1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Good Start By The Braves

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Joelinton's Right Foot, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Joelinton's Right Foot

Joelinton's Right Foot Worth Every Penny
    Forum Moderator

I've been a fan of the Braves since I spent a year living in Atlanta on a student exchange in 95-96. Yes I was there when we won the world series, but as it was Atlanta I was living in I think I can be excused from being a glory hunter.

Anyway, my point is that in all of the years since then I don't remember us having an 11-1 start in our first 12 games. I know we are traditionally seen as strong starters who blow it in the play-offs (a bit like the Falcons so it must be an Atlanta thing), but as an armchair fan I was wondering if anyone had any insight as to whether the Braves stand a realistic chance of success this year. From what I have seen so far the pitching has looked better. The Braves do well when their success is bult on pitching more than batting so could this be their year?

Forgive my armchair fan status, but at least I'm making an effort!

2. Cove

Cove Well-Known Member

Andrelton Simmons has been a beast defensively, and I'm only saying that because he's a fellow Dutchman <ok>
    But I must say Justin Upton really looks good, very solid at bat and with a .340 as average hit ratio, that's pretty darn good.

3. Joelinton's Right Foot

Forum Moderator

I've been impressed with their ability to just not lose. They were the free game on mlb.com last night and to be honest for 7 innings they were hopeless. gave away 3 errors and couldn't get runners on base. Two solo home runs kept them in it at 2-2 but they didn't look good. Then in the bottom of the 8th they clicked against the closer. He was only throwing fast balls but gave away 3 solo HR's in 4 at bats. They were awesome!

I'm not really as up on things as I used to be when it was on channel 4 here, but I still love to follow.

4. Cove

Cove Well-Known Member

Very true, watched that game as well but fell asleep in the 7th and woke up and saw the Braves cheering <laugh>

5. Joelinton's Right Foot

Forum Moderator

Of all the bits to miss <laugh>

6. Joelinton's Right Foot

Forum Moderator

So who do you follow Cove?

7. Cove

Cove Well-Known Member

To be very honest with you, I have tinnitus and with that a severe case of insomnia. I use baseball matches to fall asleep. The pace of the game and the commentary makes it perfect to doze off. :emoticon-0138-think

8. Joelinton's Right Foot

Forum Moderator

well we all need something. I struggle sleeping too. I go through phases listening to sleep music on youtube or the ricky gervais show (don't know why but it works!)

9. Cove

Cove Well-Known Member

Guess we all have our quirks :grin:
    Anyways, I don't really support a team but I do rate a couple of commenters I 'favour'. The Red Sox, Angels and White Sox commenters have terrible voices. The best ones come from the Orioles, Cardinals and Twins. I usually get the games from rojadirecta:
    http://forum.rojadirecta.es/showthread.php?194476-MLB-Regular-Season-Texas-Rangers-Chicago-Cubs-(G1-3)-16-04-2013

10. Joelinton's Right Foot

Forum Moderator

I only follow the Braves cos I lived there for a year when I was on a student exchange. I love the american coverage just because it brings back so many memories.

And thanks for the link :D

11. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

This is the first time I've realised there's a baseball part of the forum. I've been following the Twins since I first when to Minneapolis a few years ago. Good start by the Twins this season.