1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

General Football Thread

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by Forgot_My_Lines, Aug 11, 2015.

1. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

I mentioned that around Easter, when we were talking about faint chances of the playoffs 11 games ago, Millwall were actually below us in the league. Then we kept drawing!

Bah!

JM Fan likes this.
  2. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

So both Godfrey and Morris in the Shrews starting 11 at Wembley. <ok>
    Shrews currently losing 1-0, but could've (abbreviation for COULD HAVE!!!) had a penalty after 10 minutes.

Edit - So the Shrews have now lost on all 4 of their trips to Wembley, but I expect a bigger prize would be promotion to the Championship and they are in a 3-way battle to go up automatically, but are almost guaranteed a place in the play-offs.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
  3. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

So, the football 'supercomputer' has been put to work again and reckons that the final table will look like this -

CTNew.png

It will be VERY interesting to see if it's EVEN remotely accurate and I'd just LOVE to see Colin's face IF Cardiff should miss out on the 2nd automatic place!!!

4. oldcanariesfan

oldcanariesfan Well-Known Member

I predicted we'd end up in 12th so this looks bob-on. The only thing I see different is that I think Burton will be bottom.

JM Fan likes this.
  5. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

So Marcus Edwards has returned to Spurs -

Edit - Just seen this from DF - “There is no doubt that with the ball he is one of our best players,” he began, diplomatically. “But without it he has to grow up a bit. That was the reason he didn’t play for Tottenham. He needs to be more grown up in his attitude on the pitch and in his behaviour. We cannot carry him.”

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
    Forgot_My_Lines likes this.
  6. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
  7. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

From PD's article in today's EDP on DF FINALLY accepting the need for a striker who can put the ball in the 'onion bag' on a regular basis -
    City have failed to beat any of the current bottom four and Farke knows part of the solution is finding a fox in the box.
    “If we had all our offensive players from injury it would help but it is also up to us to find some solutions and find some quality,” he said. “We need players who are able to be there with determining goals in games when we don’t create so many chances against teams who park the bus.
    “When we think about the transfer window we will try to add some players who can score in difficult situations."
    “It is not easy to find them.” NO S**T SHERLOCK!!!!
    “If we could spend £15m then you can find this quality but we have to be creative and smart. “I am totally happy with the work and the relationship with Stuart Webber.
    “I have my thoughts but I know Stuart and the scouts are working on this topic.” #awaitsdevelopments
    http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city/canaries-farke-transfer-market-support-1-5472994

8. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

With just 4 or 5 meaningless games to go why not try Abrahams or Fonkeu, at least for a 30 minute run out at the end of a game where Basil or Dennis is misfiring?

Canary Spring likes this.
  9. General Melchett

Whilst I agree with this sentiment in principle, I would guess tht they are not believed to be ready yet and being held back until they are. Every player young or old must earn the shirt.

Bah!

10. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Many of us on here said at the start of the season that Oliveira and Jerome was insufficient.
    The only other option was Carlton Morris, who was away on a season long loan.
    I guess the £3.5m spent late on Hanley scuppered getting anyone else in but the writing was on the wall from day one that we'd struggle to score.

JM Fan likes this.

11. Forgot_My_Lines

Forgot_My_Lines Well-Known Member

I like he said that and did what he did. But It was well know he had an attitude problem. He seems like a Ravel Morrison type. But we still took him on, even though he is nothing like the type of player DF seems to like. I dunno what that deal was.

12. General Melchett

Played in a system that suited them both could have scored goals. I think we've killed Nelsons confidence even though we are finally creating him some chances.
    We did however leave ourselves short

Bah!

13. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

I believe it was to see if DF could 'persuade' him t change his attitude a bit, at no cost to us.

14. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I guess if you surround a player with others who work hard and put the team above personal success, you'd hope some of that attitude would rub off on young Edwards.

For us, he was free squad cover if we got desperate, or if he sorted himself out then it sounds like he has quite the talent. Worth a punt I guess.

On strikers, it's interesting as the General says that we've played a system this year which suits none of our strikers. It'll be interesting to see if we have a more potent attack if/when the pacy striker that Farke and Webber have said they want, arrives.

If you're being charitable, you could say Farke has being trying to drill the rest of the team to play the way he wants, and with the final piece of the puzzle we will be much better for the year's experience that the squad has of Farke-ball.

Or you could argue it's terrible management to ostracise a £12m-rated striker, not play to his strengths and struggle to score as a result.

JM Fan, Resurgam and ncgandy like this.
  15. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

All I can say FML is that is one of your best posts that I've read and I'm feeling quite positive re next sessea, unlike one of our posters who lives across the North Sea.. <applause>

16. Forgot_My_Lines

Forgot_My_Lines Well-Known Member

Was there no fee and no wage contribution?

17. Resurgam

Resurgam Top Analyst
    Staff Member

Not the first time the club has done that though DH

DHCanary likes this.
  18. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

From what I've read on the EDP/MFW, it would appear not, though it was talked about that it was a 'sweetener' for JM to sign for Spuds.

Edit - Just seen this - 'Spurs fans have often wondered why Pochettino – a coach renowned for putting his faith in youth – hasn’t given Edwards any opportunities in the first team despite his obvious talent.
    But Pochettino’s reasons seem to have become apparent if the Telegraph’s report is to be believed.
    Journalist Matt Law claims Edwards turned up late for every single Norwich training session and a number of team meetings.
    Edwards’ chances of becoming a regular for Tottenham are looking increasingly unlikely.

http://www.tottenhamblog.com/2018/0...s-edwards-has-returned-to-spurs-from-norwich/

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  19. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

COULD we see Loserpool in the CL final - Liverpool will play Roma in the Champions League semi-finals, with Bayern Munich facing Real Madrid.
    Should both be cracking games!!! <ok>

20. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Obviously, this is a view shared by quite a few NCFC fans from an article on MFW - 'The REAL problem is that, as long as we will not fund our club in the way it must be, we will not be able to compete. I’ve supported City since 1959 and this is my last year as a season ticket holder. I just cannot bear to watch our inexorable decline into mid-table mediocracy, or worse. Now if all that makes me an impatient supporter, then I plead guilty (but sane!!!).

On the flip side, you'll always get those who'll keep going no matter how bad the football is - even when we were in League 1, we were having crowds around 20,000.