1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic General election ****posting

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by Mind the gap!, Jun 7, 2017.

1. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

My eldest was lucky. She went to uni when the fee was capped at £3k per year. She now has about £15k of debt which the Student Loan company is hounding her for now (she is in China now so it's a right pain - everything needs to go through us).

Both my younger kids were at uni at the same time and my son has approx £30k of debt and my youngest £44k.

I'm not surprised they voted to get rid of that.

Of course, as an older person I question where the money will come from, but as a young person I don't blame them going for Corbyn and worrying about it later.

BCFCRob likes this.
  2. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

Who is this DH that JGF speaks about?
    Unless he hasn't realised Douglas Hurd retired years ago <laugh>

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  3. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

JGF this is the best post pre the election,and after.
    100% spot on,right too the point.

4. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

SORRY rod DOUGLAS HEARD WAS TORY NOT LABOUR..

DH
    well for JC read DH only a DH ( D*** Head ) can lose an election and for 2 days after keep stating TM should throw in the towel and let him reign with an even smaller majority . no wonder his sums do not add up!!!

Angelicnumber16 likes this.
  5. RedorDead

I wouldn't get too excited mate RR agrees with something you wrote. It's time to get worried now <whistle>

BCFCRob likes this.
  6. banksyisourhero

banksyisourhero Well-Known Member

Firstly.. this proposed Labour Govt is as far left as any in the last 40 years, it would be worse if not at least equal to any before in its ineptitude to the economy. The common shout was 'Corbyn will take us back to the 70s'

And They're manifesto was pulled to pieces by 'other economists' (believe it or not there are Tory economists and Labour economists) and we were told that it was all fully sustainable last time they they took our economy to the brink of bankruptcy but it wasn't! BTW the billions that would have been needed to re-nationalise the industries that Corbyn wanted taken back in to state control were never costed either!

Does it not occur to you that if it was all so easy, Labours promises would be like some heavenly utopia that the whole country would rally behind in a shot.. Labour still lost this election despite all the wondrous promises.. Do you believe all those people are sitting at home thinking ahh **** the nurses, **** the poor, **** the pensioners We've got the money but **** Em I'm just gonna vote Tory because they are evil..

I saw a quote in the media somewhere today and it said, The Tories should have been further to the right regarding immigration, terrorism etc and further left regarding the economy. I believe if they would have done that they would have walked the election. its what the majority want!

The Tories ran an horrendously poor campaign and May came across as some robotic idiot who was so arrogant about winning it got up peoples noses. terrible effort.

Corbyn still got beat by 55 seats despite all the 'want it now, snowflake, entitled' generation' pouring out in their droves.

But like I said.. maybe you need to learn your own lesson, because your economists have probably never sat through candlelit nights as a kid with no heating or electric due to 3 day weeks and strikes!

Gordon Brown sold our gold reserves at the lowest rate possible during the last Labour Govt just to prop up the economy so Rob please don't assume those in power are without fault and know it all...

Red Robin and Angelicnumber16 like this.
  7. BCFCRob

BCFCRob Well-Known Member

I'm not assuming any such thing, and I've cut your post down slightly so that I can actually read the bits I want to quote when typing my response (just saying in case you think I'm editing your post to make it look different for my reply!).

You say about Corbyn taking us back to the 70's financially. For one thing, you don't know that. I'd be interested to see your response to the fact that the Tories have cut and cut and cut and cut, making out it's a necessity (which you have implied too to be fair), yet cut tax for the rich and cut corporation tax (which is already extremely low - there is no need to do this), and they always seem to find endless millions for utterly pointless wars (I'm fully aware 'New Labour' were just as guilty of this). In the 70's you guys were actually able to buy your own house and were able to look forward to a proper pension. To me, the Tory way just stinks of helping out their friends, cutting revenue from the top and making the poor guy pay for it. If there was no lobbying or helping out of mates then why else would they want to bring back fox hunting and why else would they want to keep house prices so high, if it wasn't to help those who fund them or lobby them? There is money out there, they just refuse to get it and distribute it fairly.

I completely agree on the re-nationalisation by the way. I would love to see it happen but it's certainly not feasible under any normal budget, I would take it as a long-term ambition rather than a pledge.

I take a bit of offence to the whole snowflake/entitled thing to be honest though banksy. We're the fifth richest country in the world, despite being comparatively tiny. Expecting everyone to have the right to free healthcare, free education and the possibility of buying a place to live does not make me arrogantly or unfairly entitled. As long as I work for it, I should be able to get it, but you can only do that if you're given the right tools to do so growing up. And you know what? Wanting to try and bring a peaceful end to conflict rather than nuclear bombing the **** out of thousands of people does not make me a snowflake - that's another generational nonsense. Not one of the wars which we have gotten into in my lifetime has been warranted, it's disgusting. And before you say it, I despise Tony Blair. I do not draw a parallel between that establishment and this.

8. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

Parts of Labour manifesto could found working in European nations for instance progressive taxation, nationalised industry in G8 and European nations e.g Germany who are led by Conservatives.

The Conservatives austerity has failed, which is why Teresa Mays manifesto proposed five more years. Britain will have been in Tory imposed austerity for over a decade, and they will still not meet their own fiscal targets.

9. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

We are still paying for the last Labour cock up.

10. Cliftonville

The banking/financial crisis was not caused by Labour. All advanced economies were affected.

Austerian ideology has led to increased borrowing, and cuts. We pay for that including those who really should not. This failure will continue.

Mind the gap! likes this.

11. johngalleyfan2

there was 2 camps
    Tory camp ... advisors as to the campaign were total s******
    labour camp ... promise the world,whether affordable or not to get the votes we do not want to get hammered by 100 seats 70 sounds better ! LIES in a devious form

there was no need to sell the family "silver" { gold } we had billions of oil revenue ...OH hang on in 7 years they spent all that and borrowed against it
    Rob this is where you should take a breath, have a cup of tea and think to yourself " why are they cutting so much with this austerity thing " I do not know if you are married with a family mortgage etc . But running the country is similar to running a household budget. When things do not pan out quite right and you overspend you have to sit down and re work your budget. There is probably a large number on here, and I am one that went through the process more than once! in a family budget substitute austerity for the common terminology "draw our horns in and go without for a bit"
    "2 B I G hairy round things"

12. johngalleyfan2

where were the roots?

13. Cliftonville

The US and lack of regulation.

14. Cliftonville

Tory austerity is ideological. It is based on an economic school of right wing thought - Friedman.

The welfare reforms are not about savings. It is about a ideological opposition. Some of the welfare reforms if you wish to reduce the welfare of humans beings to units and figures still make no economic sense, they cost the tax payer more.

This ideological thought led to the resignation of the work and pensions secretary - https://www.theguardian.com/politic...ith-resigns-from-cabinet-over-disability-cuts

“I am unable to watch passively while certain policies are enacted in order to meet the fiscal self-imposed restraints that I believe are more and more perceived as distinctly political rather than in the national economic interest,” Duncan Smith wrote in a resignation letter to Cameron

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  15. BCFCRob

BCFCRob Well-Known Member

But this is my point JGF! If they need to cut so much and need to be so careful with money, why did they cut taxes for their rich friends and for corporations who they may or may not (definitely do) have other interests in? Why did they cut only for us and allow even more money for the rich if savings were so important?

And they've missed all of their savings targets by the way.

16. banksyisourhero

banksyisourhero Well-Known Member

This debate has now just diminished in to different economic ideologies, one, some will agree with and one some won't. it is now just going to go round in circles. (just like your 100 economists to my 100 economists)

My comments are based on the real life experience of living through a Labour government and Corbyn is as left wing as a Labour leader as any in my lifetime. That is a simple fact.

To give you some idea of how opinions can change with age and experience, one of my closest friends spent 3 weeks in a youth offenders institute for egging the prime minister (Thatcher) when she visited Bristol in about 1981, he hated her and the Tories as a young man.

He wouldn't go near Corbyn or any of his lot now with a bargepole, he hates him. Life experience has changed his views.

But remember, the Tories were beaten in a landslide victory by Tony Blair due to the Tories being constantly getting caught in sleaze allegations, I was disgusted with the Tories at that point and thought I would absolutely never vote for them again.. Then we had the ****ing Labour debacle! But don't think there may not be time I wouldn't vote Labour again, but it would never be for a man like Corbyn, the mans gone delusional and power drunk on losing heavily at this election, God know what he would be like if he had got anywhere near winning.

Opinions change with life experience.. You may need to live it yourself.

17. Cliftonville

And others will have life experience and lived through various Government.

Several posters have provided their life experiences of what the Tories are doing regarding disability allowance. That is a wrong. A moral wrong that has lead to suffering and death.

And there it is. Life tells me that the care of the vulnerable cannot be left in the hands of the Tories. The NHS, the welfare state, schools and education cannot be left in the hands of the Tories. All are being cut, run down ... Indeed in youth you learn in age you know. It is not case of left and right it is right and wrong.

18. johngalleyfan2

banksy put up the "cartoon" , you laugh at cartoons ! about the £6billion
    clue 1 not being nasty is the hmrc said the last time it went up via labour? it raised jack schitt because the money went elsewhere
    clue 2 the tories reduced it? and it had the effect of making more money as it was to much hassle to take abroad
    Should you earn £30k a year you will pay about £5k income tax ... allow someone on £100k + who pays tax and other tax's and it is worth more to the HMRC. I KNOW IT IS HARD TO ACCEPT BUT if they didn't pay it then you would!!!! Like the students, how many will actually earn enough to pay it back!.. the stigma to get over here is have your life live it to the full, and only when you earn "enough" will you pay anything back!

I missed loads of mine ! and no doubt you have missed a few of yours as do most people, and that is because the future is really an unknown .. had I SAVED £10 a month in 1966 and each year added a £1 a month to it and drew it out 3 years ago I would have closer to being worth £1,000,000 than the £500,000 I am now ! I know you are on about immigration target/savings etc but the same basic rules apply ... miss it once and it gets harder

19. johngalleyfan2

I once did a lot for PHAB... but what erks me is a neighbour has a number of "part time jobs" is on disability and does full shifts building extensions and garages! If any thing the government does to eliminate his case, and temporarily has to reassess a genuine claimant then that is OK by me. My grandfather was blind, had a finger and thumb on 1 hand and 2 fingers and part of his palm gone on the other from 1916 he worked 45 years when there was no disability had a family and ran a house....

20. RedorDead

In this thread we've had daft as a brush RR telling us how well he's doing, now we've got JGF telling us he's half a million pound.
    **** me this is a football forum not a I'm considerably richer than you contest.

IMG_0554.JPG

BCFCRob likes this.