1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Get in perfection

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by Red Robin, Sep 16, 2017.

1. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

No problems, I am fascinated by the English language, my grandfather who was blind had me reading from the then Bristol Evening world, he used to to be one of the letter writers on the letters page.... one of the first words I remember is consequences ! another was Hydrogen, a lot of the letters were about the war and the first couple years after it!

2. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

Criticism, yes. Personal attacks and abuse, no way.
    I too criticised him during our poor run, but I can't stand it when people hurl abuse and threaten someone's family. That is just neanderthal. I have no doubt that the knives have been quietly sharpened, greased, wrapped in brown paper and placed in a handy drawer, ready to be got back out at a moment's notice!

I'm also loving how we are playing now though - I'm scared to raise my expectations, because another bad run could be one game away, but certainly enjoying the present - and lapping up some of the comments by opposition fans too who seem to be really impressed by our energy and pace in particular.

3. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

It's quite funny, for almost every game, before kick off, most opposition fans are of the opinion 'I have a good feeling about this, comfortable win', but afterwards, (in amongst complaining about how poor they were themselves for losing to 'Bristol f***ing City*), there is praise, particularly for our 'energy' and 'promising young manager'(!).

...Last night, someone on Stoke's forum even want to swap Sparky for LJ! It really goes to show that the grass seems greener to practically everyone - I'd say Real Madrid fans are possibly the only happy supporters in World football today!

4. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

LJ could be a man in demand if this keeps going.

Funny old game is football.

TampaBayBCFC likes this.
  5. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

Could be a vacancy at Liverpool before too long(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

6. Red Robin

Will be interesting to see what he does if someone did come calling.

SL backed him last season when he should have been sacked.

7. TampaBayBCFC

TampaBayBCFC Active Member

I genuinely believe he loves this club. After SL stood by him, he would not leave for another club unless he endured out of hand abuse by the fans.

Red Robin likes this.
  8. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

I also believe he has strong affection to the club, BUT, if a Premiership side were to come calling, I think he'd be tempted. Whether that's worth of criticism is down to opinion, but I think it's pretty fanciful if anyone thinks their manager is so committed to their team that he would reject a move to anywhere else.

9. Red Robin

He should stick with us after last season shambles,loyalty should go both ways.

10. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

I agree that it should definitely be a factor, but if the unthinkable did happen and a comparably large club (say West Ham) came in for him and offered suitable compensation, I don't think we should play too much hardball.

...This is almost certainly moot anyway - some decent form and cup run and suddenly we're talking about him being coveted by other clubs! A couple of bad results and we'll be back to normal. If any of this actually becomes an issue, then something must be going right!

11. Loathsneyd

Loathsneyd Well-Known Member

So someone who couldn't wait to see the back of Johnson now thinks he should show some loyalty even though he is probably 3 or 4 successive defeats away from calling for his head again!!! If a Premiership club came in for him he would be mad not to consider it at least

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  12. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

I was reading this thread bewildered.
    Surely the one who was out in force saying we should all boycott the games and he would not be renewing his or kids season tickets. All his mates was doing the same. SL should hang his head in shame.
    And now this??
    We all know that two games failure and the wheels are coming off etc.
    We had this last season, we are going to be dark horses like the season Del got sacked. Then come November he's ****e get him out.
    The mans a nutter

13. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

I think the words you're looking for are "very fickle".

RedorDead likes this.
  14. banksyisourhero

banksyisourhero Well-Known Member

The Hypocrisy of this is unbelievable! What loyalty have you shown to him??.. And you will have no problem calling him back out should he lose a couple of games.

The loyalty of a 5 year old child!

BCFCRob and RedorDead like this.
  15. Bigjohnatyeo

Bigjohnatyeo Well-Known Member

And I agree!!!...all these so called supports wanting LJ out last season & this too! are the un loyal ones. If you took the **** out of your eyes you could see that LJ was learning every game, he made mistakes for sure but as I said he has learn from them.

Be interesting the fans reactions when we lose a couple games, because we will.

16. banksyisourhero

Hmmm.. and what about of we go on a run of dismal failure like last season??

I can't understand this us and them thing.. bleating about how you were right all along, 'I was one of the LJ supporters' blah blah..

There were plenty on here apoplectic with rage about getting him out and it took me a while longer but I had enough of him come the end, I have nothing to fear about my loyalty record to managers, I was probably the only one left who supported Mcinnes and Cotterill to the death. SOD.. not so much.

I will always support the manager and players of BCFC but not to the point where it is damaging to the club and last year for me we had reach that point! This year things are going very well and at this point SL decision to hold firm is proving to be correct and my instincts appear to have been wrong, but lets not change history here, the vast majority would have removed him..

To those who stayed ever loyal, good on you.. but don't disappear up your own arses about it!

NickH likes this.
  17. Red Robin

Should have gone last season,i will challenge anyone that thinks he should have been kept.

But credit where credit is due,the guy has turned it around big time.

Anybody that wants to scrutinise my posts,i said very early there seems something special happening with the team,and the way it was playing.

No shame in backing down,the man is doing well and deserves the credit,he also deserved the criticism last season.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  18. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

I agree with this. More often than not I've fallen on the side of defending LJ, because I've sometimes felt the criticism thrown his way has been unfair (mostly 'in hindsight' stuff), but we all want the best for the club, and even I thought that meant getting rid of him at a point last year.

Predicting a manager will come good is definitely more ballsy than saying he'll cock it up, but I don't think it offers that much more of a moral high ground when it turns out to be correct. Things are rosy, if only for a short space of time, and we should all enjoy it - just like Bigjohnatyeo says though, people are likely to revert to type the minute we lose a couple.

19. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

I did stay loyal to LJ and IMO for good reason........no one out there that was available that filled me with confidence that would have done any better..
    The one's that some felt would do a job are not exactly setting the world alight.....Well done to SL for standing by his decisions!!

20. banksyisourhero

Like the person who posted above you and is now trying to pretend he was onside all along???