1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Gomes

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Roo, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

I've just been having a bit of a think about Gomes.
    For 5 years, his time at spurs had led to all sorts of piss taking from the media, pundits, opposition fans, and even ourselves.
    But imagine going into training every day knowing what your reputation has become within football, and knowing you're never going to be in the squad. We've had 3 managers since he signed, and he's been completely frozen out. Imagine the day to day conversations during training between players about who's in the first team, who's on the bench etc etc. Huerelho can't even join in with that. The feeling must be similar to a kid on the playground who's last to be picked, or told he can't join in. Now, I know he's paid very well, but at the end of the day we're all human beings and everyone has feelings.
    Part of me wonders if Gomes just deserves one last chance at being our back up goalkeeper. Brad really struggled at times last season and was responsible for quite a lot, if we're honest with ourselves. But just because none of his mistakes were high profile like Gomes' "flapping", Brad seemed to stay under the radar. It's been said on here before how when a goalkeeper reaches a certain age, you can see their game really start to deteriorate quite fast. - I have a nasty feeling that there could be negative comments heading brad's way this year. There's no denying that a lot of Spurs fans have had a different view of Parker last season too. In his first season when he was out, we missed him. in his second when he had to replace Sandro due to long term injury, it wasn't long before some uncalled for, bitchy comments were made, despite him always giving his all.

Gomes has always been professional, he's always smiling in photos and he seems to have a really good relationship with all the players. Maybe I'm wrong, but the impression I've got from what I've seen, is that he's looks like a really nice bloke.

Now, all this might be me just being a bit of a softie of course, but i'd like to see our new coaching staff giving him a chance and sticking him in goal for a few "lesser" games to restore his match day confidence. We obviously signed the bloke for a reason, and let's be honest, his shot stopping was pretty ****ing good. -Not to mention, he'd have a much better defence (when fit!!) in front of him.
    It'd be a great achievement for our new coaching staff if they could turn his situation around. Not only would they prove just how good they are at getting the best out of players (as we saw last season with some of the average players we have/had), but it'd also be nice to know that we won't see an image like this (below) again.

please log in to view this image

It's sad, and Heurelho is part of our squad just like anyone else.

He's become a bit of a scapegoat for piss taking. I've certainly done my fair share and I'm sure you guys have too. But does he really deserve it? Is it justified? Was he that bad?

I really think he deserves another stab. Finding a goalkeeper who'll happily sit on the bench is bloody hard. He's caused barely any trouble in 5 years. (unless there's something I don't know about?)

It'd be really satisfying to see him make a comeback with a new found belief in his ability.

I know I'm probably going to get destroyed for this thread, but I think there's a case for keeping him. You never know, football is a funny old game with fickle fans, and if Brad isn't up to par, we might find ourselves at some point this season saying "Give Gomes a chance".

Best of luck to him, regardless of whatever happens between now and the end of the season and whoever he's playing for.

2. junction8spurs

junction8spurs Active Member

Well said Roo.

Prone to making mistakes as we know, but still a steady back up keeper.

3. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

He's played quite a bit preseason, more than Friedel, perhaps he is being eased back in? He does make saves that very few other keepers would get to, but concentration is crap.

4. Spurm

Spurm Well-Known Member

tbh, i'd be terrified if he played behind Livermore and Capoue (if signs)/Fryers. I'd be perfectly happy to see him over Friedel behind a solid central defence like Verts-Kab or Verts-Daws.

Is that image taken out of context? When was that and where was everyone else?

5. Wandering Yid

Wandering Yid Well-Known Member

Agreed Roo, he deserves another chance purely on the basis of his professionalism. People forget that he was our goalie in two of our most memorable seasons in recent years - the year we finished 4th for the first time, and the subsequent Champions League campaign.

I've posted something similar before and was met with responses of "I never want to see him in a Spurs shirt again", which is a pretty unfair reaction if you ask me. I like Gomes, he has put in some very good performances for us and it's very short sighted to keep Friedel as number two.

Spurcat may disagree though.

6. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's why I put the "he'd have a much better defence (when fit)" bit!!

Probably taken out of context, yes. Which worked beautifully for my article ;)

7. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'd prefer to play Gomes over Friedel too, mainly due to the fact that he's not anchored to his line.
    I don't think that he's convinced anyone at the club though, which is what counts.

Always seems positive and professional whenever you see training clips and he seems to have a great relationship with various players at the club.
    Sandro made a comment about how well he'd been treated by Gomes when he first arrived from Brazil and how he planned to extend a similar welcome to Paulinho.
    Maybe having him around can be a plus off the field, even if he's not playing regularly? It'd be a shame for him though, as a good year could see him back in the Brazil squad for the World Cup.

8. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

I was lucky enough to be at the 2-1 win v arsenal in 2010 when Danny Rose scored THAT goal...the player of the match was Gomes ... he made three outstanding saves in the final 20 minutes to win us the match.
    He saved a free kick from RVP; a Volley from RVP and a header onto the cross bar by Campbell...truely fantansic saves. And he was a big part in us coming 4th that season.
    But unfortunately he also made some real howlers...Villa; stoke; Arsenal and fulham in his first season all cost us points. There was that Chelsea match where he let the ball go through his hands...the man utd match with the nani free kick... I know both of those could/should have not counted but had he done his job properly then the refs wouldn't have been able to **** up...there was the Real Madrid match and I was at the Blackpool match where he saved a penalty and immediately gave away a second one.
    I am not for scapegoating players and wish him well but would have little faith in him were he to play for us so I think it's best he move on. I do agree about him being a good guy...i took my kids to meet him and he was very friendly and kind with them.

9. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

I remember that, RCL. The three saves were all outstanding but it was made even better by the fact that he'd had very little to do up until that point.
    He's capable of making some unbelievable stops. The one he made for PSV from Malbranque, for example. <grr>

10. Inda

Inda Well-Known Member

Gomes scared the defence in front of him. He made them worse than they actually were. The players wouldn't pass back to him. Never forget.

If Friedel is no longer up for the job, someone else. Anyone else.

Gomes left Spurs along time ago. He might still wear a Spurs shirt, but so do I. Bringing players back never works.

11. AshfordGill

AshfordGill Active Member

That save in my opinion was up with Gordon Banks Pele save, few better shot stoppers but few worse kickers, Friedel to my mind is more consistent

12. Spurm

Spurm Well-Known Member

Oh gawd yes, i'd forgot the kicking. Do you realise how many kittens i now own?

13. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

Kaboul?

14. O.Spurcat

O.Spurcat Well-Known Member

If Gomes is to make a comeback, then one of the biggest hurdles he will have to overcome is the fact his own goalkeeper coach doesn't rate him.

15. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

There's no doubt about it that Gomes has his fair share of weakenesses. But confidence is a massive part in football, IMO. I believe this is the main issue. It can make or break a player and there's plenty of examples of this. Would we really have signed a player who was that dodgy?! I don't believe we would have.
    But if we could address those issues with Gomes, by giving him some more game time we might be onto something. AVB has been very fair with a number of players in the squad. He gave everyone a chance, and even though he wrote Dawson off initially, he held his hands up after being proven wrong.
    Some might ask why Gomes still hasn't had a chance within the last year in that case? Well, we all know of the goalkeeper issue last season, where there was the "to do" over brad being dropped and Hugo being bedded in. - imagine having to deal with Gomes on top of that? AVB had enough of his own problems early last season after his reputation was left in tatters.

I highly doubt we'll see Gomes play for us, but it'd be a nice story to see him turn his fortunes round.

16. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

Ah. End of discussion then! <laugh>

17. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

I can distinctly remember the camera focusing on Tony Parks after one of Gomes' errant kicks during a televised game and he could be clearly lipread saying, "WTF was that?" <laugh>
    The subsequent head shaking and look of despair probably explains why Villas-Boas and Freund cover up all of their in-game talks.

18. JamesPGreaves_357

Good post Roo, if HG is staying then I'd see him as back up to Hugo rather than Brad, as I rate him as the better keeper, IF, as you can say he can restore his shattered confidence.

If HG is leaving, I think we need a new back up keeper.

19. Inda

Inda Well-Known Member

Bringing players back never works, unless they're Kaboul.

20. Boss

Boss Son of Pulis

He still holds the clean sheet record with Ian walker, so his name will always be there in history, even when the next keeper takes that record as they will ask "who was the world class keeper who held the record before"....the fans will respond "Gomes & Walker, two of the finest keepers to stand between the sticks and will forever be remembered;)"