1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

He’s gone

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by AshtonRed, Jul 4, 2020.

1. Loathsneyd

Loathsneyd Well-Known Member

I hope not. If people thought Johnsons football was sterile Hughtons brand of football is probably worse

RedorDead likes this.
  2. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

i hope it is another up and coming manager .MAYBE GIVE DEANHOLDEN THE JOB!

3. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

yawn

4. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

And one of the biggest problems Johnson encountered was he was dealing with a lot of international players and up until last Wednesday it was always the players that got the blame and in a very public way.

The players lost respect for him and it showed big style and when you are a manager who 'never' makes a mistake eventually it will end in 'who are ya and what have you done', unless we find an Alex Ferguson then we need somebody who knows how to get teams out of this division and when hit a bad patch still has the respect of the players because he has done it as a player and a manager, somebody who can handle big players, not another cheap option, I for one am fed up with cheap options.

manxrobin and Redprintt like this.
  5. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

I would like to hope that post was tongue in cheek, we have been there and done it too many times, Holden is part of the problem and not the solution.

Redprintt likes this.
  6. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

People won't care if it yields success, as I said before we are Bristol City and not Barcelona.

7. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

Shhh JGF - don’t let the truth ruin his party - he’s the happiest he’s been since we were in League 1 <laugh>

8. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

For me it’s less of a ‘brand’ or ‘style’ - it’s about deploying your resources effectively in order to win games.
    We have some decent players in our squad and for whatever reason LJ wasn’t playing them right. Afobe on the left is the obvious example for me, but there have been others.
    Now he’s gone I just hope we employ a manager who can get the best from the squad.
    Of course, we could go though a succession of ‘duds’ and end up back in League 1 like we did the last time a Johnson left........... let’s hope not.

9. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

That is why we need somebody who the players can fully respect and not some cheap option from the lower leagues, we have done that and now we need something different, as I said about the danger of keeping Johnson on for next season, would impact on crowd size, a crowd size at a decent 20,000, I think an appointment viewed as unambitious YET again would have the same impact, I really hope that they are not going for Lowe, that would not inspire me in the slightest and I suspect a lot of other fans at AG, who actually invest a lot of money to watch games would think the same.

10. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

Who is Ryan Lowe?

11. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

Houghton is a good manager.
    He was my preferred candidate for cardiff when colin left.
    Cant complain with Harris though to be fair.

12. Loathsneyd

Loathsneyd Well-Known Member

Plymouth manager got them (and Bury the season before) promoted from League 2.

Redprintt likes this.
  13. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

So you will take mundane football just to get promoted?
    Hughton does get teams up, but then apart from Brighton gets sacked in the first season.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
  14. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

no not TIC, stated back then "we can learn from the Barnsley model" problem was heckingbottom grabbed the honours left on the plate and thought he was superior... so ……
    Lee will get another job he has ideas and methods that other clubs are copying[ trying to ] like corona .. he was a different way … and the end result is not known … like corona morphing constantly, but no one knows how each section takes or the pifalls that might present themselves … if we get 15 points and top 6 [ against lesser opposition than to date ] who gets the credit!!!! …. many on here has stated the season is 46 games not groups of 5 8 10 or whatever its what is on the board at full time after game 46 ………..

15. AshtonRed

AshtonRed Well-Known Member

Sorry , nothing justifies vitriol & some gave it from the beginning, it says more about the person giving it than the one it’s aimed at.

16. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

What are you talking about the Barnsley model? LJ came from Oldham so was not part of any previous set up. And Heckingbottom took over then left. To be followed by Paul Harsley as caretaker for one month till they appointed José Morais. There was no succession of promoting from within?

17. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

IF again?.

18. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

Be sure to pass this onto Trump and Boris.

19. AshtonRed

AshtonRed Well-Known Member

I wasn’t aware they had an opinion on LJ

johngalleyfan2 likes this.
  20. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

It is possible that he has the skill to adapt. Another pragmatist was Steve Cotterill but his Cheltenham made his Bristol City side look like they were playing total football in contrast.

It is a valid point. What is it your aspiring to be? Dull and pragmatic or something else. The Championship has demonstrated frequently conservative direct football is anything but necessary to gain promotion.