1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Hessle Road and what to do with it

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by springtiger, Jun 7, 2021.

1. springtiger

springtiger Well-Known Member

I’m sure I’m treading dangerously but in my opinion the whole road wants demolishing to except a few pubs and landmark buildings . I’ve been all over this country and Northern Europe and never seen such a single decrepit run down road anywhere and that includes all the ‘ notorious’ areas of this country’s city’s. I don’t mean remove it completely , re build it but the problem is you will build lots of new empty shops - thanks to Amazon etc
    I’m pretty sure if this council got out of its obsession with a past and nostalgia at the expense of a positive future we could change things . My father was in the fishing industry for some years but we must move on . I support and back this city I love the people , the culture the history the city architecture the geography so this is not a dig at the city at all it’s to change perception and primarily to change peoples lives and aspirations .
    And I’m sick of HDM reporting the same crimes time and again you’d think this was the Bronx in the 60’&70’s
    It makes the the people I come across who won’t go into the centre scared to death
    Rant over tin hat to be worn now

tigers1970 likes this.
  2. GEvans76

GEvans76 Well-Known Member

The HDM are experts at putting the City down.
    I stopped reading it online a long time ago for that reason.

dennisboothstash likes this.
  3. Plum

Plum Well-Known Member

Except a few pubs? There are none left hardly!

There's life left in Hessle Road imo. There are a lot of people around that area, if more of them could find jobs that's half the problem solved. There are too many HMO's concentrated in too few areas which creates what people see as 'no-go' areas.

I've heard some people say it's gone downhill because of migrant workers coming in. I'd say the opposite, seems to me migrants are the ones keeping the place alive just now. I'm speaking from a little experience, I was brought up in Hessle Road, my parents lived there pretty much all their life so I visited 4 or 5 times a year and I've seen what's happening to the area. It's not great but I believe it's salvagable.

In terms of HDM-reported crime I'd say there was less in Hessle Road than in other parts of Hull and surrounds.

DarbyDays likes this.
  4. springtiger

springtiger Well-Known Member

Some good points Plum I’d not considered I think there are still lots in f good hardworking people but the HOM’ s are a problem , maybe we tax the owners more - if we can find them !

5. mplooney

mplooney Well-Known Member

Freeman Street in Grimsby is infinitely worse and it's their equivalent of Hessle Road. It's a good warning of what happens when you abandon communities and don't invest in areas of a town or city

6. originalminority

originalminority Well-Known Member

I actually used it the other day to get my daughters old Mini repaired by a garage next to the Wilkos, cheaper than anywhere else in Hull. Its still got some interesting old buildings and fading character, more so than Holderness Road, leave it to decay gracefully.

GlassHalfHull likes this.
  7. TIGERSCAVE

TIGERSCAVE Well-Known Member

You will see Hessle Road in any city that you go to. Garish yellow signage "Polski Mart' etc, As with every city, its the councils responsibility to upgrade any area, but Hessel Road, along with Holderness Road to a lesser extent I think seem to have been forgotten. It does show you what can be done when you look at Princes Avenue and Newland, perhaps even Chants.... I am sure that there are many people on Hessel Road who would never leave irrespective...

Kempton and Newlandcasual2 like this.
  8. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

Hessle.

9. TIGERSCAVE

Slow day...?

10. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

Castro seems to be having a week off, so I thought I'd step in. :emoticon-0140-rofl:

11. tigerscanada

tigerscanada Well-Known Member

Come on OLM, it's bloody 'Essle.:emoticon-0105-wink:

rovertiger likes this.
  12. Donatella Anybody

Donatella Anybody Well-Known Member

Is Rainers still there,now that was a no go area for some in 50s 60s

13. City Man

City Man Well-Known Member

The density of population of the feeder streets has declined dramatically as the clearances have continued over the last half century. Factor in the death of fishing and it's not hard to see the causes. Almost no one lives south of Hessle Road now although a few old businesses remain.

Wish I knew the formula for regen round there.

Anlaby Road, Bev Rd & Spring Bank look similarly shabby, gaudy, tacky and rundown.

Corporation face choice of empty shops (vandalism, arson and no business rates) or units selling cheap tat which at least offer rates.

14. Tickton Tiger.

Tickton Tiger. Well-Known Member

Hessle Road is in a bit of a decline from the days when, along with Holderness Road, it was compared to Blackpool's Golden Mile because of the amount of passing foot trade. I remember both areas well in their heyday, having an uncle who traded on Holderness Road and knowing the legendry Aubrey as a friend and business associate. Both roads attracted the independent traders ( the Del Boy's) who dealt in quick turnover stock and with the crowds of shoppers this was possible and the area flourished. But everything changes, the big factories employing large numbers of people who poured out onto those two roads on payday vanished, and whole streets of houses were demolished and the people moved out to the new estates.
    Coupled with the rise of the huge discount stores like Poundland, B@M, Home Bargains etc etc who moved in the city centres and eventually knackered the town up for the independent traders as they did Hessle Road and Holderness Road before them. Poor planning there and a lack of vision from the council.
    So properties become empty, the rent is reduced and we end up with the situation like we see on Hessle Road, Spring Bank and Beverley Road today. It's a race to the bottom.
    I don't see what can be done to attract the shoppers back to the likes of Hessle Road now, the horse as bolted on that one in a similar way to it has with the city centre as a shopping destination.

askewshair likes this.
  15. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

Poundland, B&M and Home Bargains decide where they open their shops, not HCC.

AlRawdah likes this.
  16. TIGERSCAVE

I think it was his son Elliott I went to school with or knew through friends... ?

Tickton Tiger. likes this.
  17. Tickton Tiger.

Tickton Tiger. Well-Known Member

Obviously, but do you think letting those huge cheapo discount stores not only dominate the city centre ( two of them are opposite each other on Prospect Street) but spread onto the secondary roads too have added to the 'shopping experience' in Hull City centre ?
    Likewise what have Primark done to the independent clothing shops in the city centre ?
    It's a race to the bottom, who can sell the cheapest pair of jeans/kettle/socks or tin of paint ?

18. The B&S Fanclub

The B&S Fanclub Well-Known Member

Say no more.....

19. AlRawdah

AlRawdah Well-Known Member

I don't think the point is that these stores have had no effect on small retailers, they clearly have. It's your insistence on blaming the Council for everything that's wrong with society and the economy that OLM was picking up, I think.

20. askewshair

askewshair Well-Known Member

Rather than feeding Amazon or wasting hours driving into the City Centre, we'll often nip onto 'Essle Road.
    As mentioned earlier, every town has these areas which seem to be slowly dieing with no obvious way back and LA's focussed on trying to save city centres. I was shocked last year when we went to Caernarvon, 50 yards from the castle we stumbled across their equivalent of Whitefriargate. What chance have the small inpendants got these days vs T'internet, and then the B and M's of this world?