1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Have we missed a trick?

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by yogi2409, Jul 13, 2011.

1. yogi2409

yogi2409 Member

Roger Johnson, Jay Bothroyd, John Arne Riise, even Paul Konchesky. Id have taken all of the above, however am i just being a little spoilt considering our transfer activity this close season?

In my opinion we are in dire need of a left footed left back to give us genuine balance and both are consistent proven premier league starters if not world beaters which could have been purchased on the cheap. Bothroyd may have been a bit tougher to convince to join us as he may be after 1st team football however Roger Johnson would have been a perfect fit in my opinion.

2. InBruceWeTrusted

Riise I feel is a player we may have missed out on but no not on any of the others.

Johnson is a good signing for Wolves along with O'hara. I expect Wolves to comfortably finish mid table next season after these 2 quality additions.

3. MrRAWhite

MrRAWhite Well-Known Member

I don't think we are capable of buying every decent player that is available. On the whole I think we have done pretty well in comparison to most of our rivals.

4. bobgee

bobgee Member

I don't see why some people consider a new left back to be a priority. O'Shea can play anywhere along the back four if needed and Bardsley was our player of the season just gone.

5. Billy Death

Billy Death Guest

Bothroyd has gone to QPR.

It's on Black Cats News.

6. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

I agree, these are 2 superb signings, and would have been for a much stronger club than Wolves, 3rd year up for them, and time to start adding quality, good luck to them, good club and fans.

I agree with all on Riise, he would have been a superb signing for us.

7. yogi2409

yogi2409 Member

I know O'Shea can play anywhere across the back 4, Anton's played left back before, so has Richardson, obviously Bardsley played there the majority of last season. My point was none of the above are left backs, theyre stop gaps. Id expect this season if we dont find a replacement left back to see lots of opposing right backs showing bardinho onto his left foot after a couple of his long rangers last season. In my opinion Bardlsey got got player of the year for his committment, never say die attitude and work rate which would not be altered by moving him back to his favoured position of right back following losing Ned back to Man City.

8. yogi2409

yogi2409 Member

Aye theyve all confirmed moves today mate, hence the post!

To be honest wudov like Bothroyd as maybe a 3rd/4th choice striker prior to us signing the future of the Korean football however think we're more likely to be in the market 4a marquee signing to play upfront with Gyan rather then another backup. Tho if we sign "he who shall not be named" id say we wudnt strengthen up front anymore as Sess would be pushed further forward, especially judging by Bruceys recent comments.

9. andersonhurleymcnab

I think Bruce will be 'spent up'. Next signings will be loans?

10. andersonhurleymcnab

I should have said also that I think the 'marquee' signing will have been Wickham.........

11. yogi2409

yogi2409 Member

Think it will depend on if we can shift Steeeeeed and Flash and if we do what we get in return. Obviously think every1 would be delighted to have Welbeck back but if not it will be interesting to see who plays up front with Gyan in our 1st home game (expecting a 4-5-1 against liverpool with Sess in the hole to the rear of gyan so to speak!)

To be honest i hope Wickham is integrated into the team gradually, id be a bit worried if he was expected to be a 30-40game/10-15goal starter immediately. Lot of pressure for the lad especially with new team/area/division to cope with.

12. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Disagree completely - I think Bardsley was an excellent left back last season - it may not be his first position but he's been the best we've had player there for a few season IMO. Bardsley, for me, is 1st choice left back yogi - you cannot complain about his getting forward or his defending as he scored goals and put some good crosses into the box last season so I don't see the issue with him playing left back. If he doesn't play left back then I don't see him playing in the season coming up (RB will be Brown or O'Shea with the other of these 2 in the centre alongside Bramble I think)

13. Not_cricket

Not_cricket Active Member

If you are right footed and playing left back then you are turning the player away from where he wants to go to cross the ball

14. yogi2409

yogi2409 Member

Thats fair enough mate, not here to agree but discuss. Personally I must have missed the good crosses he put in last season, however i did notice the amount of times he cut inside into traffic due to being more comfortable on his right. Yeah i totally agree hes the best left back we've had in years, tho id say due to competition and our recent history at left back if i played there next season id be the 2nd best left back we've had in years! Like i said before mate hes one of my favourite players and no i dont argue in the slightest about his willingness to get forward or his defending i just think he could be even more effective in his natural position as id much prefer him at right back over Brown or O'Shea.

15. InBruceWeTrusted

This is only acceptable if we have a natural left winger other wise its bye bye left flank for another season.

16. yogi2409

yogi2409 Member

This.

17. blackcatsteve

blackcatsteve Well-Known Member

if he has then there is something seriously wrong imo, 20 million for Bent 20 million for Henderson, 25 million + profit since Bruce was appointed, outlay about 20 million this transfer window. (and it may not even be that much)

I still think we will get another 1 and maybe 2 players, OK Short cant just put 50-100 million in, but for me, if we want to fill the stadium, and get into Europe (or at least challenge) he needs to put some cash in, 10-20 million i would say for transfers.

I cant think of any manager/team that has spent less than he has brought in and finished in the top 5-6 in the league in recent times, maybe Man U with the sale of Ronaldo for 80 million, but even then they have spent big in the past and recently.

18. Paperback Ruiter

Paperback Ruiter Well-Known Member

as much as i rate Riise i think its only because of his liverpool days, he didnt excel for Roma and if he was still the same player as he was when at liverpool i think one of the bigger teams would have tried for him.