1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Gillingham v Charlton. 1 - 1.

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by grumpygit, Nov 21, 2020.

1. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

I thought this was overall a good performance, a draw was fair, but a win would have been deserved.

brb likes this.
  2. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

3. brb

brb CR250

Top performance by the lads today. We went into this game the clear underdogs, against the visitors who had been on a six game win consecutive run. There were no supporters to get behind our lads, to lift them, so they had to go out and get it for themselves today.

The penalty stop by Bonham was the crucial turning point of the game, if it had gone in, our heads would have dropped and Charlton would have romped home. However, the save gave us confidence to go on, and in truth we should have won it, if only Oliver had slotted away his chance.

Our season really is going to rely on Oliver and Samuels finding their scoring feet. Oliver was unlucky at both ends of the pitch today, in each half, point blank stop and the other not quite squeezing through the keepers legs.

It's one point gained against top opposition but some how strangely feels like two points dropped, through lack of that killer instinct up front. If we are not to get drawn in to a relegation battle, then Evans needs to find another striker or do something different, rather sooner than later.

Overall superb from the players today, I couldn't have asked for more in the main, let's just sort out that final third and save ourselves some agony come Spring. Graham is supplying the delivery, so I expect our front two to get stuck on the end of it.

I really don't want to keep repeating this after every game, we are either really unlucky or our strikers can't score, I'm leaning heavily towards the latter, it's up to them to prove me wrong.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    alwaysright and grumpygit like this.
  4. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

I make you right about needing our strikers to start scoring, but then again we aren't getting the midfield to chip in either.
    Why is it that most teams will have a player that can strike a ball from distance and get it on target, we don't have anyone who would really fall into that category.

brb likes this.
  5. brb

brb CR250

After each game I'm beginning to feel as if I sound like a broken record, Charlton were for the taking and for once it wasn't because we were lucky. We earned it, we just failed to claim the prize. Although the opposition arguing over the penalty taker was like a gift from heaven, someone upstairs, likes us for a change.