1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Harry & Meghan

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Albert's Chip Shop, Feb 19, 2021.

1. Joelinton's Right Foot

Joelinton's Right Foot Worth Every Penny
    Forum Moderator

First one to go will be Northern Ireland. Ireland will be united before Scotland gets anything

2. Welshie

Welshie Chavcunt fanboy dickhead

Kinda never remember they're even part of the UK tbh

3. Darren Peacock’s Ponytail

Darren Peacock’s Ponytail Well-Known Member

Oh I understand that but you mention the North but further every other part of the country.
    The government only looks out for is central London.
    But in my system where we have professionals running the country the need for regional federations would become null and void.

Welshie likes this.
  4. Joelinton's Right Foot

Forum Moderator

For the first time ever since they were splt up, over 50% of Northern Ireland residents are in favour of unification.

5. Welshie

Welshie Chavcunt fanboy dickhead

I think Brexit and other hot topics are enflaming nationalists in Ireland and Scotland with polls reflecting that.

But much like opposition voters before an election, I have no doubt these numbers would deflate before an actual vote.

Lol Wales still rocking over 60% in favour of the union. It goes as high as 70% when nothings going on.

Flash likes this.
  6. Delusional Full Stop

Delusional Full Stop Here to serve all your counselling needs.
    Forum Moderator

But that’s the long term problem.

Just because now there is a majority for unification of Ireland there needs to be an extended period of this being the case before unification should before any serious consideration is given to making it happen. And by extended I mean years. Simply to avoid short term issues affecting long term issues. This in turn is subject to percentages as, for example, it could be shown over two thirds wanted unification for over a year then that would be a factor to consider in the equation.

I would say I was an advocate for the Union and it concerns me that short term (relatively speaking) opportunists such as Sturgeon don’t disrupt the status quo

Dorty Dogbreath likes this.
  7. Joelinton's Right Foot

Forum Moderator

It will certainly be a minefield whenever the issue is addressed in Ireland. Whichever way the polls are going, you can be sure the minority will be a particularly passionate minority compared to other areas of the UK.

How many years would you give it for Scotland? Opinion polls have been over 50% in favour of independence solidly for about 5 years now and the feeling is far stronger than it was 7 years ago.

8. Delusional Full Stop

Forum Moderator

Might seem harsh but 15-20 years.

The logic. It was agreed to be a once in a generation vote. Generations are supposed to be 21 years apart (?).

If the percentages went over 66.6% or 75% then I would review the timescale. Without monitoring or checking the percentages have floated around 50% for quite some time. Most elections the status quo logic usually pulls in a few points on the percentage scale possibly like the last vote.

For Companies day to day matters need a simple majority on voting but the “big” stuff needs 75% in favour. This I would say is “big” stuff but I wouldn’t want the need for a 75% majority to pass an independence vote but I would want a consistent indication by polls of a noticeable majority for a period of time to have a further vote. Sturgeon simply wants another vote within the “generation” timescale as the SNP only agreed that as they hadn’t expected to lose the last vote.

Similar to Brexit if you were one of the people (not you personally but generally speaking) who “lost” get on with making the best of what is and stop wanting vote after vote until you “win”. Votes cost money, votes take time, votes create uncertainty until they have taken place.

9. Joelinton's Right Foot

Forum Moderator

Normally I would agree with you, especially as I would prefer to see Scotland stay in the union as part of a more federalist set up. However, David Cameron panicked in 2014 when the polls suggested the vote might go in favour of independence (nobody - not even the SNP expected that). He came up two days before the vote, just after the first poll that indicated a Yes win, and specifically told the Scottish people that the ONLY way they could stay in the EU was to vote No to independence. He even said that if the EU situation changed they could have another vote. I don't think he expected the EU situation to change, but he did make that promise and a lot of people switched to a No vote on the back of it.

10. Darren Peacock’s Ponytail

11. Joelinton's Right Foot

Forum Moderator

On the Brexit point I agree with you. I was a remainer (still am in terms of believing it would have been better to stay in) but the vote has happened and I see no point in doing anything other than trying to make it work and arguing for the best type of working relationship with EU we can have. One point on that though, the first poll to show a majority in favour of leaving was the actual vote. That's why it took so many of the politicians by surprise. Most historical big changes haven't come on the back of overwhelming support in polls but have had an element of surprise to them (whether a vote for change or a closer result than expected).

12. Delusional Full Stop

Forum Moderator

We wouldn’t have been given a vote if the politicians and particularly that idiot Cameron thought we would vote to leave the EU. I also voted to remain.

13. Joelinton's Right Foot

Forum Moderator

Agreed. For too long now politicians (on every side) have shown no courage of convictions and said whatever would get through the immediate problem in order to hold onto (or get) power.

14. Darren Peacock’s Ponytail

Yes because they are career politicians.
    They have no interest in serving the public.

I've spoiled my ballot paper for too long

15. Heed

Heed well known cheat

Hopefully Pnilip will pull through his latest illness and reach 100.

God Save The Queen

❤ From the Heed

16. Delusional Full Stop

Forum Moderator

Whose Pnilip? Is he your accomplice? And why are you threatening the Queen? What she ever do to you?

Dorty Dogbreath likes this.
  17. Heed

Heed well known cheat

Ahh, Philip, he's a potential H Bomb.
    I have many accomplices, not least the poison in the human machine.
    You do realise our figurehead is not what she seems.
    Because there's no future and England's dreaming.

18. Delusional Full Stop

Forum Moderator

Ahhh, the romantic songs of our youth.

:emoticon-0115-inlov

Heed likes this.
  19. Heed

Heed well known cheat

Yes, and how to annoy the missus many years later <laugh>

Delusional Full Stop likes this.
  20. Albert’s Chip Sock

Albert’s Chip Sock definitely not an ACS sock....

I see that camera and publicity shy Harry jumped on the James Cordon show for another interview.

I wonder if he got paid?