1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Giro D'Italia

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by WBA2_QPR3, May 22, 2018.

1. WBA2_QPR3

WBA2_QPR3 Well-Known Member

Anyone else following this year's Giro?

Finally a proper 'Classic' and such an inspired and heroic performance from Bury lad Simon Yates.

I'm sort of lucky this year that Ramadan here coincides with the Giro, but not the World Cup unfortunately, so I'm home from the office 2pm to get the key parts of each day's stage

Froome looks to be finished in GC Tours and I'm so hoping Yates is a 'clean' rider at last.

I really want to see him ride into Rome in the Magila Rosa

Would be keen to hear any other views on this

Hoopington likes this.
  2. Uber_Hoop

Uber_Hoop Well-Known Member

Oh, cycling. Saw the OP title and thought it was unemployment benefit in Rome or sumfink...

kiwiqpr, UTRs and WBA2_QPR3 like this.
  3. WBA2_QPR3

It's this or I resurrect the 'What Cheese?' thread

Such is the close season

kiwiqpr, UTRs and Uber_Hoop like this.
  4. Uber_Hoop

Uber_Hoop Well-Known Member

Let’s go for the cheese (as the actress said to the bishop).

I’ll start with a blue-veined organzola.

I’ve got a syndrome. Stroller said so. :)

kiwiqpr likes this.
  5. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

6. TheBigDipper

TheBigDipper Well-Known Member

I love the Grand Tours - it's the only reason for paying Eurosport some money. The cycling equivalent of test cricket.

Both the Yates twins (Adam also rides for the same team and was competing at the Tour of California last week) have come on and are starting to fulfil their promise. Simon is doing a grand job - especially after pinning his rivals back on yesterdays time trial.

I think Froome hurt himself in his day one crash far more than Sky let on - and that's affected his performance. He's not done yet as a GC winner (assuming he can successfully demonstrate that the salbutamol test is flawed and that you can get an inaccurate reading if severely dehydrated). But I don't understand why it's taking so long to resolve the case.

Anyway, Simon Yates is a true British success story if he can complete the Giro successfully and become the first Brit to win it. Loving it...

7. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

I am gearing (pun intended) up for LTDF. Watch it every year and have been to see it live, although you wait for hours only to see them whizz past and it's over in about 20 secs. Yates has done really well.
    Watch out for Mark Cavendish this year who hopefully break Merckx’s Tour stage win record and become the greatest Tour rider. Go Cav!

8. TheBigDipper

I've seen the Tour go past. I was in Greenwich... :emoticon-0100-smile

9. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

That must have been a few years back when that had the first heat in the UK.

10. Devonhoop

Devonhoop Well-Known Member

Great to have another Brit in the frame and have been keeping up to date by reading the reports on BBC Sport, don't have time or inclination to pay Eurosport any money to watch. Good luck to Simon Yates though, after today, three tough stages, 56 secs could disappear very quickly (well in less than a minute!).

Would love to see Cav break the stage wins record at TDF but the competition now too fierce, can't see him winning many/any more. Roll on 7 July!

11. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

Cav is still the fastest rider over a certain distance. Agree Sagan,Kittel,Greipel are all good but if Cav gets into space he should do okay. He only needs 4 wins to equal the record and 5 to be the greatest. Dimension Date is an okay team, not as good as when he was at HTC that had the team for sprint finishes, or Sky, however if he keeps himself free from crashes he may get 2-3 stage wins (even 2 would be good).

12. WBA2_QPR3

Yates should have enough in these key mountain stages to see off Tom Dumoulin, Yates is a decent climber

13. Devonhoop

I think the three you mentioned Ellers will be too strong in the sprints for Cav, but, I'd be very happy to be wrong. It's all about the team and where they place him, he certainly knows what he's doing, has the experience but does he still have the raw power?

14. Devonhoop

He's done a brilliant job so far and shown his climbing credentials in spectacular fashion with three stage wins, lets hope he can get one or two more.

15. Rangers Til I Die

Rangers Til I Die Well-Known Member

In Wales atm the moment and set off on new bike. Hit a 16% hill and had to get off and walk most of it!! Huge respect to these fellas and good luck to Yates.
    Do enjoy watching but mainly highlights as not enough time to sit and watch real time.

16. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

Yeah agree the team is the important thing but I still think he will win a stage or two...Actually I haven't checked out all the stages yet so that may change.

17. TheBigDipper

So true. I was out walking in Gozo one summer and was forced to use a short 25% road for about 150m. I couldn't walk up it without zig-zagging to reduce the gradient. You've no idea how hard these roads are until you try.

Re: Giro last night. Decent defensive performance by Yates. Poor Sam Bennett got himself boxed in for the sprint and could get out until it was too late. He looked devastated. Is there a chance that Froome will get himself into 3rd place by the time they're in Rome?

kiwiqpr likes this.
  18. Devonhoop

Bad day yesterday and Yates absolutely blown away today, what a ride by Froome to grab the Magila Rosa, still with a 'Brit'!!

19. TheBigDipper

I thought Froome might snatch overall 3rd place by Sunday. I didn't expect anything quite like this. Looking forward to seeing how he did it on the highlights, later.

20. WBA2_QPR3

A crazy day

Yates crumbled, Froome stormed it

Chapeau sir

Devonhoop likes this.