1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Hazard as striker ............ really?

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Chelsea Pensioner, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Chelsea Pensioner

Chelsea Pensioner Well-Known Member

I thought Hazard was among our least effective players vs City. Don't recall him ever getting clear on goal, or positioning himself for a pass to get behind defenders, in fact he was as ineffective a striker as Morata from my seat.
    Watched the replay after reading that Sarri thought him a big success and intends to repeat the tactic.
    Hazard was, as always, dangerous in his probing and darting around the box, he was there for some runs from further out from goal, but didn't look like a strikers' bootstraps to me.
    I think his pass to Kante was as much hopeful as it was brilliant, and his general game ,whilst showing more effort ,was still darting around a wall of defenders with little success of actually breaking clear.
    He just doesn't suit the role of striker for me.
    In fact my initial sense was " why are we now playing our TWO best players out of position !!!!!!!!!"
    Kante had his best match especially 2nd half when we went 4 - 2 -3 -1 with Kante alongside Jorghino ,not in front, which sort of suggests that's where he should stay, with RLC ( for mine) being the forward of the midfielders.
    However, what are your thoughts on Hazard the striker??

2. Naas Blue

Naas Blue Well-Known Member

Agree 100%. Playing our 2 best players out of position is crazy. As regards Hazard we all know he is going at the end of this season. Reports yesterday are saying that P.S.G. are throwing their hat into the ring joining Real and Juventus. Bidding between those 3 should bring in serious money. We can only hope it's spent well.

3. BobbyD

BobbyD President

Maybe hes trying to recreate mertens at napoli which was a raging success. Didnt see the match too much but it sounds from you boys he didnt do to much. Under conte he was terrible as a centre forward.

In a more possession based side im not too sure. One thing is centre forwards dont get to touch the ball much and hes someone who loves to get on the ball.

Do i like him left wing? Not me personally. Hes wondering around too much and slows our play down too much (only person with magic dribbling skills). Would prefer him to get it further forward personally without any of the tracking back duties. Happy for him to be cf if it means pedro and willian are on the wings

Personally would just prefer him to be in the hole in a 4 2 3 1 formation.

4. The Ginger Marks

That’s great news for the club as it will no doubt go to a bidding war as the super rich hike up the price. With regard to the Hazard comment from the other poster, I have to somewhat disagree. Hazard although disappointing drew defenders away from others and showed great vision for the pass to Kante for the first goal.

Blueman likes this.
  5. Chelsea Pensioner

Seems the Hazard saga knows no end, will he, won't he.........
    Have to say, I honestly believe his exceptional games are becoming rarer, and though he is definitely world class, I'd swap him in a heart beat for Neymar, Mbape, Messi or even Ronaldo players who influence results game after game.
    Those guys do it every week, Hazard far less often.
    I'd love him to stay, but if he wants to go, do it ASAP as he's not getting better, younger, faster or fitter, and especially bigger or more powerful.
    I have watched the pass to Kante heaps of times and am more than ever convinced it was a hit and hope.Not at all sure there was much vision, but who cares? He made the pass and Kante scored. That's good work by both.
    I am sure you see it differently, but that's what is interesting about football, and we can agree to disagree.

6. BobbyD

BobbyD President

I actually think the intended target may have been pedro who didnt read it and run forward. Lucky out little road runner kante got it.

If hazard goes it wont be the end of the world. We have replaced players like him before but we will need to work even harder as a team. We do need some new wide players though.

Willian is fairly decent but not a world beater and pedro is 34. Hopefully hudson gets his opportunity.

7. CFC: Champs £launderx17

You must be pleased that RLC was used at a critical stage of a big game.

Is the City match his breakthrough?

8. Chelsea Pensioner

You know, I am actually not suggesting RLC is THE answer to our midfield problems, only that he needed the same opportunities as Barkley got, an extended run with the 1st eleven. Now he's had some time, he has improved out of sight, meaning Sarri now has a fit and inform Midfielder to use as he sees fit. My banging on about the "kids" is more of the same. Hudson Odoi will improve faster and better with our 1st eleven than he will with say Stoke or Newcastle. Christensen needs to play with either Rudiger or Luiz to get his mojo back. That way more positions will have a prime back up as the games increase and legs tire.
    That said, I am pleased for RLC and think his form just now deserves a start.
    Then there's Michy, Tammy .......................

9. BobbyD

BobbyD President

He's a forward thinking player. Not sure hes done anything spectacular bar that hat trick game and the 2nd goal against fulham. Tbf half the time its because he gets ignored and everyone passes to hazard. Personally would prefer kante on the left and rlc on the right so he doesnt need to track back as much.

What do i know though must be a reason sarri overloads the left side with attacking talent and the right side with defensive talent

No to tammy. More physical than morata but his first touch is even worse. Wouldnt mind michy back

10. CFC: Champs £launderx17

He was great on Saturday and is only playing there because Morata is shyte

11. Chelsea Pensioner

True enough, though he faded 2nd half as did our midfield.
    Choice of striker is crucial, as the "one up front" types don't seem to be right for Sarri. Surprised the likes of Lukaku are being mentioned, I'd be looking for a Suarez type of player. Maybe Hazard can be that, Sarri did convert Mertens, but he'll need a much smoother running midfield than we currently are.

12. CFC: Champs £launderx17

Teams and players rarely play a perfect 90 mins.

Once or twice a season.

Sport is good because of this: human imperfections

13. Chelsea Pensioner

Not only in Sport !!!!!!!

14. chelsea - over 100 years of history

I get generally what CP is saying though, we do tend to be playing 1 good half, one average/bad half at the moment. Spurs the exception. That was 2 halves of utter ****e.

15. CFC: Champs £launderx17

Thought Hazard was brilliant as false 9 again tonight but we can’t expect him to lead the line all
    Season.

Higuain?

The Ginger Marks and BobbyD like this.
  16. Chelsea Pensioner

My bloody internet went out and came back on an hour after the match ended.Only way to watch EPL here is to stream.
    Listened on radio and Hazard seemed to be really good. Commentators on Chelsea TV (which is not streamed) were saying though that we really do need a striker and that Dave and Alonso seemed loath to swing in crosses due to Hazards lack of height.
    Higuan looks Sarri' favourite, but maybe if he sorts the midfield, Hazard could well do a Mertens and turn into a proper striker.
    Perhaps we should look ay bringing back Michy or Tammy if we don't get the right bloke in January?

17. BobbyD

BobbyD President

Tbh alonso rarely put in crosses anyway whenever i watchd and giroud and morata are in there. Willian and hazard rarely put them in. Its really kante and dave who like to cross a lot.

18. Chelsea Pensioner

This is written after a bottle and a half of excellent Rose de Provence. It's 30C here, crystal skies, Indian batsmen running amok, and 3 days of heat to come.
    They say there is truth in wine, and this is how I truthfully feel right now.
    Watched the replay, and thought we were a big improvement on last game. More energy and effort all round. Willian looked very good and apart from bad marking for Watfords' goal, we were well in charge. Rudiger had a shocker, but everyone does sometimes and he's been great most of the season.
    Luiz, for all the criticism, is by far the best passer and the most creative player we have.
    What a pity he was not converted to a proper midfielder by a succession of gutless ,negative managers. Luiz sees and starts more forward runs than Jorghino could do in in 10 lifetimes, He is exactly what we have needed in midfield for 4 years, but is now in his twilight as a PL player.
    Hazard took his first goal really well and then hit a perfect penalty. We could have scored another couple, and actually should have, oh what a decent striker could do with those half chances.
    Looking forward to what January might bring, hoping we make no short gap signings like Giroud, who is OK, but no way to plan for the future. Jamie Vardy is still lethal and would be great as a 2 year settler. Far better than Higuan ,who couldn't hit a bull in the arse with a bag of wheat anymore.
    We need to get Hudson Odoi and RLC settled and signed ASAP, as both are rumoured to be looking for a move for more game time, RLC on loan apparently. Why does Sarri not play him as first choice ? He's light years better than Kovacic, who's not much more than a solid plodder by comparison, or Barkley who's just a dud, and Kante ,who should leave for a club who appreciates his talent.
    Sarri has everything arse about face and is building our team around the wrong players. Jorghino is not what he was at Napoli and never will be, because he doesn't like it "up 'im" , and can't handle the toughness or speed of PL. He's been found out big time, and hasn't been able to cope.
    Until Sarri accepts that Napoli Mark 2 won't happen with these players in the PL, we are kidding ourselves, and wasting our best talent.
    HDO is seeing interest from Dortmund and Bayern and refusing a contract extension. Good move kid. Seeing how other UK juniors are flying in the Bundesliga, he would be crazy to stay with us in my opinion, and may well be a Dortmund player by seasons end. Only game time will keep him at Chelsea but he get's bugger all in our set up. We never learn that if kids' are good enough, they must play, and he's more than good enough.
    Starting to understand why Sarri has won nothing. He takes teams to the brink, but his stuborness and inflexibility, ultimately wrecks his chances of going any further.

Right, time to down the last half bottle and stop prattling on.
    My novel will be out in March, until then you have to deal with these long winded, grape fuelled ramblings, all well intentioned and hopefully non offensive !!

Happy New Year to all.
    CP
    PS Jorghino has not made a single assist for goal all year and scored only once and then from a penalty.
    No wonder our midfield is useless.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
    BobbyD likes this.
  19. BobbyD

BobbyD President

Going to have to disagree with some points cp but here we go:

We tried to put luiz cm in the past and i just dont think it works. I agree hes brilliant as spotting a pass but only when he has time on the ball. He doesnt get that time in midfield.

Totally agree rlc needs to be starting more. One of our few players who has strength and the ability to do something special. If not .For kovacic who has bags of energy then for willian or pedro on the wing (one of my fave players but is getting old)

I still dont like kante at cm

We need to blood hudson. Although his performance against watford was pretty disappointing.

Jorginho has been okay. I do expect more but i dont think sarri sees his job as an assister assister or goalscorer (he has played some nice long passes) but he should be doing a lot more. He isnt up to the physicality or maybe hes tired but some players tend to take a while to adjust so i will give him the benefit of the doubt.

20. Bullet tooth Tony

Bullet tooth Tony Well-Known Member

I think Kante is better in the position than Jorginho is but it will take some doing to convince Sarri. Could they play together centrally one in front of the other and alternate. If Jorginho did the in behind the front line bit his passing would be more effective and Kante Mopping up would be just what the doctor ordered methinks. I aint gonna hold my breath though. RLC is the best option to do this with Kante as his talent could shine given the opportunity. ps. Don't sack Sarri yet. he is still the manager of my dreamteam.