1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Guest breakfast debate 11/02/21

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by hemase, Feb 11, 2021.

1. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Well rather than quote the fkg Daily Mail, try using google and get the actual rules and the way the points are allocated. Just because you read it in a paper doesnt make it fact mate. But you know that so why get into an argument about it.. always best to say “according to the Daily Mail” then its not you saying it :emoticon-0148-yes:

2. Marcos Barber

Marcos Barber Well-Known Member

I’d have Meslier over Henderson every day of the week and that’s not a wind up :emoticon-0148-yes:

3. wakeybreakyheart

wakeybreakyheart Well-Known Member

4. Leedsoflondon

Leedsoflondon Well-Known Member

It was a throwaway comment. Chill out <ok>

wakeybreakyheart likes this.
  5. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Whitejock likes this.
  6. Poly

Poly Well-Known Member

So you don't believe the Daily Mail ?
    How about The Guardian ?

"The qualifying criteria for managers are simpler than those for players: 24 months consecutively or 36 months over the past five years working in any competition from band 1 to band 5. You also need a Uefa Pro licence and proof your English is good enough to, among other things, “describe experiences and events, dreams, hopes & ambitions and briefly give reasons and explanations for opinions and plans”. There is some debate as to whether Marcelo Bielsa would meet these criteria and Watford’s new Spanish head coach, Xisco Muñoz, whose previous job was with Dinamo Tbilisi, would certainly not...."

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/dec/28/football-and-brexit-a-guide-to-the-new-rules

You said:

Bielsa's managerial history reads:

1990–1992 Newell's Old Boys
    1993–1995 Atlas
    1995–1996 América
    1997–1998 Vélez Sarsfield
    1998 Espanyol
    1998–2004 Argentina
    2007–2011 Chile
    2011–2013 Athletic Bilbao
    2014–2015 Marseille
    2016 Lazio
    2017 Lille
    2018– Leeds United

So tell me, before signing for us in 2018, what club(s) had he managed consecutively for 24 months or 36 months over the previous five years ?

He was manager of Lazio for just two days and managed Lille for just 13 games - how does that add up to 36 months of management ?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
    Aski likes this.
  7. wakeybreakyheart

Start an article on this as a stand alone. Putit in on open forums and see who knew this. Might provoke some interesting discussions

8. wakeybreakyheart

Is that wind or wind

Marcos Barber likes this.
  9. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

Wind. <whistle>

10. Poly

Poly Well-Known Member

I'm not so sure.

It's a moot point since he's on way too much money for us to pay, but Man Utd rate him higher than Romero. I think Meslier's going to be a great player and if the Euros do go ahead this year, I think he'll make the French squad.

Is he a better 'keeper than Henderson though ?
    It's certainly not a clear cut case as you seem to think it is.

Makemstine Roger likes this.

11. 2 pennth

2 pennth Well-Known Member

Tell you what bring in someone over Meslier and Meslier will go and I for one would not blame him

12. Aski

Aski Well-Known Member

Confirmed via the PDF on the FA Website

https://www.thefa.com/-/media/files...eria/gbe-mens-managers-criteria-jan-2021.ashx

That of course doesnt mean that Bielsa, OGS or any other manager in a similar situation wouldnt get a visa, as basically Bielsa had to go up before a panel anyways when he got appointed, so it would be a similar situation I would imagine, just that under the new rules it wouldn't be a rubber stamping of a submitted application

13. Poly

Poly Well-Known Member

Possibly.

It doesn't matter at all what Bielsa (or any foreign coach) did 20 years ago, it's only the last 2-3 years.

However Bielsa does qualify now to work i the UK. But if the new rules were in force, in 2018 when he joined us, he would not have been eligible for employment as a manager.

14. Poly

Poly Well-Known Member

It would depend on whether he could see a future for himself at Leeds. If we hired Henderson, for example, yes he would leave, but if we hired say a 35 year old 'keeper and promised him growth as a player and a first team spot in a couple of years, he might stay.

Do we really want to sign a player who's happy to warm the bench game after game and only play in meaningless cup games ?

You'd end up having a player who doesn't care - like Kiko.

15. esteponawhite

esteponawhite Well-Known Member

We have an excellent young keeper, why sign another one?
    Let's face it some of the mega bucks keepers haven’t really shone. Kepa, Allisson..
    Meslier all ready has 7 clean sheets this season, not bad for a kid from a newly promoted side.

16. FORZA LEEDS

FORZA LEEDS Well-Known Member

No need to sign a new keeper. Keep Meslier as No.1, pay off Coco's contract and promote Caprile as No.2.

It's really not that complicated.

17. 2 pennth

2 pennth Well-Known Member

You’re just having a laugh

18. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Still dont understand the policy with keepers, heres what I mean:
    • Peacock-Farrel
    • Huffer (England U20)
    • Miazek
    • Meslier
    • Caprile
    • Van Da Heuval
    • Skerry
    We then get rid of 2 junior internationals as we have Kiko and then we release Miazek who to be fair was a very good keeper and saved a lot of penalties. So we are left with a 20yo No1 and 3 even younger kids as his main back up. I watch a lot of the academy games and Caprile isnt as good as Miazek was IMHO, so I fear him sat on the bench for the first team. The youngest is Cooper Skerry who plays for the U18s and he is gobby Aussie and takes no prisoners love his attitude and think he will be the dogz, but in fairnes right now we are lightweight.

i believe Romero as No1 for 2 seasons with Meslier in agreement as part of his education, would then take over and be a much better keeper. Romero with almost a hundred caps for a top World National team can only benefit Meslier and the club. Once Kiko goes we have kids only

19. Marcos Barber

Marcos Barber Well-Known Member

The thing is Doc, Meslier is already a far better keeper than he was a year ago. He’s made a few distribution mistakes but they are getting less and he has more than made up for it with some outstanding saves. Not totally confident with punching the ball but becoming more assured at that and catches more high balls than he did a year ago - basically a twenty year old getting braver and growing into the role.

You can tell that the other players trust him too. Doesn’t get loads of high fives or pats on the back/ arm around the shoulder because the other players expect him to do things well. It wasn’t just us that got jittery with the clown in goal, run back footage and see how many times the same players had misplaced passes or panicked clearances until Meslier came in.

There are genuinely very, very few Premier League keepers I would prefer. Agreed, a bit light behind him so finding a good back up would make sense. Plenty of decent keepers in the Championship - would they come as back up? Of course they would, cash and the chance to play in the EPL if Meslier gets injured or badly loses form, just ask Rob Green or Bailey double barrel.

If Meslier is our first choice for the next 5+ years and keeps improving as he has so far, I for one will be delighted :emoticon-0148-yes:

20. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Cannot disagree with any of that, I just cant believe we have our keepers all doing a paper round after training befire they do their homework <laugh> 20yo senior keeper backed by a 19yo who is ahead of 2 more 18yo keepers. Seems a strange heirechy to me