1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Geoff Dunford

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by MassiveAttack, Oct 21, 2017.

1. MassiveAttack

MassiveAttack Well-Known Member

Former Rovers Chairman Geoff Dunford Has Passed Away

Everyone at Bristol Rovers was saddened to learn of the death of former Chairman Geoff Dunford earlier today.

Geoff and his father, Denis, did so much to keep Rovers going back in 1986 and he will always be remembered for the major role he played in the history of our club.

We offer our sincere condolences to Geoff’s family, who have issued the following statement, and his friends at this very sad time.

It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of Geoff Dunford on the morning of Saturday 21st October 2017 at 66 years of age.

Geoff quietly and peacefully passed away at home with his wife Sharon, sons Peter and Matthew and step-daughters Jessica, Esther and Kathryn at his side.

Geoff had very bravely battled a long-term illness and throughout displayed great courage, humour, strength and faith.

Geoff was well known as a prominent businessman in the west country, for his involvement on the board of Bristol Rovers F.C. and for the various charity and community projects he supported throughout Bristol.

At home, he worked just as tirelessly as a husband, father and most recently a grandfather. He will be greatly missed by us all.

We ask for family privacy at this time and details of his funeral will be announced in due course.

please log in to view this image

2. MassiveAttack

MassiveAttack Well-Known Member

IT only seems a few months a go I was exchanging banter with Geoff on twitter, 66 is way too young to pass away, I offer my sincere condolences to his family.

3. old timer

old timer Well-Known Member

Thoughts and prayers are with the family at this sad time

Captain Jack Sparrow likes this.
  4. bs3 gas

bs3 gas Well-Known Member

Without Geoff and his dad I believe there would be no Rovers. RIP Geoff Thoughts and prayers with the family, and 3 points from the team for Geoff.

5. Gasheadseamge79

Gasheadseamge79 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

6. Delsy

Delsy Active Member

That is very sad news, my sympathies go to his family at this awful time.

7. A Matter Of Time

A Matter Of Time Well-Known Member

Such an instrumental figure in Rovers' recent history, and it's so saddening to hear that he has passed away much too soon. RIP

8. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Played a massive part to our survival. He loved our club. I remember me and Geoff having a go together on twitter at BBC Points West and ITV Westcountry news about no goal highlights when our non league season started. The responses from both BBC and ITV was that they didnt have the rights/license to show the goal highlights. I then sent the guy running the non league twitter feed a tweet about it who publicly replied to both the BBC and ITV that they didnt need a license and was free to show the goals. Geoff and I kept on and on at them and about 2 weeks later, they caved in and finally started to show the goals. Geoff often retweet and liked my tweets.

This was a shock to me hearing the news on Saturday. I hope something is done like a statue or a stand name like 'The Dunfords stand' for both Geoff an Dennis.

old timer likes this.
  9. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

10. AshtonRed

AshtonRed Well-Known Member

11. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

12. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

13. old timer

old timer Well-Known Member

Couldn't hear all that was said yesterday thanks for putting the above clip on CJS. I thought that our visitors yesterday showed great respect in their silence during the spoken tribute and joining in the applause so well done M K Dons

14. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

I have passed your comment on to MK Dons on twitter <ok>