1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Glad we won’t scrape promotion..

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by TopBunk, Apr 17, 2021.

1. TopBunk

TopBunk Active Member

Liverpool and England had a few top players nowhere near the abundance that Pep call upon.

2. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

Foden is an exceptional talent but he has been managed at a club with a great structure and come into a side with bags of experience. I think it actually highlights my point, you don't see Man City with 6 academy players in their teams do you like we have? If they did whilst they might be the most talented in the world it would probably be a struggle for them but then they'd have players like De Bruyne and Aguero to look up to, we have Chambers and Skuse.

As others have said whilst the players might have talent to a certain extent many might have come into early or more so I believe given too much responsibility to early without the support or competition around them. They haven't on the whole forced first team players out of the team they've been put in because there's no one else.

And you last point about having one good season in League 2, it's not their fault we bought them based on 1 good season, it shows the clubs awful recruitment policy.

TopBunk and Southcoastoldgaffer like this.
  3. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

I agree whilst I rate Pep higher than Hodgson, Hodgson took over Liverpool at an awful point, they allowed him to spend something like £7 million to improve a poor squad wondered why they didn't do well, then sacked him and gave Dalglish £100 million to spend and wondered why their form improved. Reminds me of a certain situation at the moment.

No doubting Pep is an outstanding manager, and unlike Mourinho you can actually see that he improves players and performances but you're right I'd like to see him at a lower club even one which hasn't challenged for titles before and see how he does.

TopBunk likes this.