1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Georginio Wijnaldum

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Skylarker, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Skylarker

Skylarker PL High Commissioner

Is he the missing link?

I've been watching his positional play and awareness and he's been excellent in EVERY game.

Last season we relied on Can and Henderson (and Allen).

Wijnaldum is seriously switched on to his position, everything seems to run through him. He's not a number 10 he's quite clearly a CM. Klopp obviously saw this in him, and got him for this exact reason. Many people were a bit shocked when we bought him thinking he was a 10 - He is NOT a 10. He's a very clever CM.

This is so blatant when you watch him off the ball.

With him in midfield we're a totally different team. He won't get the headlines, but seriously watch his positioning and awareness, this boy can play.

He's by far a better player than Can imo. I think we've been missing this type of player for a number of years. Watch him off the ball (and on the ball), fantastic movement, awareness and intelligence.

At this point £25mil is an absolute steal.

Thoughts?

Diego and DirtyFrank like this.
  2. Enricky.

Enricky. Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Thoughts? I think Jimmy will have you for saying he's better than Can <whistle>

3. Skylarker

He needs to get a grip, he's far better than Can.

Can has a lot to learn for that position. Wiji knows when to go and when to stay. He's been faultless so far.

4. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

Didn't really matter, Jimmy's a nutter!

Jimmy Squarefoot and saintKlopp like this.
  5. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

I like Can, problem is I also really like Lallana and Ninja in the B2B roles too. We seriously lack DM options though

6. moreinjuredthanowen

Hes done well. Worked hard. I would like him to just go the next step.

Lallana has been loved all week for scoring a goal but wijnaldum hasnt really made a telling pass or assist or scored yet to be given attention

Hes been vital to the pressing game and defensively good.

7. Skylarker

Whats the next step?

He's not a number 10. He's controlled the midfield in the games we've played.

People need to forget his style at Newcastle. They had to use him differently because they were ****e.

Like I said he won't get the headlines. His awareness is 2nd to none in our team as it stands.

8. moreinjuredthanowen

There was one or two chances tonight to carry the ball forward or beat a man and make space and one to open up and have a shot.

Id like to see him try to do that. I thibk hes played himself in now so that moment needs to cone where he defines himself in red.

9. Skylarker

True, a goal will do him good.

He has started his assist tally though. It seems we won't struggle for goals as it stands so it's all good.

10. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

He could be more positive with the ball but then, I also think people expect too much at times. People often think players should be like robots. If ninja took more shots, would they complain like they so with coutinho?

11. moreinjuredthanowen

Yes if they were wild.

Really its just about making teams worry about him as well.

Zanjinho likes this.
  12. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

And that's exactly what Lallana as recently done

13. Klopp's Mannschaft

Klopp's Mannschaft Well-Known Member

Wasn't really sure what he's about at first, but he was good tonight. He does kind of what Allen was supposed to do in that CM role, but with much more of a physical presence (he holds and shields the ball very well) and moves the ball on - rarely going backwards like wee Joe did. He's not got a goal yet, but he almost ghosts into the box at times when I'm not expecting it and turns up on the end of a pass suddenly. A goal will definitely see a run of them coming. 25mill seems steep, but yeah, I too think he could be a good little buy.

DirtyFrank likes this.
  14. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

I reckon Ninja is the type of player that goes without a goal but then goes on a run scoring three or four in five or six games

15. Jimmy Squarefoot

Jimmy Squarefoot Well-Known Member

I think he's been brilliant in the role - positionally switched on, and the speed of transitions. Really intelligent, always available and he makes some good runs into the box.

He and Can are playing different roles but both are complimentary. He's playing the more defensive B2B and Lallana is aggressive B2B. I mentioned in another thread that I think Gini moves into Lallana's role once Can comes back.

16. saintKlopp

Klopp is building a team, not assembling a collection of individuals. He sees that Gini can do the job he wants him to do there and it's working well so far. Unspectacular but solid, and vital to a team game.

I'm still waiting to see the skin and hair flying when Jimmy sees the Can comment though. <0k>

Skylarker likes this.
  17. saintKlopp

Damn.

18. moreinjuredthanowen

True.

Lallana is the new ray kennedy..... converted to midfield. Was a **** rw but at cm lallana has done pretty well thus far.

19. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

Wasn't sure what to make originally as hed only played 10 or wide left for Newcastle and we didn't need one, but he's actually slotted in nicely in CM. I think it helps that were quite flexible with many people able to cover other positions in middle. He's been solid wothout being spectacular. Could maybe do but more going forward but I suppose that's normally left for lallana and the front 3.

Interesting to to see who sits out of the midfield and forward line once we get fully fit squad.

20. astro

astro Well-Known Member

Yes, and he only cost Bolasie money

Not as good as Grujic though