1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

GILLS FA CUP V CARDIFF

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by gioblues, Dec 8, 2018.

1. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

Well looks like Scally has increased the price for this FA Cup match. Not a lot £ 2 or £3 but stll a bit surprising as Cardiff not massive although in prem. The other thing that it says is that from dec 31 prices will go up £2 but is unclear if that is fa cup matches or all matches.
    Sort of understand why this match is slightly more as some 'Gills ' fans will only go as it is a prem team and Cardiff 2000 supporters will have to pay the same.
    For me i feel a little disappointed as didn t do it when we played Stoke.

brb likes this.
  2. brb

brb CR250

Good thread <ok>

Jut checked online £25.75 (75p booking fee) - not sure how i feel about it to be honest. I suppose my first thoughts are with out current (unclear) financial situation it is what it is. IF Cardiff bring 2,000, then it's an extra 4k revenue, although not sure how gate receipts split, or do Cardiff keep that part of the monies?

I would say twenty is plenty, but i'd like to know Scally's reason for this increase before passing judgement on it. Maybe something for his forthcoming match day notes, after all it wasn't that long ago it was claimed in the media he wanted to interact more with the fans. If your reading Mr Chairman, then maybe a topic worth covering.

alwaysright likes this.
  3. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

Both clubs will get 45% of the gate receipts - that's what makes it so lucrative to be drawn away to a 'big' team.

£20 is plenty ( unless your name is Scally.) I notice that he waited until the televised games were announced before deciding what to charge for the match. The extra £3 is definitely going to make a big difference to the Club's finances - because people won't pay it. I expect that it will also influence a lot of potential Cardiff followers...........

.......... and the really stupid thing is that Scally wants all of your money before the end of December - otherwise you'll have to pay even more (( I think I might start calling him Oliver Twist - or Scrooge !)) --- So --

Don't you dare spend your money on Christmas presents for loved ones. Don't you dare use any spare cash for winter heating bills -or any other essentials - because Santa Scally has a sack ( sorry - I meant swag bag ), that is empty ( so he claims ).

Can you tell I'm disappointed with the price structure for the game. The cost may not be a problem for my personal pocket - but I expect that many people will find it hard to justify - at a time of major expense for everyone. Several STH I know have stated that they won't bother.

I expect that the attendance will be at least 1000 lower than if the price had not been raised by an extra £3. Scally will need to have a FULL house, paying the inflated ( greedy** ) prices, to cover the amount of money the Club will lose when only about 7000 people turn up ( if he's lucky ).

** - actually I shouldn't say " greedy " - because nearly half the money will go to a hard-up Premier League club - they need to screw fans more than Ebenezer Scally.

......... Merry Christmas everybody - as for you Mr.Scally " Ba Humbug "

4. itstimupnorth

itstimupnorth Well-Known Member

I don't know how many Cardiff usually take to away games, but they might like to look at the weather forecast before deciding whether to make the trip.

Just thinking of the Sunderland fans at Accrington yesterday where an umbrella and full wet weather clothing might have meant you only got extremely wet (as opposed to drenched through)

brb likes this.
  5. gioblues

Price should be set as a league game.No way should it be cheaper as we r playing a prem club even if it is a small one.
    Scally should not have raised price either. The extra £2 after 31 st Dec is totally unfair. Not sure if i have understood that part correctly. Is that this match and all other matches. Surely cant be £30 for Rainham End after 31 Dec

itstimupnorth likes this.
  6. alwaysright

Yep - that's right 'Surely' £ 30................. it might have been cheaper if the game had been 'away' -- adults can get in half of Cardiff's ground for £ 23

7. alwaysright

OK - shall I talk a bit of sense (( for a change I hear you say )
    The attendance for the Wycombe game was woeful ( despite the approximately 300 Wycombe fans )..... I think the figure barely reached 4000.

It was the penultimate weekend before Christmas - when, traditionally, people will be hitting the shops to buy a different type of crap ! .... Why didn't Scally make an offer on tickets for this ( Wycombe ) game --- along the lines of a discount/deal for tickets to the Cardiff game, bought as a pair. It may ( probably would ), have appealed to fans who might ( will otherwise ) not pay the 'Cardiff prices' - and - it would have boosted the attendance and revenue for yesterday's game................... mind you - when we were 0-2 down after 17 minutes, I did shout over to Scally asking if he was going to offer the Cardiff tickets for a 'fire sale.' - he wasn't going to be able to give them away -------- -------- we got lucky -- Wycombe were wasteful - and should have buried the game before half time.

8. gioblues

9. gioblues

Did you not know there was a festive deal. watch next 3 home games for £54 wycombe was 1st game. Under 18s £15 for 3 games.

10. alwaysright

Yes -- and didn't it go down well !
    I suppose that, having made the aforementioned deal, Mr. Scally wasn't really in a position to offer the sort of deal that I suggested............ but don't think that I am defending him from my original suggestion -- or from my 'general' accusation of his poor treatment of the 'hardcore' fans over the recent years. Unfortunately, in his desperate** attempt to get some people to attend the three games covered by the 'festive' deal, he has managed to get his business strategy wrong. He would have done better to offer the deal I have suggested.

** the spectacular failure with the crowd figure for the Wycombe game does nothing to quash my theory !

11. brb

brb CR250

alwaysright, i think you are being unkind on the attendance or lack of in publication. Every click of the turnstile takes time to add up, it used to be registered on the number thingy as the turnstile manually turned, before the days of buttons, not that i'm trying to press any of yours of course. Then you added all the numbers together with pen and paper, or in the Gills case sometimes on your fingers, just to avoid any chance of the biro running out, as we didn't have computers in them days.

We are now in a much more advanced technical age. Each season ticket sold, counts as one bum on seat, it don't matter whether you are there or not, your bum counts, just make sure you ain't got that bikini on. So turnstile clicks versus ST sold, the latter wins, but for reasons of health and safety, they like to check you have actually left the ground. I know, i know, why the hell would you stay, but hey man, it's gotta be done.

Next under 18, they get in for a reduced price, so they have to count as less of a percentage of a full person attending surely, see it's getting complex already. Or maybe they still count as a full person! Right who's got the rules, because my head is hurting all ready. And don't even think of getting me started on OAP's! Are we still allowed to call them OAP's or do we just call them grumpy, obviously that in now way is meant to bear any relation to a certain member of this forum.

Then you have to count online sales, again it counts like all ticket purchases even if they don't actually turn up - see paragraph two, last line for further legal clarification.

Although sometimes when i do a head count, when the game has got boring, i'm sure we must have let lots of people in for free, because my count don't match the final figure given. When i say people in for free, naturally i'm talking invisible people when my real life count is taking place. Bit like the Hereford game, when i had a season ticket, i wasn't there but i still counted. Although to be fair, someone else did go in my place, so they were counted as me, even though i was invisible.

Anyway then in this technically advanced age, what if the battery runs out on the calculator or the sun has gone down, the latter depending whether the secretary is sitting in an office on the shady side of the ground.

Let's not forget then comes the important bit, the books, tax, VAT and a stiff ole brandy. Once all this is done, then we can publish the figures, yours truly brb, dodgy accountant who's computer has gone wrong. Unplug, plug back in and start again until you get the right answer, bit like a people's vote i suppose.

Wow, what a great idea, light bulb moment! Paragraph before this one. What if we were to replay all games until the right attendance turned up and we got the right result. Why has no one thought of this before!

The above bears no relation to real life events, but is a bit of banter strung together, any relation to real life events is purely coincidental.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    alwaysright likes this.
  12. alwaysright

brb --- and there was me thinking that Scally's Christmas message was a load of old bottox ( couldn't find L in time on my keyboard ).......
    I have to take up a point you haven't covered - - (( which is remarkable considering the amount of rubbish you fitted in into a shorter message than Scally's ))
    What will happen to the attendance figure for Accrington Stanley v Sunderland a couple of weeks ago - when the game was abandoned. I believe that the crowd was a 'record' ( about 5600 --- give or take 5600 according to your calculations )

ps - I now know what to give you for Christmas - an Abacus ! --- you're obviously struggling to count with having only 12 fingers and 14 toes

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    brb likes this.
  13. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

Have I inadvertently entered the twilight zone??????????

Or maybe fallen down a rabbit hole. <doh>

brb and alwaysright like this.
  14. alwaysright

grumpygit -- bear with me - it's nearly Christmas - and I think brb has been at the sherry............. After reading his post I was considering asking that this thread be retitled " The thread where the letter L and T change places " (( as you can see, I've given one example in my earlier post ( No.12 ) -- but then I realised what Mr. ScaLLy would end up with - and - as you know, I don't like being unkind ( boTTox )

grumpygit and brb like this.
  15. brb

brb CR250

Welcome...

please log in to view this image

grumpygit likes this.
  16. The Gills PegLeg

The Gills PegLeg Up yer Harris

Price has gone up by a pound in most parts of the stadium. After Dec 31st it is likely to be £27 or £28 depending on seats.

I read on another forum that unlike league games the tickets revenue has to be split three ways. 45% to Gills, 45% to Cardiff and 10% goes directly to the FA. Scally has claimed it's 50/50 split but the 10% to the FA does make sense considering UK Sport funding reduces each year.

I've paid the money for a ticket though so ultimately I'm the chump here.

brb likes this.
  17. itstimupnorth

Correct. This is the Paul Scally that, of course, prefers to give us facts.

18. brb

brb CR250

I never originally knew how the gate receipts were split. From my perspective a home game is fantastic, but from a club financial perspective it's surely a disaster!

45% of a 10k attendance or if away 45% of what surely would would have been a 20k attendance - noting their average gate appears to be 30k.

Although good memories at home, creates the support of the future, just don't mention that sentence to @alwaysright

19. itstimupnorth

It's actually the net gate receipts that are divided, which are defined as follows under the Competition Rules, 22 (a):

"The net gate receipts due from a match (except replayed matches in consequence of a
    breach of the Rules) shall be the total ticket sales for the match less VAT, the travelling
    (and possibly accommodation) expenses of the Visiting Club, the fees and expenses of the
    Match Officials, and other match expenses allowed under the Competition Rules (which
    include costs relating to gate attendants, turnstile operators, stewards, police charges,
    floodlighting in accordance with the Competition Rules, contributions to the costs of First
    Aid Helpers and any costs relating to clearing the ground of snow and water provided the
    Visiting Club is consulted beforehand on the approximate costs). Any shortfalls in receipts
    are the responsibility of the home club and are not to be shared. The Professional Game
    Board shall have the power from time to time to issue instructions as to what shall and shall
    not be allowed as a match expense."

The matter of allowable accommodation costs is covered elsewhere in the rules, so, for example, a club travelling to and staying in London wouldn't be able to recover the whole cost of the squad and assistants staying at the Dorchester on Park Lane (unless they managed to negotiate a VERY good deal!).

Anyway, point taken about attendance and possible income, but then again, how many Cardiff supporters would turn up at home to watch Gillingham at £25+ a head? We're not exactly a huge draw are we? And their overheads would be greater than those at Priestfield, so more money to come off the top line before we get our cut.

One of the main rationales for playing a cup match at home is that you get the most passionate support, hence my previous post that surely it would be better to keep prices more reasonable and guarantee a sell out which would give a greater proportion of Gillingham supporters in the ground (assuming the Cardiff numbers aren't going to be hugely affected by pricing), and also get more catering and supplementary revenue (which we keep - it's only ticket revenue that is shared).

This game is more winnable than some might think (= more prize money and another match and share of gate money, home or away), but I have significant doubt whether the crowd will be more than 8,000.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
    alwaysright likes this.
  20. alwaysright

Put your money where your mouth is - just tell us the attendance - I reckon under 7000