1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Harry now has a chance to be an example to Moddy and Bale!

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Hoddle is a god, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Having watch the press interview with Harry today, I genuinely believe that he remains truly undecided as to whether or not he would take the job, if it was offered to him.

2. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

I see what you're saying. But consider The Wally with the Brolly, Graham Taylor, etc. Not much honour attached to them. The tabloid press are still on their backs, even after all these years. I'm sure Harry would do a far better job than either of them, but even he can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

3. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think that he's being honest about it.
    He'd like to manage England, but he doesn't want to burn his bridges at Spurs, either.
    Fair enough.

4. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

I'd agree, and I've already said on another thread that I don't believe Harry has decided yet. However, if they make the offer, he will have to make a decision then. I just think the whole job is a thankless task.

5. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

I agree NSIS, but Redknapp's ambitious and he'd probably prefer to have tried and failed then to have passed up the opportunity.
    He can basically have a free go with the upcoming tournament and then start again from scratch, as the old guard will be on the way out.

6. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

IF both Spurs and the FA agree to him being manager just for the Euros, I think he would, and maybe should, accept that. However, old guard- new guard- whatever, we just aren't good enough to win a major tournament at the moment. Harry would inevitably, eventually,get the blame for any failure - like all previous managers. I think it's a lose-lose situation. If the potential was there, I might feel differently. But, it isn't!

7. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

The potential's there for anyone in the tournament, NSIS.
    Greece and Denmark, who initially failed to qualify, winning the Euros proved that.

Would England be favourites? Hell no.
    Would many neutrals have had us in third at this stage of the season, though? I'd suggest not.
    It would be very difficult and only a brave man would bet against Spain, but football's a strange and unpredictable game.
    That's why we love it.

8. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

I just have a hunch he'll say no. It's come too early for him because of Capello's resignation. As he said it was a shock and reading between those lines. He was thinking finish the season leave Spurs on a high and take the England job. Now what is it, a temp job for someone then Harry after the Euro's or the other way round. I think as he has said he would not like to leave Spurs at this point.

If the FA really want him they will have to find a way to accommodate his wishes. Stuart Pearce is there ready to do the job through the Euro's presumably but would he want to do it as a stop gap for Harry?

Too many variables to think the outcome is by any means a forgone conclusion.

9. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Seeings as some of the FA have got the knives out for Capello less than 48 hours after he resigned, that's another reason he should not be tempted - their jobs are never in question, they're safe from a spot in the national coconut shy no matter how bad things are, yet they're the ones who urgently need to be replaced.

I can't see how any self-respecting manager would want to report to those ****ehawks - although I'm assuming the salaries of Sven and Capello served as a form of compensation for having the put up with them for several years.

10. notsosmartspur

notsosmartspur Well-Known Member

What we want to hear is for him to rule himself out. In my thread today the quote he made about Englands last WC and its prospects wasn't good, today I've heard him say the same thing, its difficult and no-ones got a magic wand. Are friendlies, those games Rio and Rooney don't want to play in, (usually picking up knocks just before! <whistle>, the right games to prepare a new team/manager before a tourny?....I don't think so.

11. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Friendlies are largely pointless as a bedding in test now.
    Any international manager with any sense should use them to experiment, as they won't be able to select their strongest XI anyway.

12. humanbeingincroydon

Brazil have used them as a money spinning exercise for years now, notably when charging fees to the African nations they visited ahead of the last World Cup that practically bankrupted their respective FAs - Spain have also started doing this in the last six months, although they usually phone in their performances.

13. notsosmartspur

14. humanbeingincroydon

Given that Ince never publicly brought the subject up when the pair of them were playing, what's the point of The Sun dredging this up now? Do they think getting Pearce the sack will make it less likely Holland will play and/or kick England off the pitch in the friendly?

There's also the fact that the article says that Pearce apologised - something Terry or Suarez haven't done...

15. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

Greece and Denmark must have had more potential than anyone realised. They were probably completely underestimated by everybody else.I don't think that's the case with England.

16. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

Times change; young people today are overwhelmingly colour blind in their interaction with other humans. The British have largely been educated to a more civilised attitude, not least by the immigrants themselves. My parents generation was different altogether, my mum for example was often pulled up by me for making racist remarks. These were innocent enough, she never behaved in a racist manner to any individual but it could of course be very damaging if made in public (they weren't).

My aunt who also would say things that sounded racist, went to South Africa to stay with her sister (who had black servants) was appalled with her sisters attitude towards these people. While there she cooked meals for the servants because she was so upset at how they were fed. She came back 'educated' and never made a racist remark in her life again.

So, as I say, times change and in this case for the better but we should have some understanding when we look back, that lack of knowledge was the main reason for the racist language used then.

Today when many of our football heroes are from all over the world, players who we respect and admire, there is no excuse for racist remarks.

17. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

You missed, Spurf.

18. humanbeingincroydon

Denmark had the two advantages in that tournament - being underestimated, and a group that was easier on paper than it appeared. After all, both France and England failed to qualify for the following World Cup (France also failing to qualify for the previous World Cup), backing this theory up.

As for Greece, they played a particularly dull brand of anti-football and, again, their opposition weren't as great as they appeared on paper - Spain were still a divided side not living up to their obvious potential, Portugal were (as per usual) a lot of fine approach play with no end product, Russia were rebuilding a side at the time, and the France side they met in the quarters was hamstrung by a coach who was beyond defensive in his tactics (whatever happened to him, eh?)

19. notsosmartspur

Precisely hbic, I know many think its not feasible at all, but I hold firm my belief certain journo's would love to turn Spurs upside down and use their position in the media to try and do so, its only natural sports writers are going to support one team or another. If asked, they would say they're impartial, but thats baloney imo.

20. notsosmartspur

I like what I'm reading between the lines here...

'I think your focus has got to be on one job, you can't be going home thinking, "Who's playing well in this situation?"

'I can't take my eye off the ball at Tottenham at the moment because we're looking to get Champions League football, we're still in the FA Cup and I owe it to them to continue to keep completely focused on the job I'm doing here.

'It wouldn't be fair to anybody here if I started to let my thoughts wander elsewhere.'