1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Guly

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Don Cortese, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Don Cortese

Don Cortese Member

....perhaps the only player to disappoint a bit today? Classy bit of work for the second Lallana chance, but im thinking AOC and De Ridder might restrict his chances for the right wing spot?

Think he might be more of a threat in the hole or up front when needed?

2. Saints Fan4Life

Saints Fan4Life Well-Known Member

he just wasnt in the game today for me

3. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

Lambert was disappointing too, but I agree Guly could have been better. Still, the wing isn't his preferred position and it's a new level for him (and Lambert), give them time and they'll produce. Hopefully.

4. Pilki01

Pilki01 Member

He improved in second half and showed a few neat chances. It's his first game at this level so it's going to take him a while to adjust.

5. Saint-Harry

Saint-Harry Member

He isn't a winger - It's as simple as that. Sometimes he is amazing but sometimes he just doesn't get into games.

6. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

As I've said elsewhere on here, I thought he tracked back really well and overall did a lot for us defensively. I thought him and Richardon were very solid on that side, which was important because to be honest Gradel turned out to be their only threat.

7. Don Cortese

Don Cortese Member

Yeah, for me Lambert still looked quality - the way he created the first goal is the other element to his game which people dont often give him credit for. His control and vision are class.

8. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

I agree there is so much more to Lambert than goals (though that is his primary function). He draws defenders to him and supplies the ball for others to score. He is a strong and creative player. Guly takes longer than others to get going. The trouble is that he can take a few games to settle in, then if he gets injured he has to start all over again. He showed last season that he and Lambert work well together, but Connolly's the preferred partner now. Adkins put out an attacking team today which is what works best for saints.

9. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

Lets face it, if Chambo was fit, Guly would've been playing up front or on the bench, he did a job for the team pretty well from what I could see. I don't get Saints fans, we have just beaten a very good Leeds side 3-1 and still need to pick holes at the performance of certain players. Guly will always be singled out because he tries things that others don't and when it comes off it could lead to a chance or a goal. I'm delighted with the overall performance from the lads and it has proved (not that I doubted) that we can compete well in the Championship.

10. SFCRich

SFCRich Member

He would have scored an absolute an absolute screamer if his volley went in.

11. JDub

JDub Well-Known Member

Just wait and watch the highlights. Guly worked extremely hard for the team today and helped us win the midfield battle. He was out of position on the right wing but still put in a telling cross that nearly led to Lallana's second. He had moments where he just eased passed players and others where he muscled his way through. Good player and adds versatility as he can play up top, in the hole, or on the wing.

12. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Guly worked very hard

Lambert was good today. He always gets criticised if he doesn't score or have lots of chances. He was a tower of strength and set up the first and if Lallana had played him in at the end instead of looking for De Ridder, he may have notched too. Not vintage Ricky, but still very good performance.

13. SL Saint

SL Saint Member

oh my word if that volley had got anywhere near the goal. I think i would have joined him on the pitch!!

14. hotbovril

hotbovril Well-Known Member

Guly stood out for me. His performance was selfless and he was clearly playing to the letter of instructions NA had given. He didn't get forward until we changed formation late on and instead just made a right nuisance of himself in the middle. Doing a job for the team is not something you often associate with South American forwards!

15. Saintsbornagain

I don't think Guly had his best game but agree with a few posters on here that he worked very hard defensively. His pass set up Hammond for the first goal and almost set up Lallana. Although I felt De Ridder should have started I think NA was right as I think it may take De Ridder time to get used to the Championship pace of the game. Did enough for me.

16. Romsey_Saint

Romsey_Saint Well-Known Member

We had a thread going last week about the midfield and I wrote on there that I thought Guly might find it hard to get playing time. IMO he is a central attacking midfielder; playing behind the forwards and not a winger. With Oxo and De Ridder; opportunites on the right will be infrequent. Central midfield will be Hammond and Cork, with Spiderman and Chaplow as the next pairing [based on yesterday] so I don't see him as a starter there either.

I really do not think he can make it as a forward at this level; he struggled against WBA reserves the other night; its not a natural position for him. I do enjoy watching him play when he's on-song; but at this level we need all 10 outfield players giving 100% for the 90mins and, unfortunately with Guly, you do not know which Guly has turned up on match day. I think he will remain a valuable addition to our squad, but I do not see him as a first team regular this season.

17. rednright

rednright Well-Known Member

Guly is better down the centre for me. slightly out of it in patches, but his performance was less about his individual ability and more about the team today. Guly is a natural starter in Lambo's position and suspect that is where he will be used most thus season as cover.

18. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Guly may get some games as an out and out striker because Barnard's injury shows we're light in this department.

Also sad to see Sharp at Doncaster may have a broken leg...you can be one bad tackle from disaster.

19. Saint

Saint Active Member

Guly will either play really well and show a huge amount of class and other times he doesnt seem to get into the game, give him more time and he will permanently shine i think that he will be much better suited to this league where players are of a little more class and it is debatable that they are a little less rough, although not if leeds are anything to go by.

Also i think he plays much better in a central role at either CAM or ST.