1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread General matchday thread.

Discussion in 'The Premier League' started by Libby, Aug 4, 2017.

1. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Do players surround the ref when Hawkeye is used? The problem isn't with us "luddites" not wanting progress it is a problem with the system being put forward is ****.

2. Blueman

Blueman Well-Known Member

^^^^^^^ plastic. <ok>

Hoddle is a god likes this.
  3. FosseFilberto

FosseFilberto Pizzeria Superiore and some ...
    Forum Moderator

<laugh> some of you younger men seem unusually sensitive to matching the escapades of us old ****ers ... some way more than others <cheers>

4. FosseFilberto

Forum Moderator

... the conclusion is in the post ... hardly an armchair fan ... fully in favour of VAR <cheers>

5. Blueman

It's embarrassing mate.

6. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

So if a system that will obviously improve decision making isn't perfect 'out-of-the-box', it should be scrapped altogether?
    Are you being serious?

7. Blueman

Bully for you. Most match going fans I know hate it.

8. FosseFilberto

Forum Moderator

It will get better ... I remember them bringing in the no passing back to goalies rule ... chaos for 6 months ... eventually it will all settle down and become routine

9. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

True story. Stamina has never been a problem for me. Keeping in good shape and building testosterone through weight training helped with that.

10. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

It's a while down the road now and there are always issues with it, no such issues with Hawkeye and no real issues with it in any other sports it is used.

11. Blueman

Replied to wrong post I think mate.<laugh>

Quesadaad likes this.
  12. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

Armchair fans make the club more money via subscription fees etc. So it's about time they listened to us plastics a bit more.

13. #StillFcukingRattled!

14. There’s nothing worse than a pissed up plastic ranting at the TV, mate.

15. Well said, Bruv.
    <applause>

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  16. HaslemereKev

HaslemereKev Well-Known Member

The problem with VAR is many of the decisions are still subjective, a matter of opinion. Goal-Line tech works because it is either a goal or it's not - no middle ground

Take the first goal last night - people still have differing opinions on it even after a 3 minute wait. Sure it was handball but it wasn't deliberate and the player was trying to get his hand out of the way! Slow-mo replays also made it look worse! So does the handball rule need to change?

The second goal was offside before the foul was committed but the VAR didn't even look at this, so was a failure in implementing the rules of reviewing a goal

It will get better once refs get used to it, and decisions will get quicker, but I would still prefer if it was for cut and dry decisions, like offside, foul inside or out of the box, ball out of play in the build up etc! Decisions that can be confirmed either way within seconds!

17. Handball that prevents the ball going into the goal is a definite penalty, whether the handball is deliberate or not.

18. If it was deliberate, the player would have been sent off.

19. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

I think it’s inevitable that penalty decisions will always be included in any review system. They change games.

I hear what you’re saying about it being somewhat subjective, but it’s just unavoidable that such a potentially game changing event will always be reviewed.

Re subjective, I thought the first penalty was nailed on. His arm was away from his side and he only made out to withdraw his arm as the ball hit it. The second one I haven’t looked at from a potential offside point.

20. HaslemereKev

HaslemereKev Well-Known Member

In Fifa’s Laws of the Game under Law 12, Fouls and Misconduct, it is stated that a free-kick or penalty is awarded if a player “handles the ball deliberately"

No real definition of deliberate so the onus is still on the referee to decide what is deliberate or not... but in last night's case, I would suggest trying to move his arm out of the way means it wasn't deliberate

I think it was one of those ones you'd feel harsh if against you but would be screaming for it if you are the attacking team