are quite a few who may not be 1st 11 but will be decent squad players.

As for Gucchi I think he gives 100%. All I want is that commitment from them all.

Robertson and Vincemac like this.
  4. APC

APC Well-Known Member

I know this is a thread based on Gooch’s performance but I also though Winchester done well when he came on, think he deserves a bit credit, anyone agree?

5. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Wouldn’t say ‘take him on as a coach’ as such mate, more give him that extra year and have him work with the young attackers on that side.

He’s a lot to show them.

clockstander likes this.
  6. Paperback Ruiter

Paperback Ruiter Well-Known Member

Always rated and valued Goochs contributions but I stand my criticism of his pace. It was is glaring hole in his game when we as a team don't play well. Now that we're better overall, and the midfield actually press, his pace isn't an issue and his other attributes can shine.

clockstander likes this.
  7. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Oh right I get you now, still not for me but I get you. Apart from my doubts about him I suspect he'd have the same problem that Keane and Di Canio did where they're so damn good themselves and they can't understand why others can't do the same as them and get frustrated.

I'd deffo be happy to keep him on the playing side until retirement basically, he's a new man under Johnson. Even when he's an old duffer he'd still be worth having on the bench for those moments of magic.

Nads likes this.
  8. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

Gooch rarely beats his full back, he hasn't got the required skills or pace, he is very good at running into spaces, but runs out of space out wide imo. if I am right the dilemma is where to play him in our set up, I am watching this with interest as LJ obviously rates him, and if anybody can get the best out of Gooch it will be him. OaU

Robertson likes this.
  9. MACKEMLAD1973

MACKEMLAD1973 Well-Known Member

I think Gucci like a few others are enjoying themselves again under LJ.
    I-have just watched the highlights and thought to myself where has this team been hiding. I think we are playing so good now that even newcomers are not being selected from the start. This allowing them to get used to our club.
    Full praise to LJ and all his staff for getting the team playing so well and still in with a slim chance of automatic promotion

10. APC

APC Well-Known Member

I was saying yesterday, aye we've won’t plenty of games since coming down to league 1 but how many times have you seen us so convincing in our ball retention? Some of the passing was really slick, movement off the ball looks like it had been turned up a notch, again I’m going to stay level headed cos it was against bottom of the league, quietly optimistic is the phrase I’m looking for haha

11. MrRAWhite

MrRAWhite Well-Known Member

The truth of the matter is that many Sunderland fans always seem to need a scapegoat to slag off.

Nordic likes this.
  12. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

I remember quite a few series of 4 or 5 games when Marco was really poor but it wasn't a problem ...

... if those had been his first games he may have been written off never to recover.

Settling into any new job is difficult, knowing thousands are watching and judging you must be freaky.

MrRAWhite likes this.