1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Grant coming home?

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Jack TheLad, Jan 23, 2019.

1. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Who gets the captains armband - only one way to find out...

please log in to view this image

George Honeyman :bandit:

Nads, cumbrianmackem and clockstander like this.
  2. brb

brb CR250

I've seen the rumours but know nothing more at this stage. Other than a rumoured move of a winger coming into us from Dundee United.

I hasten to add all speculation but our season is screwed anyway, so good luck to the lad if this move comes off.

Good luck lads, would be interesting to see if the lad could make the step up, and what better feeling than playing in front of 30k+ every other weekend.

farnboromackem likes this.
  3. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

Cheers

Could he be as successful as Bradley Dack, do you think?

4. Saf

Would anybody be interested in Ched Evans? I'd take him.

maddawgmackem likes this.
  5. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Ian Henderson at Rochdale would do the job.

6. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Absolutely. Up there with Moore for me. Proper centre forward

7. Saf

Barnsley getting beat and agreed mate!

marcusblackcat likes this.
  8. brb

brb CR250

Hmmm...i wouldn't put him in the same category as Dack, but he's a good goal scorer and a grafter. Ie will not just wait for the ball but work for it too, as well has helping out at the back when required. Good all round player, but not Dack's league, he was something special (Dack) imho.

9. brb

brb CR250

Speaking of all round player, we drew 0-0 at home to Accrington tonight thanks to a clearance off the line by Eaves! Makes a good centre back as well has a striker.

Hope that gives us an increase in the pound signs ;)

Nads likes this.
  10. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

Interview: Middlesbrough fan waxes lyrical about soon-to-be Sunderland man Grant Leadbitter!

We spoke to massive Boro fan Jimmy Lees about Grant Leadbitter in order to find out whether he is ‘past it’ or if he still has plenty of gas left in the tank.

By connorbromley

on January 26, 2019 9:09 am

Photo by Alex Livesey/Getty Images

RR: How important has Grant been to Boro since signing from Ipswich back in 2012?

JL: He joined the club during a huge transitional period for us. Mogga (Tony Mowbray) was trying to bring some identity back to the club.

Our main midfielder had left in Barry Robson and the fans were worried. Grant came straight in and made an impact. He was a catalyst in our change of fortunes over the years.

As soon as Aitor Karanka came in and our current captain (Rhys Williams) was struggling with injuries, he made Grant captain and what a masterstroke that was. Without a doubt, our best captain since Gareth Southgate.

During our 2016 promotion season, we did hit some sticky patches, but Grant was always there to pull us through. How important has he been? I think he has been our most important player.

RR: Why has he featured so little for Boro this season?

JL: This I don’t know. Personally, I think he is better than Mo Besic and Adam Clayton.

But maybe Pulis is looking at his age and thinks he can’t rely on him to be the captain that he once was.

Photo by Clive Mason/Getty Images

RR: Do you think he could still play at Championship level?

JL: Yes. I think he could easily play one or two games a week at a good standard.

He may have bad games, but who doesn’t? He can still hit a great cross-field pass and drive a team on.

RR: Have you been impressed with his performances?

JL: When he has played this season I have.

His last game was in the cup against Peterborough and he controlled the game from the middle to let Lewis Wing do his thing.

RR: What can Sunderland fans expect from Leadbitter?

JL: You can not deny that he loves Sunderland.

This is a move that will keep the fire burning inside him, which is a huge part of his game.

If he moved on to another championship club, it would have been to just play football. The fact that he is going to his boyhood club to fight for promotion will excite him which means you will see the best Grant Leadbitter.

Running games, scoring goals and making your team a success.

Photo by Alex Livesey/Getty Images

RR: Are you surprised that he has taken a huge pay cut to move back to his boyhood club?

JL: Nah, not at all. The guy oozes class. This just makes me love him more, to be honest.

RR: Sunderland lack a bit of extra physicality, will Grant help give us that midfield strength?

JL: In abundance. He doesn’t stop and never shirks from a challenge.

RR: Finally, are you sad to see Grant leave Boro?

JL: Massively. My favourite player by far over the last 10 years.

I have felt proud when calling him my clubs captain. Middlesbrough Football Club are better for having Grant Leadbitter, hopefully, he is better for having Middlesbrough Football Club.

I hope he is a huge part of building his hometown club in becoming the force it should be. As long as it’s not at Boro’s expense like!

RR: Cheers Jimmy and good luck for the rest of the season

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Nordic, Dorset, Nads and 1 other person like this.

11. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I think a major part of our recruitment in the new regime has been signing players who actually want to be here and that couldn't be any clearer than it is with Grant. It's a bonus that his quality is that of a league above where we are and credit to us for getting a fantastic deal.

12. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

I think he's going to be a great signing. Still a load of people against him on Twitter. Who wouldn't want a player like this at their club? Baffling.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Jack TheLad likes this.
  13. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I've barely seen him play recently but all the indications are that he's a class above where we are and despite our numbers in CM we're weak there. You know what people on Twitter are like, we could sign Messi and they'd find fault with it.

Dorset, smithy in nl and Brian Storm like this.
  14. Deletion Requested1

Deletion Requested1 Well-Known Member

Messi nah far too small

15. Disco down under

Disco down under Well-Known Member

I wouldn't personally. Just because of the circus around it and the inevitable backlash.

After Adam Johnson I'd be doing everything possible to stay ultra ultra clean in terms of PR. I know it was overturned but the connection is still there in people's minds..

I realise this is pretty cruel, but I work in advertising/PR and unfortunately mud sticks.

16. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Yep, this.