1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Hartlepool At Home - Easter Monday

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Welsh Saint, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Welsh Saint

Welsh Saint Well-Known Member

My in-laws bought me tickets for my birthday to see the mighty Saints at St Mary's for the first time. I know this game is a long way off and a lot could happen between now and then, but do you think that may be the game that clinches promotion for us? The more I look into what I think may happen with Huddersfield and Posh dropping a few points, the more I think I may be one of the lucky ones to witness our promotion first hand. What do you think?

2. Champ Kind: Sports

If Hartlepool is the game that gets us promoted I'll be ecstatic, but I think it's a bit too soon for a couple of reasons.
    1) This is Saints, when has it ever been easy? I fully expect it to still be in the balance 80 mins into the Walsall game with us down to 10 men (Stern John, anyone?)
    2) I just posted that I reckon we need 4 wins to go up. 15 points is a guaranteed promotion, but Huddersfield could well drop points in their tough last 5.

3. Matt-SFC

Matt-SFC Member

I think it is a bit early for us to be promoted. We would have to win the next 4 games (which includes Brighton away) and hope Huddersfield and Peterborough drop points in their next few games. I personally think it will be very close until the end of the season.

4. SwindonSaint

SwindonSaint Member

If Huddersfield win at Brighton, then I'll start worrying! I think they'll lose that game meaning Saints need 4 wins from 7 games. Intense.

5. cdvdtz

cdvdtz Member

Can see it being Plymouth away at the earliest , if not then the Walsall game (hopefully). Would be nice going into the Walsall game with at least a 2 point cushion meaning a draw would do (assuming we maintain our superior goal difference).

6. North Hants Saint

North Hants Saint Active Member

I very much doubt we'll win promotion that game ...if we do, it will most likely be away at Plymouth or the Walsall last game , depending on Huddersfield's results.

7. saintluke94

saintluke94 Member

Personally i think the promotion race will go to the wire and the earliest i can see us guaranteeing promotion is plymouth away, however i beleive for us to have the best chance possible of going up we need to take one game at a time so my focus is on rochdale tomorrow night where a draw is the minmum required no matter how difficult it will be.

8. Welsh Saint

Welsh Saint Well-Known Member

Fair enough, thanks for the replies. I'll keep on hoping for the miracle of an early, stress-free, promotion against Hartlepool anyway...I'll let the heart rule the head for a little longer...hope the Saints don't make me eat my words!!!

9. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Stop doubting Adkins' Saints..they are tougher than the old Saints. I reckon it will be decided at Plymouth with a great game at SMS against Walsall.

10. Skamer

Skamer New Member

Totally agree with this, MK Dons is a shining example. Saints of old would have gone home at 0-2 down but after an inspired substitution from Adkins we went on to get the three points.
    For what it's worth I think it will come down to the Walsall match as well, its not only the teams facing promotion we have to play but teams fighting relegation. As the gaffer says it's in our hands.
    COYR