1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Going to miss lower leagues!

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by saintadam1981, Apr 9, 2011.

1. saintadam1981

saintadam1981 Active Member

Have recently been thinking when we get promoted to the premier league (presuming we do) that i will miss the lower leagues,mainly because i like the winning feeling and i don't really just want to be a nothing mid table club in the premier league where we might see a few wins but mainly losses.I love being the big club in a division and i love the fact that we can win most of our games,another reason is because i look at the premier league at the moment and all i see is pampered stars and millionaires who think they're above everything,just feel it's all about greed at the top whereas it's been a pleasure to visit some grounds down in this league where i feel fans are proper fans and deserve more credit than they get.

Don't get me wrong i think we have to get to the premier league to prosper but i sure am gonna miss the lower leagues and all the wins!

2. SwindonSaint

SwindonSaint Member

Careful with your wording...sounds a little arrogant about things working out... BUT I totally agree in the respect that playing at the so-called "smaller" clubs is great!
    • The game enjoyment is higher as games are more open, (although there has obviously been some great Prem games)
    • The fans seem more passionate; not just "my favourite player is Steven Gerrard because he plays for England" or "I support Chelsea because I like Drogba and Terry"
    • The knowledge that going into a match knowing we could score 4+ goals

Filling Premier League mid-table positions is nice and gives us a shot of FA Cup or Carling Cup success but Premier League wins has been limited to the same few teams for the last 20 years. Hopefully Saints can get up there before the FA/FIFA bring in rules on maximum transfer costs, wage bills etc which evens out the playing field. Until then, I will just enjoy the football and take fond memories from what this league has given us if/when we eventually move up. Still got this season left and hopefully push onwards and upwards.

3. Kingsland block 37

Honestly don't know how we can even cover this type of topic without being accused of arrogant. We used to be a top flight team but I don't think any of us would have classed us one of the big clubs.
    Completely agree that it's been a joy this season to go to, home games in particular, and expect us to score a few and be entertained. However, i'm looking forward to those days when we go with the expectation that's it's going to be a really hard game and the fans really have to turn up the noise (like MK).
    We've always had an unbelievably strong core of loyal fans that has not diminshed since we dropped down the tiers, what we've lost is the fair weather fans (comment not aimed at those fans that live a long distance from the ground that really make the effort several/many times a season).
    I for one have thoroughly enjoyed being down in the 3rd tier, be it the grounds or the other loyal fans. I do hope that we're in the 2nd tier again next year but still a long way to go.
    How many of our Premier League fans do you think will start coming back if we are in the Championship next season?

4. Joe!

Joe! Well-Known Member

It's nice to be winning a lot, but I definitely wouldn't miss the awful pitches and the teams who come to St Mary's with the intention of playing hit-and-hope long ball football and occasionally getting lucky. I find the Premier League far more entertaining.

5. SFC4BAG

SFC4BAG Well-Known Member

Seeing our team start winning again has made it a worthwhile experience for me.

Taking my 7yo son now to see the red and whites play is far more enjoyable than when I started taking him as we were sliding down and out of the Championship. He kept talking about wanting to go to see Chelsea much to my chagrin. Now he is a fully fledged member of the Saints till I die club. Luckily he was too young to remember us in the Premiership so it will be a new experience for him when we do eventually get there.

6. bristolsaint

bristolsaint Member

I posted on this some time ago under the heading "winning or losing"

I think the topic deserves more debate.

I am loving this season. We are winning, scoring plenty and will probably get promoted. I think we are still miles from being a premier league club and a season or three in the championship continuing the rebuild won't hurt. We shouldn't expect to do a Norwich. Leeds and Forest can't. We mustn't get downhearted if we don't win as many and we mustn't expect NC to try to buy success. I hope that isn't our way. Just because our owners are wealthy it doesn't mean our club is. Stability both on and off the field will do me, even if it is in the championship rather than the prem.

COYS

7. North Hants Saint

North Hants Saint Active Member

The Premier League can be boring , but if we went in with the attitude Blackpool have with more solidity at the back (maybe Radhi will still be going then ;) <laugh> ) then we'd create our own entertainment.

8. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

I have enjoyed the last 2 seasons, because it is more fun winning than losing. But we all know we have to get to Championship to survive financially. We're a top club in this division because we've had a lot of money to spend compared with other teams, but it can't go on. Our Premiership-style infrastructure needs a larger income, not just tickets, but TV and sponsorship money. NC expects us to break even in the Championship, so we have to get there. I'm prepared to stick my neck out and say we are going up this year, but I won't count my poultry about the Premiership just yet.

9. bristolsaint

bristolsaint Member

Sorry Fran but I must disagree.

We are richer than most League 1 teams, and a lot of championship sides, purely on income. We have about 17,000 more for each home game than most. At £20 a ticket, that's £340,000 per home game. I don't know exactly how the money is shared between home and away but we are substantially bigger earners than most and can therefore afford to be bigger spenders. We also have no debt to service.

I'm not sure I want the Prem. Prima donnas, silly money and "fans" who have no connection to "their" team. I'm enjoying real football.

COYS

10. fran-MLs little camera

Bristolsaint...have you seen the bit about our loss in the first year. I'm sure it will get better after the initial outlay, but NC himself says we won't make money till we're in the Prem. I just don't want Markus's family to lose interest after the initial 5 years is over. We're being subsidised in League 1, but our saviour has gone. He was the one who loved to come to the games, although his daughter came with him and clearly shared his joy. If progress is made, they are more likely to stick with us. But I do love League 1 and am prepared to try and enjoy the Championship though it will be tougher.

11. fran-MLs little camera

Try and enjoy the Championship was ironic...I will love it.

12. SFC4BAG

As will we all. There may be a season or two of strengthening but if so at least we will be safe in the knowledge that we have a chance of making it.

Sometimes when I think about the last two seasons it still seems like an unreal dream thatt will be shattered by a dig in the ribs and I will awaken to find that that that is all it was.

Markus will ever be in my thoughts as our saviour, and through him and Nicola I have regained my faith in the possibilities which we see unfolding.

13. bristolsaint

bristolsaint Member

Hi Fran,

I saw the figures and I trust NC. He says he wants us to be self supporting. I hope we achieve it.

I might just enjoy the championship too.

COYS

14. bpl234

bpl234 Member

trust NC.would rather trust mitchell

15. red army comrade

red army comrade New Member

At least with Nicola we see money being invested into our club... can't see Mitchell putting any money into you lot...

16. SFC4BAG

So far we have been lucky with our purchases. Next season it will be even more imperitive that we find players who will not only improve our squad but will be able to keep the team spirit going as well.

17. bpl234

bpl234 Member

have you seen our cark park????