1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Hawkes

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Teessidemackem, Apr 22, 2021.

1. Teessidemackem

Teessidemackem Well-Known Member

2. Wolfy

Wolfy Well-Known Member

Just like Dan Neil, won’t be given a sniff.

3. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

TopCat_ and Teessidemackem like this.
  4. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

as clocky says mate one of our better young stars, and it's a crying shame he is not given a chance considering the injuries we have, why play square pegs in round holes give the lads a chance ,we used to have a history of bring lads through, recently Maja and Pickford ring out.

5. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

The strange thing is that when they do get a chance they do pretty well then they're never seen again. I can understand it when they're not ready but Neil has looked decent to me when he's played, ditto Younger.

I guess next season when he's got a better squad with less pressure he'll look at integrating them.

6. Billy Batts

Billy Batts Well-Known Member

Younger has to play at the weekend for me. Thought Johnson wasn't afraid to play the youngsters, well that was one of his mantras when he took the job. Yet to see real evidence of that.

7. TopCat_

TopCat_ Well-Known Member

Nothing to lose. Frees up Power or O'Nien to move into midfield
    Johnson's team selection is frustrating me at the mo

8. The Exile II

The Exile II Well-Known Member

If we can get a steady stream of kids coming through then it can the difference between having to buy a full team and buying three or four in the event of promotion. Get them playing and get them learning.

9. Bank of England 2

Bank of England 2 Well-Known Member

I thought that was KLD's philosophy too. Long term plan - Invest in the Academy - Bring the youngsters through.

I appreciate it's a balancing act, but the most frustrating thing for me has been LJ saying that he can't wait to get 09 and Power back into midfield. Well Lee, put Younger in and either move 09 to RB and Power into midfield, or move 09 into midfield. I thought Younger played well at RB in his last run out with the first team. That would free up Power to go into midfield too.

All our creativity comes from the flanks. Unlike Scowen and Winchester, Neil can play the slide rule pass, but has had very little opportunity to show what he can do.

I hope if automatic promotion is not possible and a play off spot is secured, that he will blood a few of the youngsters, including Hawkes, and give some of the old guard a break.

10. rooch 3

rooch 3 Well-Known Member

Aye a permanent break with a bit of luck.

11. Bank of England 2

I agree, but we'll have to wait until the summer for that. Big changes.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  12. rooch 3

rooch 3 Well-Known Member

I actually think it’s brilliant mate can’t wait, very exciting times ahead <cheers>

13. FellTop

FellTop Well-Known Member

I said on another thread with no reserves football it is harder to promote young lads as the gap between u23 and first team is massive. The pathway is much much tougher than it used to be.

LJ is right to point out the physical side of the game for youngsters. They do need to be able to look after themselves on the pitch. I am surprised Younger hasnt had another chance because he has the physicality, so there must be something else the coaching team think needs to be improved.

I have seen Hawkes a couple of times and he looks a good prospect. I would love to see him get a chance next season, along with a couple of others. We had to take a lot of new lads in this year due to the season the u23s had last time and I am hoping a year of coaching will see some of them make the squad next year.

Bank of England 2 and RTB like this.
  14. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

Is their any evidence of this, or is that just another assumption to fit your philosophy. My worry is that players like Younger will be shown the door while players like McFuz etc will be retained because of this scientific claptrap spouted by technos.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  15. Billy Batts

Billy Batts Well-Known Member

Well said.

16. Bank of England 2

It really is something to look forward to mate. It'll be a really busy summer, similar to the back end of the transfer window after Keano took over.

It will be even more exciting if we're looking forward to the Championship fixtures coming out.