1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Gillingham game

Discussion in 'Shrewsbury' started by greenhousmeadowman, Oct 23, 2019.

1. greenhousmeadowman

greenhousmeadowman Well-Known Member

This was a pretty dull watch, especially first half where we failed to get any tempo or fluency in passing going. Whalley and Edwards perked things up a bit as subs but, despite a couple of missed chances at the end we can have few complaints about a draw. It is clear that Ricketts should rethink his formation at home as we are set up to play on the break rather than dominate and this is leading to great frustration among the fans. I personally will never boo my own team but you can see why some people did at halftime. I think the team needs to be freshened up on Saturday with Edwards and Whalley starting and perhaps Thompson given a start as well because we have had two underwhelming performances in the last two home games and the fans who go occasionally are not going to become regulars watching this dross.

Zenfootball2 likes this.
  2. Zenfootball2

Zenfootball2 Active Member

that was a dire game to watch Gillingham were poor and we were worse, in an error strewn performance our distribution was poor ,the first touch by many players was poor , we played a zero risk approach with a if in doubt pass it back approach after three passes from the defenders all momentum was lost . it is 0-0 and we bring all the players back for a cross so when we get possession we have no out ball
    Whilst Giles was the source of most of the threat the defending side of his game was poor and i think it was his foul that lead to a penalty.
    i was hoping for a more posative second half but it was not forthcoming a beckles goal resulted in us scr@ping a draw , a header from edwards and ferjiri go wide.
    tonight town were very predicatable going forward long ball that was easily defending, or long diaganole ball to love or giles. we looked more lively when whalley came on but there kepper had very little to do.

we where boring ponderous and predictable, the poor first touch and awful distribution was embaressing and frustrating to watch.it must have been very frustrating for cummings and ferjeri instead of playing to there strength we played long high balls which they have virtually no chance of wining.the manatra on the training ground must be if in doubt pass it back and zero risk.
    what is the most frustrating is that the team are following ricketts instructions and playing his tactics that is not there fault ,having such poor ball control and distribution is.

3. Zenfootball2

www.shropshirestar.com/sport/football/shrewsbury-town-fc/2019/09/14/comment-steve-morison-is-right-we-dont-understand-the-plans/

“Myself watching Wales, and England the other night in the 5-3 game, we can all critique it, and say ‘why isn’t that player doing x, y or z?’ But you don’t know what the player has been asked to do.

“That’s why it’s incredibly hard. Pundits on TV are exactly the same. It doesn’t matter how many games you’ve played, top, top pundits at top levels, they don’t know what a player has been asked to do.”

Football is a game of opinions and, as fans and onlookers, we all think we see and know best. We all believe we have a basic understanding to grasp what we are watching.

But, the truth is, as Morison explained in the oddly eye-opening clip, none of us ‘truly’ understand what Ricketts or any other manager or coach asked of players behind closed doors."

i think booing is counter productive as it can affect our players in a negative way ,
    whilst i understand that it feels disapointing and frustrating when we have such negative tactics at home against a poor team.

4. greenhousmeadowman

At least at the moment we are not in a relegation battle. I think the fans genuinely want Ricketts to succeed but , despite his good work in signing some decent defenders, he seems to have a lot to learn about attack.

Zenfootball2 likes this.
  5. Zenfootball2

it is nice not to be in a relegation battle but the lack of goals is a concern.

with udoh going off injured i just hope it is not serious otherwise it is just cummings and ferjiri

6. greenhousmeadowman

I wonder whether Ricketts will go with just one striker tomorrow and bring in Edwards to strengthen the midfield. Edwards has been pretty disappointing so far but he just needs to put away one chance in the league to get his goal scoring confidence back. He is the midfielder most likely to arrive in the box at the right time and it would be great to see him making more of a contribution to the team.

Zenfootball2 likes this.
  7. Zenfootball2

i dont know how serious the injury to Udoh is , unfortently Edwards has been disapointing i personaly would like to see Thompson have more game time if he is fit , he is one of the few midfilders who has show any inclination to go on a Docherty type charging run.
    at the moment we are very predictable going forward and lack a cutting edge up front to be fair to the forwards we are not playing to there strengths.