1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Having to say goodbye to a favourite shirt

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by cumbrianmackem, Mar 31, 2021.

1. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

I know it's bonkers but I've had to bin a shirt I've had for years, it was only £6 from Asda but it was comfortable and easy to wear.
    The collars been fraying for ages and I've been able to hide it under big coats and scarves during the Winter but the nicer weather has been it's doom.
    Anybody else grieving over a favourite item long gone.

2. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

We're moving house soon and the wife is making me have a big clear out. She loves order and organisation. I, on the other hand, attach importance to everything I've ever owned. My ideal home would be that of some mad Victorian collector with weird stuff everywhere. So, yeah, I'm mourning the loss of pretty much everything I've ever owned <laugh>

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
  3. Ozzymac

Ozzymac Well-Known Member

I had an old ugly long sleeved orange shirt. I had to rescue it from the bin about 5 times before my wife gave up <cheers>

4. E.T. Fairfax

E.T. Fairfax Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

Cant find this one. Been missing for ages, wife probably chucked it out.

Had this as well. Spilt a blob of curry right on his nose. Red wouldnt come off. I think it enhanced the image. My wife disagreed and chucked it out.

Also a factory records t-shirt with this on the front.

5. SAFCDRUM

SAFCDRUM Well-Known Member

Every sympathy mate. Whenever I set myself for a clear out there's always a number of polo shirts I cant throw away even though they are barely used.

6. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

They sell shirts in Asda? Wowza.

cumbrianmackem likes this.
  7. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

The wife often let's me splash out on new clothes, she's good like that.<laugh>

Nads likes this.
  8. Gordon Armstrong

Gordon Armstrong Just another S.A.F.C. fan
    Forum Moderator

I've had a few Sunderland shirts over many years that have been 'hard to let go' but with motifs and sponsor letters eventually becoming somewhat detached (if not totally) they've had to go . . . . I've always bought every strip, and it's been a bugger getting rid of them :undecided:

I once had a pair of trainers for over 20 years, which were knackered but they were mine, before they eventually died and were hoyed in the bin by Mrs. A. for the umpteenth and last time !

Lately I've had/got a different problem . . . . 15 months ago (Sunday December 29th, 2019) I played football for the last time, I think, after I'd been playing twice weekly as well as going out on my bike on Saturday's when the weather was okay, when I tore my fascia (during the game . . . I heard the 'snap') :emoticon-0101-sadsm

My 'different' problem is that from doing lots of exercise at that time, and for decades, I am doing virtually now't (just cycling once a week, weather permitting) and I've put on more than a stone, which has resulted in developing a pot that I've never ever had, being so active in the past, and I hate it :(

Consequently, a few of my nice 'going out' t-shirts don't fit like they should and I can't wear them. I refuse to hoy them, though, 'cos I'm ever hopeful/stupid in thinking that I'll lose the pot in the near future and be able to wear them again :emoticon-0148-yes:

My team seems to have come through a very bad period, so maybe I will, too :emoticon-0100-smile

Sandy Camel and Blond Bombshell like this.
  9. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Gordon,

There’s a fitness by Nike ‘Nike Training Club’, it’s completely free and absolutely brilliant.

You can choose your level and intensity, most are 10-20 minute sessions and all are very easy to follow.

I’m big on keeping in shape, I use that app at home all the time and it’s fantastic.

There are options with no equipment needed so anyone can dive straight in, it’s better than some apps that would ask for £20 plus subscription each month.

10. Ozzymac

Ozzymac Well-Known Member

I can relate to you Gordon.

When i was at my peak fitness i was 89kg's (I was 86 at 16) and when i stopped playing football i ballooned up to 126. Managed to get myself back down to 100 over a couple of years and stayed there for a while.

On my 39th birthday i had got down to 87kg and then over the next few years had 7 knee ops meaning that i can't run and even cycling is an issue. My only exercise now is golf once a week and i'm now at 105kg's (I drink too much).

That being said i can't bring myself to through out the clothes that i bought when i was 87-90 kg's as one day i hope to fit back into them. Doesn't help that the wifes a great cook either.

Blond Bombshell likes this.

11. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Once they're chucked they're chucked and I probably won't give it a second thought, but some of the stuff I've held on to is ridiculous. I had a cheapo T-shirt from Primark that I wore for working out and whatnot and I'd estimate about 20% of the cloth had disappeared by the time it went in the bin, there were patches missing all over it was barely held together.

I had a pair of shorts that needed repairing on a regular basis, I did all the sewing myself despite not having a clue what I was doing.

I've got loads of nice gear but some stuff just strikes that soft spot doesn't it.

12. Gordon Armstrong

Gordon Armstrong Just another S.A.F.C. fan
    Forum Moderator

Cheers, Buster (Nads) . . . . is the app available for an android 'phone ?

13. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Aye mate, universal.

Was recommended to me start of first lockdown and even when we back to normal I’ll still use it twice a week.

You don’t feel like you’ve pushed yourself but they are so targeted the results are excellent.

Gordon Armstrong likes this.
  14. Vincemac

Vincemac Well-Known Member

I have a pair of kickers shorts
    Had them 26 years and take them on holiday
    They still look good but but the seat is going thin
    I think that’s it for them now maybe the end of them this year

cumbrianmackem likes this.
  15. farnboromackem

farnboromackem Well-Known Member

Bought two Ben Sherman tops from a shop called Edgar Jerome in Aldershot in 1992. One is still going strong and the missus binned the other during lockdown...without me knowing :emoticon-0121-angry. Mind you, the collar was frayed but reckon I could of made a Granda shirt out of it.

@Gordon Armstrong

Ever tried Zwift? Turbo trainer and £12.99 subscription a month needed. During the ****ty weather I'm on that. Races, community rides or just a quick half hour around the virtual world of Watopia by yourself. Its excellent and highly recommended

16. Disco down under

Disco down under Well-Known Member

Used to have a t-shirt that said "HATE THATCHER" on it.

Liked that.

Snaggey and farnboromackem like this.
  17. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

She knocked you back in Anabels didn’t she <laugh>

(clearly I’m aware she was the world biggest ****, for clarity)

Disco down under likes this.
  18. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

A favourite item now lost, was my 3/4 length tweed Bavarian hunting jacket, once reputedly belonging to Hermann Goering, cream and brown chevroned herring bone with a 4 inch bright red windowpane check, how Herman stalked anything wearing this I will never know. It did cause a stir tho', and non other than Marcus (Price that is) was interested in just where I had got it from, I told him I'd picked it up in Shields Market. <whistle>

19. Snaggey

Snaggey Well-Known Member

I had a mug with "I still hate Thatcher" on, i got told at work it was "inappropriate ".
    My Father in law used to love stuff like that, an ex miner, he hated her.....
    20210401_215438.jpg

20. Nig

Nig Well-Known Member

I hated the gold shirt but regret getting rid.
    It was massive, (did we all buy shirts too big then? )
    Gave me lad an old vaux shirt,
    Too small now lol but a classic.
    Kept one shirt, roker park commemorative.
    That'll do me.