1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

heart breaking collapse !

Discussion in 'Wolves' started by abbowolves, Mar 11, 2012.

1. abbowolves

abbowolves New Member

Do you guys think we have enough to get out of the mess were in ? Its gutting to see us go backwards so quickly :(

2. Neilynotquite

Neilynotquite Member

Absolutely no chance I'm afraid. Yesterday we had all the old faults from the McCarthy era with none of the passion and team spirit. The board has done a great job of making a bad situation even worse. There are five very poor teams in the Premier League, and all we need to do is be not as bad as three others, but yesterday we made Blackburn look decent.
    I should think 36 points will be enough, but right now it's difficult to see where we'll get another point.

3. evergold

evergold New Member

I hate to break bad news to you, but Wolves have not gone backwards - or not in terms of so-called quality, technique or effort.

The problem started when we were promoted and Mick bought-in a bucketful of cheaper players (by Prem standards). All bar a couple of these had never played for even one minute in the Premiership. With just a few exceptions (and there are some), Mick continued with this policy through year two and into year three (this year). Several of the players recruited through this time have left Wolves already and most of the rest could be sold off, if buyers could be found, without any loss of quality from the squad.

Mick appeared to be trawling fished-out oyster beds in the hope of finding an elusive black pearl or two on the cheap. It didn't happen. What Mick did do, however, was to create in his motley crew an incredible team spirit, where every player gave 120% every week. This was only just good enough to keep Wolves hanging on in the Premiership. Whilst this may have been laudable on Mick's part, it was also incredibly short-sighted because no squad on earth can ever maintain a 120% performance rate indefinitely. What has happened now is not that Wolves have gone backwards, but that the team has ceased to be able to maintain its level of over-performance. It is now the sum of its parts whereas it had previously been greater than that, for most of the time. What has happened, though, was always inevitable. It was never a question of IF - always just a question of WHEN. That WHEN is NOW.

Don't mourn for Mick. He had a net spend of £41 million in less than three years. Had he spent this on 4 or 5 decent, experienced Prem. performers we may have been OK. But he chose not to. And Morgan and Moxey let him. So no tears for any of the three please. Rank bad management in my book.

Welcome to the Championship.

4. hedgeworth

hedgeworth Active Member
    Forum Moderator

I agree with you on a lot of that evergold, but don't forget you can only buy players that the board are willing to pay.

The transfer fee is only a % of the overall cost with term of contract and salary usually working out more than the transfer fee.

We have lost out on so many players that Mick wanted who have turned out good at other teams, but the problem being that the other club were offering 40k a week wages and we were offering 25k.

We lost out on Roger Johnson first time round due to this and pretty sure that in today's football if you cap your salaries then you will only be getting left over players.

5. Cruyff's Turn

Cruyff's Turn Well-Known Member

Like we have at Norwich you mean? My feelings are that the two clubs who sacked their managers have done worse than the three who stuck with the ones they had.One chink of light though,you are at ours next and I have a sneaking feeling you will get a result.