1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Gillingham in the Summer Transfer Window 2015

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by HOADIE_BOI, May 28, 2015.

1. HOADIE_BOI

HOADIE_BOI Well-Known Member

Here we are summer 2015 and time to add to our squad to push for a top 10 finish or higher next season.
    I thought I would post this thread so we have somewhere to talk about all the rumours and transfers as when they happen.

Who do you think we will sign this season and how many players do you think we need? You can post this all in this thread.

I think we need another keeper as it looks as if Nelson will be going. I would like this to be someone who is around 24-29.

I believe we need at least 2 centre backs maybe 3 if we are to continue with the current formation.
    I also believe we need another wing back/full back or potentially 2.
    I think then we need another striker and possibly another midfielder if Pritchard is to leave.
    So I think we need another 7 or 8 players.

I think the most vital places for us to add quality is at centre back and upfront. I would love to see Ehmer join with an experienced centre back also joining and upfront I would like to see someone like Frank Nouble who has just been released by Coventry.

Who else do we think could be realistic targets?
    I think we could look at these players for the following positions.

1. GK-Sam Slocombe- Looked a good keeper for Scunthorpe and I was surprised that they released him.
    GK- Joe Day- Newport goalkeeper who Justin had at Rushden before. He went on to join Peterborough however Justin signed him again at Newport. Could Edinburgh return to Newport to sign another player?
    GK- Kyle Letheren- Released by Dundee. Was player of the year in the season Dundee won promotion to the Scottish Premiership.
    GK- Jamie Stephens- Only 21 years old. Was highly rated at Newport however Terry Butcher has decided to release him. Could we be interested in him?

2. full backs- Lawrie Wilson- 27 years old released by Charlton. Would be a decent option.
    Bradley Garmston- Hopefully we have a look at him. I would like to see him back at the club as he looked very good when on loan here. I think he is versatile and could play either side.
    Harry Osborne- Can play centre back and full back. Released by Charlton and is still very young. Would fit what we are building.

3. Centre backs- Max Ehmer- Would be my first target. I would be thrilled if we signed him up.

Last edited: May 28, 2015
  2. vinney

vinney Well-Known Member

Certainly not Nouble. Very poor now,and even Coventry don't want him.I remember Pressley ( when he was there) saying that he would only give him an extension if he bucked his ideas up. That was back in January, but I didn't think he was very good when they played us.

patchy70 likes this.
  3. KFG

KFG Active Member

Joe Day GK,Bradley Garmston LB,Max Ehmer CB,Dean Cox MF,John Akinde STR would all be great additions to the squad.

HOADIE_BOI likes this.
  4. HOADIE_BOI

I believe Max Power is still available.Out of contract at Tranmere so only a tribunal fee would be needed. I would like to see us have a look at him as I feel he would be a good signing. He scored a lot of goals last season in League Two and was decent in League One from a young age.
    As for Dean Cox he would be a very good signing. Surely too good to be playing in League Two. I don't know how much he would cost though as he is contracted for another 2 years.

gillslad69 likes this.
  5. The Gills PegLeg

The Gills PegLeg Up yer Harris

I would personally like to see Dean Furman be signed up. Although he's mainly a central midfielder, I'm sure he can play on the right also and played for regularly for Doncaster this season and when they were in the championship. South Africa international, I think he would be a good addition and would offer good experience to people like Jake Hess, Pritchard and Freiter.

gillslad69 likes this.
  6. gillslad69

gillslad69 Member

Hoadie and Pegleg, both of those players have shown a class that could be useful at League 1 level and if Pritch is to leave this summer, a central midfielder would be addition, Furman in particular showed some classy touches when at Oldham. However with Hess and Morris available I would prefer that we invest any available wages (if Pritch leaves) on someone that is left sided that could offer McGlashan some balance. Brennan started playing better in that left sided role towards the end of the season but I am unsure if Dickenson's the real deal.

Now, to this rumour:
    http://www.barnet-mad.co.uk/sngl/ed15/stuart_nelson_to_join_barnet_862954/index.shtml?

I wouldn't be surprised is this particular rumour regarding Nelson had some weight behind it, due to his experience at this level and above I wouldn't be overly shocked if Nels was on a substantive wage and perhaps this is the best move for all parties involved.

7. patchy70

patchy70 Well-Known Member

I never have much idea of which exact players to sign but this is what I think about the positions:
    GK - If Glenn signs his deal then we would be set up for the season. However if Nelson or G.Morris (not both) decide to leave then we have a decision whether to bring in another GK or stick with Hadler as a back - up. I'd say stick with Hadler as he would probably be fine for a few games and then we could get in an experienced loan player when needed. If Nelson does stay (with G.Morris) then I think Hadler should be loaned out. Obviously if Nelson and Morris leave then we would need a replacement for Morris and then as I said keep Hadler.
    RB/RWB - We have signed Jackson and we also have McGlashan to play in that position and Hare seems like a capable young back - up.
    CB - The only players we have in that position are Egan and Davies. I think we should try and bring in Ehmer which would be preferable or another one in a similar style and then a Legge style player. So 2 CB's are needed especially as we are probably going to be playing 3/5 at the back. I would say play Egan and Ehmer/replacement and then alternate between Legge and Davies depending on the opposition.
    LB/LWB - I think we should try and sign one of Garmston or Chicksen (preferably Garmston as I think he would do better in a 5-3-2 system) and then we also have Dickenson who can provide cover here.
    CM/DM - Currently we have Doug Loft, Jake Hessenthaler, Aaron Morris and Josh Pritchard which is probably enough players for that position and for me Loft and Morris should be starting. However if Pritchard leaves then I think we will need another player in that position but one more like A.Morris as I feel Loft, Hess and Pritchard are more similar and Morris is much more of a protector who does still have technical talent (like a lower league Matic style player) and we need someone else like that. However if he does decide to stay then I think hopefully one of Loft/Hess could fill in temporarily.
    AM - Obviously the only player we have in that position is Bradley Dack and I think it would be good to have an experienced back up in that position so there isn't too much pressure on Dack and also he could give advice to Dack and could really help him develop.
    ST - The only players we have in that position are Cody and Norris and then Millbank as a back - up. I think then we need to sign someone in the Marquis mould (as we didn't get him which would have preferable) and then someone else in the Cody mould, both of who are around 24-27 years old so has experience but also has room to improve.
    So this is what I think our first team squad should be:
    Two GK's - As explained above.
    Jackson
    McGlashan
    Egan
    Davies
    Ehmer/New signing
    New Legge style signing
    Garmston/Chicksen/ New Signing
    Dickenson
    Loft
    A.Morris
    Hess
    Pritchard/New Signing
    Dack
    New experienced AM
    Norris
    Cody
    2 X New Signings

Leaves a squad of 20 players which is relatively streamlined as Scally has said he wants on Kent Online.
    So at least 6 new signings and then depending on Pritchard and the GK situation maybe 7-8 signings.

gillslad69 likes this.
  8. WINDYROG

WINDYROG Well-Known Member

Need a decent forward for Cody to play off........a young 'Bayo' would be useful.

9. vinney

vinney Well-Known Member

Don't think his kids are old enough,are they?

10. The Gills PegLeg

The Gills PegLeg Up yer Harris

Ehmer is currently in talks with QPR about having his contract cancelled a year early. Hopefully that will put us in pole position to try and sign him.

Edinburgh has also come out and said that he's interested in bringing back Garmston too now that he's a free agent. I will be happy with both of these.

11. HOADIE_BOI

Them two would be great signings. Next up is a really good striker to partner Mcdonald.

12. HOADIE_BOI

Transfer news update
    There has been some suggestions of Ben Williamson of Port Vale signing for us. Seen a lot of talk on Twitter.

Also we have been linked to Jack Payne. But also Max Ehmer is on holiday in Dubai. Hopefully he is staying at Scally's.

13. gillslad69

gillslad69 Member

Clue are making an announcement at 1630 as per tweet from Gills' official account.

14. HOADIE_BOI

Probably likely to be Ben Williamson signing and possibly Glenn Morris contract signed. Could be another player signed but likely to be these two.

15. gillslad69

gillslad69 Member

Garmstron as well, on a three year deal. Terrific signing.

16. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

Quite happy that Edinburgh is getting on with business.
    Having read about Williamson - it appears that he might be similar to Marquis - and 'that' can only be good news if he forms the same partnership with Cody as Marquis had last season.
    Garmstron will give us attacking options on the left - but he will have to learn to get back a bit quicker than he occasionally did(n't).
    Let's hope we can get cover at right back, centre half and another striker wouldn't go amiss.

17. allbluelenny

allbluelenny Well-Known Member

I cannot see getting players from lower leagues will help our cause the odd one will prove worthy. But will only increase the wages bill. And no result.
    We should be pulling strings if we have any from upper echelons, if we are to move on.
    Irrespective of my comments I will still be faithful and follow the cause UTG

18. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

Signings so far so good, young blood continues plus some experience upfront. Just need at least one quality centre half and another keeper as i think Nelson will leave for first team football.Think we add couple more as well.

19. gillslad69

gillslad69 Member

20. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

I think that it's obvious that we need a striker to 'compliment' the potential that exists in our midfield. I think that McDonald can profit from the new midfield - but I do not have the same 'faith' in the same ability in Norris - and so far, the recent signings haven't been prolific in friendlies.
    Ajose 'could' just be the type of player that is needed to complete the team = we certainly need more !